1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

juju mvp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by tyler christopher, Oct 6, 2019.

1. brosonke

brosonke Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2018
    I'm sure you had a big problem with JuJu going for the stiff arm on the touchdown, didn't you? It was a great play by Humphrey and if he fails to make the punch, JuJu is well across midfield and we're looking to score.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Look at the fumble. Humphrey was way too close for the stiff arm. It was a useless move that left the ball exposed. The first job is catch the ball. The next job is secure it. After those things are done, the receiver can try to break/escape tackles. Smith-Schuster tried to skip step two to get to step three and it cost his team the game.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, so you read too much into it then. It isn't like it is the first time you have done that. It is actually very funny that you of all people are defending opinions when you really have no idea what one is. Now because I have typed something that seems to have offended you, you all the sudden have learned what an opinion is? As for being dismissive, I wouldn't have responded to that post at all had I been dismissive. I am only challenging the idea that we as fans know better than the player what he should have done. I think you already recognize this and were only wanting to pretend to white knight something that wasn't even there. I value most everyone's input into this board, but that doesn't mean I can't challenge something. I know you exercise that right every chance you get. No matter how many times you will continue to tell me that I was being dismissive (because I know you will), that was absolutely not my intent.

As for the fumble, I don't disagree with you that JuJu should have tried to hold on to the ball better. I just view the play more due to the defender's efforts than JuJu's lack of. It is fine you view it one way, and I view it another. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I both value your opinion and am in no way dismissing it. See how that works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't read too much of it at all. You said Smith-Schuster automatically knows better than posters here because we aren't NFL players. That's exactly the point you made. I didn't read anything extra into it that wasn't there.

You don't have the rhetorical skill or knowledge to offend me. I'm just pointing out how far off base you are and you don't like it. You can challenge all you like, but that statement you made was wrong.

If you really want to say that the guy who fumbled the ball away to cost his team the game shouldn't do a better job protecting it, well, I can't help it if you want to abandon logic that way. I'm not dismissing your opinion because you aren't on an NFL roster. I'm not saying it is wrong because it is you. I'm saying it doesn't really make sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Like I have said already, it is situational awareness, and it comes down to coaching.

JuJu runs the same route twice. Once early in the game and once in overtime, after the Ravens had already posessed the ball.

Early in the game, he can take more of a risk for a splash play because even if it is fumbled, there is time to make up for it. The stiff-arm works and he scores.

In overtime, with over 6 minutes on the clock, and roughly 30 yards from Boswell's range, a splash play is not the goal. A first down and securing the football far outweighs making a splash play. You cannot overcome a turnover in this situation. So you don't fight for extra yards after catching a pass for the first down.

The entire offense should have been aware of this and JuJu should NOT have tried to turn upfield with a defender right on him after winning the battle and getting a first down.

Situational awareness. Take chances when you can overcome an undesireable result. Do not take chances when you can't.

If it was 4th down, with a minute to go, and you're down 3, a completion behind the line to gain isn't enough. You fight for that line regardless of risk. A fumble doesn't matter if you don't get the first down anyway.

Twice now, in critical situations, JuJu has fought for extra yardage after getting a first down instead of securing the ball and continuing the drive. That isn't another player making a play. That is JuJu allowing it to happen by not being situationally aware. Those fumbles are on him.

Lastly, do any of you actually think that if asked, JuJu would say it wasn't his fault? Would he tell you that you win some and lose some? No. He would tell you that it was his fault and that he should have secured the ball. He wouldn't deflect blame. Why? Because it was his fault. He knows it. And anyone not making excuses for him knows it.

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    JuJu wanted to be great with what he attempted. I like his moxie & he will learn from this mistake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    No, you really did read too much into it, but I'm sure you wont admit it because that doesn't fit the illusion you are trying to create. I never said JuJu "automatically" knew better than anyone. I only challenged those knocking him to prove how they know better. That is exactly the point I made. Again, I'm sure you knew that but were only wanting something to twist to be edgy. I'm not off base, so there would no reason to be mad. Furthermore, if you made a valid point, my mind could be changed which you did not. Finally, I wasn't trying to offend you. By your response, being offended just seemed like a by-product. You would certainly know if I was trying because it wouldn't be veiled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sorry you didn't understand the implication of your post. This is one of the lessons I have to teach my students as well. You should take into consideration how your audience can reasonably take in what you write. The implication of your post was that Smith-Schuster knows better because he plays and we don't. THAT was the point you made. If you didn't realize that, you were careless with your words. If you did and you are backtracking now, that's on you. I'm not twisting anything. I'm explaining the implication of what you wrote. It is comical that you didn't get that, yet you now want to claim that you are the one who decides if my point is valid. I'm not offended. I am quite amused.

