1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Duck Duck Dobbs?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Aug 18, 2019.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    i doubt the team does it. I don't know what the trade value of Dobbs would be... Maybe a 5th or 6th?
    I also don't know what the cost savings would be unloading dobbs and keeping Duck but if I were running the ship, I'd pull the trigger and take the rook over the rocket scientist.

I know it's hard to base things off of PS and the competiton as it is but the kid looks like a QB. Dobbs has some interesting athletic attributes to bring to the position but I've never been a run QB fan. He's inconsistent, indecisive, and unpredictable with a 3 years under his belt at this point. He's a career backup on the right team in my opinion and the right team will not be a very good team and that's where he will thrive as a necessity for said team in my opinion.

Mason is a better complete QB and should be the #2/heir to the throne come time. He may not be the next best Steeler's QB down the road but he is a better QB than Dobbs period.

Devlin in just 2 outings has shown that he's interesting enough (in my opinion) to warrant further dissecting vs. Dobbs who is what he is and probably is not gonna do much on the pro level honestly. I was glad that he pushed dirty Landry out last year as Landry was what he was to that point but outside of just being a somewhat serviceable backup, we're at the point where we need someone to step in future wise and future minded. I've seen what Dobbs can do and after noticeable growth from rook to next year he had a moment against the Ravens with a helluva throw and then completely **** the bed against the raiders. I think it was more coaching (as far as not trusting him with a broadened play selection) than him in in the moment but honestly, I just don't think he has "it".

I'm willing to roll with the rook in this position battle and I hope he gets the nod as starter ps game 4 if not just more snaps in general. Not saying Duck is the next big thing but I'm full speed ahead on rewarding the unknown who is showing game over the incumbent who's shown that he ain't gonna be the difference maker we seek.

Now go ahead and rip me gang.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The kid is a cool cucumber. They better not let him get away. I know it's a limited showing in many ways but a gift has been dropped in our laps. The kid is as cool as any backup we have had for many years. He moves the team. He puts the ball on the receivers as well as anyone. What is not to love about his pocket poise. Yes two games against underlings but there is some it there. Some other team will take advantage of this kid while we spin our wheels looking. Quit looking he's right under your nose. Yes Dobbs can run but this kid doesn't have to. He just puts the ball on a receiver before that happens. That's what you want. Very much agreed dob.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Did not see the game however I think what Tomlin needs to do is have Dobbs and Duck fight it out on the field and see who is better. I like Dobbs feet but if Duck can stay in the pocket and deliver and has good pocket poise then he should get the job. Dobbs seems reckless with his throws and almost wonder if he is a run first type of QB

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I agree, if what we have seen from Hodges continues over the last 2 pre-season games the Steelers have to keep him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Dobbs makes some plays but those underthrows will cost you in an nfl game. That and the terrible accuracy from close range doesn’t help. Running qbs also don’t last long

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I know Dobbs has accuracy issues but last nights game showed in full detail the throws he can't make. Dobbs can throw it down the middle but if he has to throw to his right then he is utter garbage. Throwing to his left isn't much better but he can't throw to his right with any degree of accuracy at all, I'd say it is time to move on. Philly needs a back up really bad, put Hodges on the PS and he will get claimed, I think they should keep him and offer Dobbs for a 5th round pick.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The Kid looks good. Problem is it’s against 3,4 and 5th stringers. I’m not sold. I’d be surprised if they go with him over Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I saw the 1st half only due to NFL networks live for the cowgirls!!!!

I saw Mason grab the #2 QB position flat out.

My last 53 man roster I put Devlin on the PS which is highly unusual.

At 1pm today the network replays the game so I’m looking forward to seeing how Devlin performs and spencer since D. Johnson didn’t secure the return jobs in the 1st half.

Cajun

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Who Tomlin appoints as the primary back up is between Rudolph and Dobbs.

If it’s Rudolph, then there will be discussion for whether or not Hodge can unseat Dobbs.

If the primary backup is Dobbs, there is no 3rd string discussion, it will be Rudolph.

Now, if you agree with that logic, hasn’t Rudolph already locked up the 2nd string slot and think Dobbs’ performance against the Panthers is an attempt to get something for him?

10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Off topic here and sorry OP. Only saw first quarter last night with eye's and ear's half open but did they say because of last years missed pass interference call in NFCCG you can now throw the challenge flag for missed calls???????????

