1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you know?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Stone, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Living here in the Cleveland area I am utterly amazed at how ignorant the media and fans are when it comes to football in the NFL. The talk shows and fans have Mayfield as a lock for the HOF and they will NOT be reasoned with.

So I started thinking, when am I willing to say "yep. that guy is the real deal" or "Nope, he's a bust"?

1. For a QB, it's after his third year.
    2. For a LB, it's after his second year.
    3. For WR, it's a split decision. You can tell if he can run routes and get separation pretty quickly but it takes a couple years before you know if you can depend on him to always be where he is supposed to be so the QB doesn't throw that pick where there was not a receiver in the zip code.
    4. For a RB, it's like a WR. You can tell if he has moves and quickness right away, but when has he learned to pick up blitzes and release off of blocks?

What say you?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's like children in how they all grow at their own pace. Some QB's flourish early like Marino and some take quite a wile like Plunkett.Cedric Benson was a bust in Chicago but quite produtive in Cinci a few years later.

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Tough call. There have been some who started out strong only to drop off after a few years. I do know when the Steelers drafted Ben I said we got a HOF QB for years to come.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Depends on the player. You can't lump them all together. Some start well and turn to the darkside. Baker has already started running his mouth about other players from his team and other teams. Success sometimes goes to your head. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I was elated that day too, and it turned out to be true, but as a whole, you wouldn't want to bet too awful much on a QB until he's had a few years.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m going to aim mostly at the first sentence. Cleveland hasn’t had professional football in a whole generation. They don’t have anything to base it on.

With regard to the rest, in my opinion longevity is part of it and not brief snippets. If a guy is good for 5 or more years, then yes, real deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Exactly! 90% of Browns fans have never seen a good football organization and the fact that the Steelers were the model franchise for decades made Browns fans shy away from thinking about it even more. They place no importance on culture, leadership, ownership, a system, etc. etc. This is why they will fall harder than ever before when the Browns end up being something between 5-11 and 7-9 this year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Wrong section bro.

9. Brad Conrad

Brad Conrad Member

Dec 5, 2017

Baker could prove to be a great QB, he hasn't come close to proving anything yet. I'm not even sure what they base their assumptions on in the first place. He looked ok last year, his numbers were very pedestrian at best. Just shaking my head.

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Thanks bro! I don't know what I'd do if you didn't follow me around disliking my posts and correcting me. You are such a huge help to this board!;)

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Once you understand Browns fans it makes a little more sense. While Mayfields performance last year was average, it was leaps and bounds better than anything the Browns have seen in a long time so "he is great".

It's like an inbred family who thinks their 16 year old daughter/sister could win any beauty contest! This is because their world consists only of what goes on inside their home. After all, she only has two warts on her face, her boobs aren't too saggy yet, and she is a wildcat in bed!

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes timing is different with everybody.

Edmunds was always going to need time. He was very young but full of potential. I think the Steelers acknowledged he should not have played so much last year but had to out of necessity. Give him some time and he will be fine.

Even though I hated the pick at the time, the fact that JuJu has been so good, so quickly, tells me he will be a perennial Pro Bowl stud as long as Ben is throwing him the ball. He was so young coming out of college.

13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    This. I suspect Baker will be stuck in an Andy-Dalton-limbo, just good enough to be frustrating that he isn't a better leader.
    (Be a better leader like Ben! )

There have been too many QBs that look great in their rookie year, and come crashing to earth when other teams study film in the off season. If Baker puts up decent numbers this 2nd year, I'd say he is good enough.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Hey no problem glad I could help bro. You forgot to mention that I gave you some likes on your post too.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I never said you didn't know how to kiss ass.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Holy crap! Where do you live??
    Bro....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I live south of Cleveland but I grew up an hour north of the Burgh and yes, it was so far out in the boonies there were a few families that acted like they never saw other people. Our school bus had to drive many miles back dirt roads to pick them up and they looked like they never bathed, never brushed their hair or teeth, and had the fear of God in them when they got on the bus:rolleyes: People abused them but I felt bad for them.

I don't feel sorry for Browns fans!:cool:

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Damn! And people out here joke about Santee! It's called everything, from "Klantee" to "Santucky"! But anyone who lives in San Diego county knows, those kind of people moved to Lakeside 30 years ago!

I don't feel bad for Charger fans either!

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They are starved for a winner, you must remember Art Modell ripping the team from
    the city and moving it to Baltimore. They have a very good nucleus of players on paper.
    They will have to show the world they can do it on the field and I think they can play with anybody now.

20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014

Up around Slippery Rock, or more NE like up in Armstrong County/Jefferson County? I've been fishing and hunting up there all of my life and there are lots of a areas where you might hear banjo music if you listen carefully.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I live up in Hooterville in NW PA. There was a guy for years down the holler who would play bagpipes at dusk. It was eerie but nice.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The area he is talking about has to be the Moniteau region. There is almost no cell phone service there and even electricity is spotty. Some of the roads are closed in the winter because they are impassable. You drive for miles and miles and suddenly in the middle of a cornfield beside a giant lake is the high school. A referee at one of their football games said the homecoming queen and her court came riding onto the football field at halftime on ATV's.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My “local” high school does have drive your tractor to school day. And a friend in a rural NY region had a sauerkraut queen.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    My class had the Salmon Queen, but I'm not sure it was school sanctioned.