1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you were the GM...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by pjgruden, Sep 9, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If I were gm I would fire myself for allowing this to go on this long.:cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Can’t say I love the coaches, but the Steelers have a definite talent issue as well. There just aren’t enough big playmakers on either side of the ball. I think people have unrealistic expectations of the team. It’s a very mediocre roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Scott Frost.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hell, Jack frost would be better.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes would be better than our current Head coach and OC &DC.

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    If i was GM Tomlin would STILL be in my office getting his ass chewed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steeler in kansas

Steeler in kansas New Member

Sep 9, 2019

8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    :facepalm:

Do you know anything about the Steelers and the way the Rooney's work?

A $15M/year, 10 year deal? Are you kidding?

First, the Steelers will pay for performance, but they won't overpay for it. IIRC, one of Cowher's beefs was always he wasn't better paid. Not to mention a 10 year deal would make Saban 77 years old and Harbaugh 66 at the end of that contract. No way, the Steelers are doing that. Finally, the Steelers don't hire NFL HC retreads which is what Saban or Harbaugh would be and don't forget Saban was a complete failure at Miami despite having all the resources available to him.

If you were GM, Art II would laugh you out of the office.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steeler in kansas

Steeler in kansas New Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Saban sounds good but he'll never leave bama. He's essentially coaching in the pros but doesn't have to put up with the prima donas he's got total control

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. TxSteelFan

TxSteelFan Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Fire Butler; bring in Kevin Greene; trade Bud, Chickillo, Switzer and 3rd rounder to Seattle for Clowney; bring back Eli Rodgers; bring in Eric Berry; if team doesn't improve 10 fold instantly - resign.

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That would require Art Rooney to not be cowardly and well...you know. Don't rock the boat. It may be sinking but slowly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Seahawks aren't trading Clowney, certainly not for those guys.

Firing Butler and bringing back Rogers aren't bad ideas.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It's astounding we're still stuck with a Lebeau flunky as DC. If you're not going to have a quality HC is it too much to ask for quality assistants? As Paul Zeise has said this defense needs completely new blood. Start over already!

14. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    The question wasn’t what the current staff would do, it’s what we would do if we were GM.

Learn to read and comprehend before trying to lecture anyone.

I’ve forgotten more about our loss poor management then you’ve learned so sit the f down and learn to read before posting

15. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Nick Saban is almost at the end of his career, IMO. Alabama will be his last job.

Jim Harbaugh? No thanks. He's a head case to put it nicely.

If it were me, I'd go and find the next Sean McVay or Doug Pederson. Someone who will build an offensive system around Mason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    :rawk::rawk::rawk:

17. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018

LOL. Someone got butthurt.

The question is "If you were GM..." not if you were the owner. I hate to break it to you, but if you were GM, you'd still have to answer to Art II, so those are the bounds.

And even if you didn't have to answer to Art II, backing up the Brinks truck for Saban or Harbaugh and committing to them for 10 years would still be silly.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If I were GM he’d still be hitchhiking back from Foxboro wearing a T-shirt that says “I just got ____ed by Bill Bellechick.... AGAIN”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why do people keep bringing up Saban? I don't think he is leaving Alabama for any job and the Steelers wouldn't go after a guy like that.

20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I hate to agree with you, but you're correct.

a) He's 67. He's got complete control, makes a ton of money, and worshiped as a God there. He isn't going anywhere.
    b) Even if he did, he'd be mailing it in pretty quickly once the going got a little rocky or he'd cut bait and go back to college ball.
    c) He was a complete failure in the NFL. The Dolphins gave him complete control and a virtually unlimited budget. He still stunk. (OK, it could have been different, see below, but wasn't.)
    d) As mentioned he doesn't fit what the Rooney's do.

Sidebar: His entire tenure as Dolphins HC was made by one bad decision there, probably the single most impactful personnel decision of the last 20 years in the NFL. Deciding to sign Duante Culpepper instead of Drew Brees as his QB. Both were FA's coming off an injury and he felt it was better to go with the QB coming off a leg injury was one coming off an arm injury. Think about how much that single decision may have changed the course of the football, both pro and college. If he would have signed Brees, he may have been successful and stayed in the NFL. The pax Belichick/Brady might have been challenged yearly by Saban/Brees in the AFC East at a minimum and AFC and league as a whole Would Alabama and the SEC have ever reached the position it's in now without Saban raising the bar for the entire conference?

21. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Mediocre is being nice. This team sucks

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes and that common denominator is the organization and ownership. Pretty sure the minority owners ( well look at what I just did there) have asked for a change in leadership. Until this organization gets their collective you know what out of you know where we should just sit back and watch the circus because until there is real change this is the new constant.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I believe Colbert has his parachute on already, not committing to stay.

24. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Saban tried the NFL and failed miserably, and quickly went back to college where he flourishes. He's never leaving Alabama until retirement IMO...

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Imo, Frost isn't going anywhere. At least not in the next five years. He's Nebraska born and bred and living out his goal of becoming the next Tom Osborne. He won't leave unless that chance of being that somehow becomes unrealistic.