1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin Doesn't Coach!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Sep 16, 2019.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    We have had this debate for years, Some agree with me while others disagree. I will say that both sides have made good points but there is one point of contention that has now become clearly visible. Tomlin doesn't coach, for years he has been winging it and the last two weeks it is becoming apparent.

He rode the wave of a good defense that was in place when Cowher was here but when those guys left what happened? For the last 7 years he not only failed to rebuild the defense, it has actually become a joke. This team now needs 30 points per game just to have a chance and 42 seconds in a close game is far too often too much time.

I believe the winning record is the result of superior talent in key positions and we are now seeing what happens when the talent is gone. We are getting on Ben and he isn't good but look at the dropped passes and look at the receivers, who is even getting open?

The running game look like it did when the team had the worst o-line in football, and the same issues every week. That is the "smoking gun" so to speak, the issues that never get fixed, even going back before Ryan Shazier there has been communication issues with the defense.

The game planning was never there with Tomlin, he admitted to it but without any bonafide super stars you need to scheme a bit. Our coach looks to be incapable of doing it for a single game let alone an entire season. Regardless how this season ends up the truth is that Mike Tomlin needs to go.

I also know that I'm going to hear the "who is there to replace him" argument and I don't know. What I do know is that whoever is out there can't be much worse, any high school coach that would be gifted a franchise QB and top 5 defense would have won early on as well.

I think he needs to finish out the season and either step down or be fired, no other way as this team needs a fresh look. I think at this point the only flak they will get from getting rid of their minority coach is from Stephen A. Smith but nobody really cares about his opinions anyway so they can take pride in saying only "4" head coaches in over 40 years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    We know this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    So after 12 years it's become apparent that Tomlin doesn't coach? Ok that makes no sense at all.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I Like Coach Tomlin. His loyalty will be his down fall. He lets his asst coaches do their jobs and no matter what their job performance is he doesn’t step in to help or make any changes. Butler and Fichtner happen to be long time friends and that trumps their boss/employee relationship.

He has given Ben too much power and lead way. He can do or say what he wants.

Cajun

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Here is where I stand on Mike Tomlin.

You lost your franchise QB for a length of time.

We can't run the football and we are struggling in defense.

We staring an an 0-2 hole.

The national media makes it out that your a good coach.

Good coaches do more with less talent.

Let's see you be a good coach.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Isn’t part of his job makings sure his coordinators are doing their jobs? They can be friends off the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    lack of talent is going to expose all the coaches this year. If AR3 sits back and does nothing then we are screwed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I'm not at all sure how much real authority that the Rooneys give Tomlin with respect to coordinators. It always seems that some moves are done at the behest of the Rooneys and the front office, i.e. canning Arians, hiring Butler, Fichtner, etc. Now Tomlin may be in total agreement with these and other staffing decisions, but I don't think there's any doubt that there's some "input" from higher ups.

One thing I've maintained is that the comparisons to Belichik, i.e. "if this happened in New England, he'd be gone...", are really not valid because Tomlin just doesn't have the same level of authority within the organization that Belichik has within his and everyone knows it. It's just not the Steelers way. Cowher had to really fight to get greater authority which he got by squeezing Donahoe out after the 6-10 '99 season. It may take something like that from Tomlin, but I'm not sure that's a battle he'd win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    It is....... and maybe his hands are tied to a degree where he can’t make coaching personnel decisions. Thinking about LeBeau and Arians. Maybe his hands are tied in player decisions/roster building, which would fall on Colbert.

We really don’t know how much authority he really has at this point of his career but if it’s limited like it’s being possibly proposed what does that say about how his superiors really think of him and his decision making ability. If it isn’t limited and he has the power what does that say. He cut Spencer,Holton,Skipper and kept Switzer, Chick, Chuks, Johnson

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    LMAO at your sig... so true. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess either scenario is a lose/lose. I feel a HC should have a major say with coaches and players. It should be his job to keep or lose. Like you said I’d they don’t have confidence in his decision making,, maybe they should find someone they trust to run the team. I’ve always heard he and Colbert are in lock step with their decision making for the most part. I don’t think they would co exist for so long if they weren’t. Who knows the dynamics but we do know it’s not working right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Ever watch Tomlin during the game? Every time they show him on camera he's standing there deer-in-the-headlights look on his face. No communication, no studying film or looking at the playbook. I wonder if his headset is even plugged in or if it's just tucked in his underwear.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What’s going to be possibly crazy is, if somehow miracles occur and this team rebounds hard.....the TV goofs will call him possible Coach of Year.

14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think that Tomlin got overridden at times by Colbert and/or the owner in regard to coaching decisions. Any coach that doesn't do what his bosses want is usually out of a job.

I think the Steelers should consider looking outside the organization for a new DC after this season. A new OC that comes from outside is probably going to face resistance from Ben.

15. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He's crapping his pants right now. With Ben out, he cant even fall back on that anymore.

16. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Put up or shut up time. We will have to see. This all is under the assumption that Keith Butler can coordinate the defense.

A MASSIVE if at that.

18. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Same look Lovie Smith had on his face in Chicago while coaching. At least Lovie made a great defense, every OC he brought in he let do whatever he wanted, and it showed.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You couldn't post this nonsense in the other Tomlin threads :facepalm:

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Which one?
    I’ll bet if you go look he’s probably posted the same stuff in multiple Tomlin threads.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I watch what I see on TV, which is usually no more than a few seconds, and often after a play when he's looking at the replay.

I've said it before - there's plenty to judge Tomlin on the field for. Drawing conclusions because he's not doing a breakdance every time the camera is on him isn't really necessary.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This one is new and refreshing though

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Is it really? :beathorse:

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Huge difference between NE and Pittsburgh. BB is head coach and general manager. He decides which players he wants and drafts or signs them. Tomlin has to deal with what AR2 and Colbert give him.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Huge difference between NE and Pittsburgh. BB is head coach and general manager. He decides which players he wants and drafts or signs them. Tomlin has to deal with what AR2 and Colbert give him.

• Agree Agree x 1