11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    As time goes on, this back up QB role will sort itself out. MR impressed me with his pocket presence and extending plays. Accuracy pretty good and he would of had better stats if his receivers knew how to catch. Mason looked like he was in total control in the huddle and things have slowed down for him tremendously. Dobbs looked good as well and IF he had made that TD pass instead of throwing a pick this position battle would really be undetermined. I didn't see the second half as the channel the game was on put some POS Texas team on there ( as they seem to do every effing week without fail) Hodges is making a serious run but I don't think they get rid of Dobbs unless there is more evidence that makes the competition indisputable. I've posted on this site before that I am not sure the heir to Ben is on the team yet but last night MR showed that he is moving in the right direction to be just that.

12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    They need to have another flag, a black one, to challenge when the NFL screws up the challenged call, that was made on Dionte Johnson's first touchdown. If the NFL cannot get that call right, that means they can start scripting games like pro wresting. If there would have not been a flag on that touchdown, KC would not have challenged saying there should have been a flag for offensive pass interference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    For me I look at where they are or were one month in like Hodges is.

Dobbs at this point had a qb coach. RF.

Mason had a first year coach stewart working with him and had RF but Randy was OC first.

Hodges has had Stewart but his duties have taken him to the wrs since the passing of DD last week.

Hodges is far and away ahead of where Dobbs was at the same point and maybe ahead of where mason was at this point with less coaching.

Hodges looks to be fairly close to both of the guys in front of him in terms of the eye test. Dobbs and mason should be way ahead at this point. They are not. When the head coach is noticing the 4th arm in camp it says something about this kid. Game two for the kid didn't prove that game one was a fluke. He is still playing with pocket presence and putting the ball on the receivers at the right times and in the right places for the receivers. It doesn't matter who he is playing against. That is a talent that is not coached. When and where to deliver the ball with patience is natural to him. Well beyond his month in camp with minimal reps that the 4th arm receives. By year two and year three he may be ahead of them all. Right now he is extremely close to Dobbs in his third year and one may argue better.

I gotta say I'd have more confidence in him running the show then Dobbs at this point, with a much higher upside. Of course you can't see in the future but if starting points tell anything the kid is far ahead of Dobbs at the same point and very close to mason last year. Maybe ahead. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I won't rip you at all. I think of the 3 Dobbs has to be the one to go. I doubt you will get much trade value, but anything at this point. The cap savings is negligible, so I do not think that will come much into the decision. What will be the difference between Dobbs and Mason if Ben goes down? At this point I do not see much, possibly Mason gives you more upside career wise, but both would still make a lot of mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Some people have floated the idea of trading him to the Eagles. They lost both BU Qb's behind Wentz and just convinced Josh McNown out of retirement. So based on how his first game next week goes there could be interest there in trading a late Rd pick for him. I'm less worried about the Pats poaching Hodges off the practice squad than the Jags doing it. Coughlin still loves to sign Steelers players to pick their brain then dump them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah well if Landry plays against the Raiders last year the Steelers have a better chance of winning IMO. The moment was too big for Dobbs in that game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I like Hodges. Ask yourselves when was the last time the Steelers even drafted a QB, other than Ben in the last two dozen years that made you really notice him in a positive way in preseason games. It's not that I dislike Dobbs but, I think he's an athlete first and a QB second. I watch Hodges and he is confidant and fearless in what he is doing. He just looks like a winner, and I'd like to see him get more playing time this preseason. I'd hate to see him get claimed leaving us to think, "what if". If he fails, he fails and that makes the coaches decision on who to keep easier.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    After 2 preseason games, It should be Ben, Mason, Hodges. They should now start thinking about trading Dobbs and get what they can for him, which won't be much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They would be lucky to get a case of Iron City beer for him :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I'm glad you said it first, I was afraid to get blasted by saying that Hodges is the most impressive rookie QB the Steelers have had since Ben.

21. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Excellent post, very well said...

• Like Like x 1
  22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's less about what they can get for him and more about OK which team is not confident enough that they get the waiver claim. It's like the Boykin trade, Kc and Tomlin didn't think they could get him off waivers and gave up a 6th. Same thing here if someone QB needy team doesn't think they get him off the street they give up a late rounder

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When you say this, do you mean the first QB since Ben to impress in the preseason period, or the first rookie QB to impress in his first preseason? If it’s the latter, I tend to agree. If it’s the former, I’d have to disagree because I think Rudolph has looked impressive so far. Take away a bad drop by Grimble, and Rogers standing almost flat footed waiting for a ball in the end zone, and his day could have been that much better.

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That may be true, but his accuracy is irrelevant to the competition and rivals even Ben's at times.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    How many minutes of NFL football have we seen from this kid?
    I don’t think he should be mentioned with Ben at this point.
    I like the kid, but maybe pump the brakes a bit.