1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Week 1 Steelers at Patriots

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I only saw the predict the score for this game, and didn't really see a thread discussing the actual game so I apologize if its posted somewhere else.

I'm really nervous about this one because we all know about the slow starts every year but I have a feeling that the Steelers are going to click and really prove they are a contender.

I think the defense is a bit better than last year judging from the preseason but we'll have to see.

I think they surprise us and pull out the win.
    I'm hoping i'm not wrong its not another season of more of the same.

Your thoughts?

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    My thoughts we lose. I hate Brady and Company but no way they lose with their fans going crazy as they raise their 6th SB banner. I sure the hell won't watch that.

One year Brady peppered us with short passes to start the game and damn if it didn't work to perfection. I'm guessing that is how this game starts.

When the season really heats up the first game will be long forgotten.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Patriots start off slow, but Steelers start even slower. Steelers have never won at Gillette facing Brady/Belichick. Defense is going to go through the motions, Brady will create a lot of "popcorn" plays. Offense will be out of sync until the 2nd quarter. Steelers will tease us and pull within a TD, in early 3rd quarter.. and then the wheels will fall off like they usually do at Gillette.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Steelers (+6) at Patriots
    The Patriots have eaten the Steelers' lunch for much of the last half-decade, and they've often done it in crucial situations. But New England's 5-1 record vs. Pittsburgh in the AFC rivals' last six meetings isn't nearly as lopsided as it sounds. The Steelers won the most recent matchup, and without an overturned Jesse James score the year prior, they'd probably have two straight vs. Bill Belichick. Their last two games vs. the Patriots have been decided by one score, and the Kansas City Chiefs proved in 2017 that Belichick and Tom Brady can be beaten in Foxborough to open the year. Never doubt Bill and Brady, but don't count on a blowout here. The Steelers still have more than enough talent to rival the reigning champions. Take the Steelers and the points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Im4steelers

Im4steelers Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2019
    I think the Steelers will score a td on the 1st possession and never give up the lead. Our defense is much better and faster than last year. And we did beat them last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Hopefully this is finally a down year for the Patriots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    There is 3 step process to beat the Patriots.

1. Run the ball successfully. Eat the clock up keep Brady on the sidelines
    2. Don't turn the ball over. As in zero turnovers.
    3. Hope they make one turnover.

You do all three. You got a chance.
    Our own fanbase, the media, will all expect the Steelers to lose.
    Maybe things change this time. Truth be told I'm glad this is our 1st game, because it will be behind us and not circled on the calendar, and then the Steelers start over looking teams like Denver and Oakland.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Your chances of beating NE go up if you catch them early in the season. I like that we got them game 1.

NE has no Gronk, their first rd pick went down, they did go out and resign Thomas but if they cut him in the first place, its a desperation move. Gordon will be rusty.

That leaves Edelman is their biggest threat. Bush can earn his chops in his first NFL game against him.

We have a lot of new moving parts and our own question marks but I think the defense will actually come to play and give us a chance to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I think they can win this game as well but it’s definitely going to take some things going the Steelers way to do so. The Steelers need to hit and get pressure on Brady and frustrate him. They need to get a couple of turnovers which tilt the field in their favor. And they are gonna have to hope that Tom Brady has a bit of an off game and is not as sharp as he usually is which I think has a good chance of happening.

The offense needs to score touchdowns and not FG’s, Mike Tomlin has to use the clock and his timeouts and challenges in this game to near perfection, and they can’t commit stupid penalties that will take away big plays in the game. I like the Steelers chances in this game and think they can win the game by a FG or a TD if they do a lot of the things I said they needed to do above.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Turnovers in the 3rd quarter @ Gillette usually doom the Steelers. This is how Patriots win every time... Pats D gets turnovers and Brady gets great field position to work with. Brady dinks and dumps, 4-6 yard completions... until TD is scored. This formula works every time for them.

11. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I now bet NFL since we got legal sports betting. I will only bet against the Steelers once this season and it will be this game. I was happy as hell when I saw the line. IMO this is one of the few sure bets I feel I'll make this year. So if we lose it better be by more then 6 points. We win, I better win my other bets to even things out.

12. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    I'm a relative newcomer to this sport but this strikes me as a 3 step plan to win against almost any team

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Match up of the game for me is the Steelers D-line vs the Pats O-line. Cheatriots have had a lot of moving players this last week and if the d-line plays well they can be very disruptive. Hopefully Tuitt and Co play like they did in game 3.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I like the over/under of 51 points more than taking the 6 points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not sure if we’ll win the game or not but we need to be competitive. With all the talk this offseason about being focused and prepared the least they can do is give NE everything they can handle and then some. We don’t show up for this game I will have serious doubts about this team backing up their talk.....

16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Tough tough call on over/under. I think the 6 points is a gift. I was sure it was going to be 7 1/2. It is a bet I won't mind losing as long as we win but if we lose by under 6 points I'll be pissed a long time. I'll be rooting hard for Steelers regardless of the $$$$$$ but I sure hope by game time I am on the plus side with my other bets.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Should be a great game. I hope we finally beat those chumps in their house.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Cutting Thomas had nothing to do with their opinion of him and everything to do with creating a roster spot to carry their first round wide receiver thru the 52 man cut so they could put him on designated to return IR. Thomas is a veteran and didnt have to pass thru waivers when they cut him for the 2 days they planned to have him off their roster. Just sound roster management.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Headline in the Tribune Review:

Mike Tomlin says pass rush has to rattle Tom Brady

How come we didn't think of this?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Your right but some teams are bad, and you can get away with more like , not creating a turnover or having a turnover.
    Some teams it won't matter with TOP because they don't have Tom Brady.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Don't sleep on Sony Michel, I think they will try to establish the run.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I predict the Steelers will have problems with their headsets :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Might have been the plan but if you are willing to risk losing a player, you are not in love with him. He is coming off a torn achilles and poor 2018 season. Thomas isn't what he once was.

They have Edelman, Gordon and Dorsett. Thomas is the low man on the totem poll.

24. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    They gave him a raise when they resigned him. They had both the release and resigning planned with him for a while.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The matchup is our veteran front vs their make shift o-line. Gordon

Next will be our slow footed fs Kelly against gordon and thomas.

I'd mt was smart this may be the time to put hilton at fs and use a new spot with bush or Barron helping out. Take away the rink and dunks and give time for the veteran front to get home to brady.

We are out manning them in this one. On both sides of the ball. :cool:

• Like Like x 1