9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    This would explain why I have such a hard time relating to today's youth. God help our younger generation!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. brosonke

brosonke Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2018
    There was 60+ minutes of football to win the game. I understand it was a big play, but understand other opportunities were there.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I really should give my teenage students more credit than to compare them to you. They deserve it.

12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I assume you also teach them to run away and never respond when they are shown to be flat out wrong.

13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The play happened quickly as most NFL plays do. Bang bang play. The people that believe that Juju could had tucked the ball away any better are cluess. We even have a clueless person that wants to blame coaching.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Lol, yeah. Because coaching really has no bearing on the outcome of a contest. I hear the NFL is looking into doing away with coaching staffs altogether after reading your comment. They are considering letting the players run the teams and come up with their own gameplans, practice sessions, and discipline.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    JuJu has 2 fumbles in his career. I think he has a pretty good idea on how to secure a football.

The vitriol being directed at him is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I agree about the vitriol but in fairness they were two really horribly timed fumbles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Totally agree about the 60+ minutes of opportunities . But those 60+ minutes got us to a tie game in overtime. It's a process where you build on the play before and the drive before until you get to the end of the game. We had built on each play and each drive up until that last drive. Every opportunity realized or squandered had got us there and it was up to our offense to realize that last opportunity.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They were but if the guy is guilty of anything, it's trying too much. He certainly knows how to secure the football.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Is that an accusation against me. Please show me the thread where you think this happened. This is not something I do. There are certainly fair criticisms that can be made about the way I post, but this is not one of them. There are plenty of occasions when folks falsely claim I have been proven wrong. I tend to stick around and argue too much in such situations.

That said, I do sometimes lose track of threads on this board because there are so many. If there is one you think I ran from, point it out. I'll gladly respond one way or the other.

Edit: Now I see. It was on the thread about the bad call. I did mix you up with another poster on part of that, but no, I wasn't proven flat-out wrong on the way hits to the quarterback's head are officiated.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Is it vitriol to point out that he made a devastating error that cost his team an opportunity to win a game it had to have? I'm not saying he's a bad guy or questioning his value as a player. I am telling the people that refuse to admit Smith-Schuster made a mistake that they are wrong.

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    ITS OVER!!!! Let it go already. Nobody wins... He shouldn't have fumbled but he did wether its because he's on Instagram, it's his arm sleeve or lack of a stiff arm or trying too hard or the fact that the damn DB made a helluva play. He could've caught the ball and just fell down and some here would ***** about why didn't he try beating off the defender like earlier for the TD hahahahahaha... It's ridiculous.

Kids a damn good football player and will be so moving forward no doubt. Every player every year has a whoopsie moment if not a few... It's simply the law of averages in football and all sports. In all honesty, it is nothing anymore than a **** happens moment that he came out on the wrong side of. The other dude gets paid to make **** happen as well. He got roasted the first time and got paid in that moment. Outside of just catching the ball and falling down I really have no idea more what he could've done... Maybe had he done that he gets injured or the phantom football hiccup happens like **** seems to around here.... What if it all you want but it's really as pointless as hoping for one less pick from the deusche that remains nameless or the back that coughed up the ball against GB... Both of which helped lead to 2 Super Bowl losses. It happened and can't be undone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I never said coaching doesn't have an impact on the out come of games. To suggest lack of coaching had an impact on a fumble is moronic. Grown men know they need to take care of the ball. It's preached over and over again throughout players careers.

That being said the defender made a great play. Sometimes fans and coaches need to accept and acknowledge that the other guys get coached and paid too.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    As I pointed out earlier, it can be both a great play by the defender and a terrible play by Smith-Schuster. It doesn't have to be one or the other. In fact, it was both.

24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    It's not over until people stop wanting to talk about it. If YOU want it to be over, stop reading the damn thread. Do you really think those on a MESSAGE BOARD are going to have an epiphany after reading your cease and desist order and simply stop offering their opinions? Good googly moogly.

You saying it's over makes me want to talk about it even more. So I think I will.

JuJu is an emotional kid. I don't think anyone can dispute that. He's a super hero, and as we all know, super heros all have a weakness. His is his emotions. Kind of reminds me of Slash a little. Remember how loveable he was? Big smile. Effusive. Made the rat face in the huddle. Great talent. But the pressure to succeed mounted and his mistakes got in his head. Eventually he wasn't able to put them behind him.

I can easily see JuJu feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders if he fumbles away another game or two. Once is an accident, twice is a mistake,but three times is a pattern. If he does it again, it's really going to get in his head.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't single you out. Scan through the posts about JuJu and I'm sure you'll find plenty of examples.