1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't want Ben back...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Sep 16, 2019.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    If Rudolph plays really well then next year Ben should be made to compete for the starting QB job. No free rides for anyone. By the way this team did more for him than he did for them.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    How quickly you forget.

After a 6–10 season in 2003, and an injury in week 2 against the Ravens in the 2004 season, Maddox again became a backup quarterback to Steelers first-round draft pick Ben Roethlisberger.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It is all speculation at this point. I heard to day, depending on the type of injury that Ben realistically may not be ready till next December. At the very least I would venture to say he very well may start the year on IR and not be able to suit up till the 8th game. Seeing they just traded the first pick next year, the amount of money invested in Ben, Mason will be the starting QB for awhile.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

We essentially had a brand new wide receivers this year. Juju and Washington stepping into larger roles and the addition of moncrief and the rookie. What did Ben do for the Steelers through the offseason and training camp? Did he work with all those guy every day after practice making sure everyone was on the same page and building chemistry or did he take his usual days off and do nothing extra? This offseason is one of the instances where your franchise qb has to step up and be a true leader. Ben opted for his normal approach and it shows on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Look I think everybody on here wants to see Mason do great.He has the tools and the attitude to play the position well.
    Only problem is ,is that he has done nothing as of now.I think we would be fools to think he's gonna step in and repeat Bens rookie season.
    Ben has been there ,done that and I do think there should be some loyalty to our HOF quarterback.They don't grow on trees.
    I remember watching Noll coached teams in the 80's that struggled with Malone,Stoudt,and Brister...90,s with O'Donnell,Tomzack ,and Stewart...Kent graham,Maddox…
    20 years till Ben came along..I realize Ben is not the future at this point,and if heathy I don't know if he has one more run in the tank,but this defense and coaching is what has been holding this team back for a number of years now.Not Ben Rothlisberger.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will make that deal, where do I sign?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    True. Back when we actually had a defense. We've got the talent on the O and at least the draft picks on the D. The biggest difference on this list is the coach. We have the biggest underachieving cliche-slinging, mean-mugging, non-coaching community organizer in the league for a coach.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt he uproots his family, pulls his kids out of school just so he can be reunited with BA.

Not at his age and coming off that surgery.

Not even sure he'll have a job next year. Misusing OJ and leaving the better RB on the bench.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    We can't win a game with Ben and current coaching. What makes anyone think we can win a game without Ben and current coaching? Have at it.....

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    And Ben is WAYYY better than Eli, especially at this stage in their careers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Tom Brady and Drew Brees are on some LONG rookie contracts then. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Along with Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson!

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    nightmare scenario is mason does subpar, Tomlin keeps his job due to ben being out, and Ben comes back calling the shots and we remain subpar for years to come lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If they didn't plan on keeping Tomlin at least thru next season (despite the teams record) I don't think they would have extended him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah but wasnt it just a 1 year extension?

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yes, but he was already under contract thru the 2020 season. They didn't have to worry about extending him until the end of next season.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Bens rookie season was nothing spectacular stat wise, he had 17 TDs 11 picks, what he did have was a running game a solid oline and a number 1 defense that made him little more than a game manager, I expect mason will have better stats this year than ben had his first year in TD production.................

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It amazes me how bad Eli Manning got. He declined so fast. Still a HOF famer though in my book.

He was like the only guy who could take down the Patriots machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I would say the giants defense took the patriots down both times, eli did get them to the SB in the playoffs, he gets credit for his solid play in the playoffs....

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Big throws at the end of the game, some lucky but I'm glad he made them or Pats would have 2 more Super Bowls

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think he needed a change of scenery a couple seasons ago, then he might still be solid/serviceable.

22. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Yeah, they really protected him his rookie year. He only made 295 attempts and averaged 185 yds/game. That team was built on D, Jerome, and that O-line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Russell Wilson just signed his deal, No? Anyway I said the ideal situation and it is

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Eli was phenomenal in the playoffs. He went into quite a few hostile environments and played lights out. He doesn’t really get recognized among the elite but I’m forever grateful for taking down NE or we’re already behind 2 SBs. 2x MVP he’s a first ballot HOFer

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Then I pray for a lockout, a long one

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2