1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Seattle game a must win

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 12, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't want to be 0-2, with a trip to the West Coast up next for game 3 against the 49ers.

2. HOT MODELS

HOT MODELS Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Seahawks just improved defense but i still see Steelers winning the next two games and week one was just that week one.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I dont see it as just week 1. Week 1 is normally when you catch the Pats slipping and what also makes it worse is the whole world was rooting for the steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    In what aspect? In terms of playoffs?

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agreed.

0-2 is not favorable terms. This is not even accounting for what is going on in the division. Games like this early in the season will come back to sting for certain.

However, this is doubly more so for the NFC tiebreakers. Between the two, those four NFC matchups may have more value than one realizes depending on the circumstances. You only have four shots to beat those teams.

6. HOT MODELS

HOT MODELS Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2019
    I agree totally, I did expect the Pats to lose. But i didn't expect Tomlin to coach one of his worst 3 games ever. Tomlin had soo much time to prepare. Outside of one trick play did Pats do anything that should have been a surprise? I didn't think so. Brady and McDaniels generally are real poor first 4 games and secondary and tackling the worst but Pats have experienced defense now front 7 and secondary. When Brady lost his right tackle and got pressured he did what we all knew he would do. Throw the ball in the ground and go 3 and out. I thought Bush would have at least 2 sacks himself.

I expect Steeler D to do a great deal of sacks in the next two games. Special Teams needs to look better tho. Tomlin just can't be so bad. I still think he is the main reason for a non comeot competitive game 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s funny some of us thought we had a chance because NE starts slow. Little did we realize Tomlin was using week 1 to evaluate the team. So they might start slow but we decided to start in reverse.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    IMO Hell yes!! I believe it was the 1976 Steelers who started 1-4 (memory???) and turned it on and kicked ass rest of season. This team is not close to the 76 Steelers. I do not think this is a top 16 football team. They lose Sunday, most likely going to be 2 back heading out west.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Mathematically? No
    Psychologically? YES

The week 1 excuse is out the window. Foxboro excuse is out the window. IMO the psychology of this team is fragile. They told us all offseason that they were extra motivated, focused and ready to prove all the doubters wrong.
    Hmmm....coulda fooled me. I didn’t like the reactions coming out of the locker room after the L. That’s why to me it’s a must win. That trip to the West Coast is gonna seem a whole lot further boarding that plane 0-2. They’ll get a W.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Are you implying that Tomlin was more concerned about the Seattle game and didn't want to show his hand in a nationally televised game against the Pats? ;) Makes as much sense as any other feeble response. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Not really. What I’m saying is even after OTAs ,training camp and preseason he still felt it was the right time to further his evaluation of his own team and not worry about the opponent. You know “do what we do”....

Some of the mind blowing comments coming out of the locker room following the game are. They wanted it more than us and it was a reality check. A national game against the SB champs . That’s sad. It comes from the HC.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The Steelers were beat when the schedule came out with this game on it. That's what's sad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    0-2 would be a huge disappointment and may make the players question themselves. I still have not come to terms with the magnitude of the defeat last weekend, the one dimensional game plan, the ineptitude, the lack of fight. A follow up defeat at home would be hard to come back from.

Contrast that with the Ravens who blew the doors off last weekend and have the Cardinals this weekend. They will probably be 2-0. If the Steelers are 0-2 then the Ravens should be firm favourites for the Division

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Definitely a must win. All 16 are imo. They need a big game to waft out the stench of week 1.

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

The whole world wasn't rooting for the Steelers. Not even close. Many fans of other teams hate us more than anything. I know. I live all around them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They were after the ab situation.

17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I would hope the effort and emotion will be there, especially at home. But I don't know what to expect out of this team anymore. They looked borderline disinterested after they got behind three possessions Sunday night. The defense has been shaky for the better part of of this decade and now the offense they used to be able to rely on has more questions than answers after losing two of their biggest play makers. I think we'll see a better effort, but their effort this Sunday could hardly be worse than versus Patriots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I won't have a decent appraisal of the situation we are in until after we win our 1st game. That could be this week (hopefully) or may be a while. I can take a couple of losses early on if we are at least competitive.

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry, I wasn't serious (rarely am). I should have sported the green font. Their play and coaching were the closest thing to a forfeit as I've seen in quite a while. Sad no matter how we look at it or spin it.

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Not the whole world lol I’m sure bengals browns ravens and cowboys fans here weren’t

21. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I say yes...if for no other reason then to get that week 1 stink off them.

HACK

22. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Digging up these stats is not my thing, but I defy someone to prove a reasonable trend in the a-hole pats recent run in the superbowl winning era of not starting well. You might have a few examples over 13 years or so, but this seems to be a created narritive to show something that is not really there.

Additionally, where and when have we ever seen Tomlin use any game to make a calculated decision on an appropriate move to make a smart adjustment to win against any team? He sits on the inertia he prepared the team to operate on.

I think the Steelers during the Tomlin regime have won on the middle of the road teams while somehow having decent (not great) success at good teams and faltered epically against really good AND really bad teams. Hence our regular-season records of mediocre vaule of around 10-11 wins with some surprises against good teams and suicide-inducing losses against very bad teams. Especially against the west coast franchise road games. Our divisional success is just above 50% and enough to earn us a playoff spot because of the bungles and the turds.

Tomlin, Roethlisberger and the Rooney's have kept us very competitive but not elite. This season will be no different. I think out Vegas odds are disappointingly going to be pretty accurate.

Our stairway to 7 will be a while.

23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Which AB situation are you referring to? The statement is vague as there were several.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No need to apologize. I didn’t take it that way. Your sense of humor is appreciated and needed:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Actually statistically you might be right. They might not start as slow as people think but I guess since almost every year ends in the SB ,the first few weeks might seem a little underwhelming compared to how they finish.