1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Think they're missing James on Offense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Where were the jumbo sets against NE?

They were down a TE so there were no 2 TE sets where both guys and catch that ball and is a Height/weight mismatch even if you rotate coverage.

Say what you want James played his part in this Offense and developed into a solid role player.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He was a good role player. However, I think he got paid like far more than a role player in free agency. The price was too steep IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    TJ Hockenson had a great game for the Lions too, going 6 for 131 and a TD. I see James had 1 for 15. Betcha James was pissed when they drafted TJ.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, I'm not saying they should have paid him that much. They probably should have had a better plan to replace him though.

5. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    He was an asset. Big target and a game changer. I wasn’t happy seeing him leave, i think he had better hands than Vance honestly

6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I liked him, he did a lot of things right including finding open lanes. Hated to see him go.

7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I dunno.. Good question. I cannot rewatch the game. It's actually the only loss I cannot watch. Putting that one behind me lol

I was actually extremely surprised that Vance was not part of the game plan.. Maybe someone that actually rewatched could explain. Did they need Vance in on the game
    to block for Ben. How many snaps was he even on the field?

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    they did a write up on steelersdepot on why Vance didn't get more looks. It was because he was covered 1v1 for the most part. Patriots didn't even really double our guys, they just beat them 1v1. Randy called a terrible game as well, did not put guys in position to succeed, like Vance running 10-20 yards out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They did a break down on Steelers Depot and Chung had him blanketed pretty much the whole game . It doesn’t seem to me they did much if any scheming to get him open. They basically had him running routes in the middle of the field off the LOS. I think if they would of put him in motion and attacked the perimeter of the defense especially in the flats they may have gotten more out of him besides the nothing they actually got. Idk. Doesn’t seem like he was a vital part of the game plan, if we had one at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    James was another under appreciated player here. All he did was go out and do his job.

I think they are going to move away from the two TE formations they have been running. They had Conner and Samuels on the field together, they may be going that route.

This is a quote from Fichtner on Vance's playing time:

“He still won’t,” Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner said of McDonald’s playing time increasing substantially this season.

“He’s never going to play the full game. That’s never going to happen.”

Have a very good TE weapon but don't want him heavily involved :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think they do miss JJ. Ben had confidence in him to make tough catches. Having Vance and JJ was a luxury. I'm not sure JJ would have helped any last Sunday. Maybe we lose 30 to 6 if he was here.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Having two capable TEs could of changed a lot more. We may have been able to run the ball more effectively without having to tip our hand.

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    True. But that game was such an utter disaster on so many levels that it would have taken a lot more than James to be competitive. Even if we had more of a running game NE still marched up and down the field.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes but a couple third and short conversions change a lot but true our D would of still lost us the game

15. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need a DOG like Harrison on this defense!!!! No team fears the Steelers as of lately, and that needs to change!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Wouldn't mind using magic and making H. Miller young again:)

17. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    STEEL CURTAIN III Where you at???:shrug::dfense:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have played 1 game, how can we make an observation after 1 game?