1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Justin Layne ...praying for you brother

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Daddymac10, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    The guy played so god-awful, I'm sure he'll get better. I can't believe he played all the snaps & did not win against his matchup ...not 1 time. Can't cover & can't tackle ..even Greedy Williams in his debut made a tackle. But if Justin's play don't improve as we move on, he's guaranteed to make the 53 but he won't be getting a helmet. I think Brian Allen would be a better option right now than Justin Layne...

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Praying for him? Heck I thought something bad happened.
    I’m not overly concerned about the way he played. It was his first game.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Just a tad over the top for sure. I too thought something had happened to him. Your right that it was his first game. Lets give him some time. The way I look at it his trajectory is pointing up from his first game since it would be difficult to be much worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Same.

Was going to wish Justin Layne Godspeed too. To pray for him due to his first taste of NFL Action being a letdown is a bit over the top.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Greedy is a 2nd round pick, that some thought might go in the first round.
    Layne is a 3rd round pick, and was projected in that round despite everyone saying he would need a year or two before he would be NFL-ready.

Not a valid comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Sutton I think is solid and improving. Draft status means very little around here as we have seen over the years. Hilton showed when he got here. Haden showed when he got here. We haven't seen Nelson yet. Why so many that don't improve? Seems like you either have it from day one or you never improve much here.

what gives? KC can draft receivers but man he sucks at corners. We ended up with the udfa team mate of his draft pick that never saw the field and we didn't even sign him yet past this year. My God the list goes on. We keep saying it's his first game but how many will it take? Hilton stepped in and never looked back. What is it they see in these guys when drafted? We are in deep chit past this year if something doesn't give. They better hope like heck the top 3 stay healthy. Sutton just became a bigger part. Layne, burns, allen, someone has to seperate. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Layne was second in team tackles with 5 solo and 2 assists, not bad for his 1st game, so if he was bad everybody else else besides bush was worse.....

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I mean he definitely didn’t play great I could have done a lot better. But pray for him? Now no need for that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah it’s typically not really great when a cornerback has a ton of tackles is it? They were definitely picking on him and yes he did make the tackles which is a bright spot for sure.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t think our cornerbacks are as bad as some people act like they are. Receivers across the league make tons of catches. If Big Ben throws for 400 yards he had a great day right? But if someone throws a bunch on us then our cornerbacks suck?

Now that doesn’t mean we don’t have some issues at cornerback whether it be scheme or personnel, but it’s nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes but how many yards did he give up to the pass? Not saying tackling is not important but if its always for gains and he cant keep with a defender then its not a good outing. I did not do any looking up of stats . The eye test kinda showed me he was not doing so well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

It's never as bad as anyone says.. I like the expression " It's never as good as it looks and it's never as bad as it seems"

• Like Like x 2
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Good grief, talk about overreaction to one game, the only reason he played that many snaps was because of all the injuries at CB. He probably won't play much during the regular season, he's a project.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I for one think we are ok at CB, just no depth.

Hilton
    Haden
    Nelson
    Sutton

even safety is ok with davis and edmunds. problem is if any of those CB's or safeties go down we are screwed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hey BBH check out some of the pre-season predictions. I found a few that have your beloved Dallas Cowboys winning the Super Bowl.:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    they are closer than us to winning that's for sure. At this point it doesn't matter as my only concern is how good we will do.

lol as soon as the season starts ill be crying again about them

17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Tomlin said today in his press conference that the game seemed "too big" for Layne. However he wasn't going to jump to conclusions about Layne's sub par game or go overboard with praise for Ulysses Gilbert. (Grant, he called him).
    Saying that Layne had to play against a first team NFL offense and Gilbert made all of his plays against inferior talent late in the game. That's Tomlin's take on it anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    His tackling was horrendous at best. I did see excellent coverage on one long deep play.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He didn't make all the tackles. He missed badly on the touchdown.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The thread title was as if his mother died. Yeah. He was soooo bad only prayer can save his career now, LOL.

But seriously, he has a lot to prove after that performance and he will get his chance.

21. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Praying for you? A coach just actually died. Justin Layne had a bad preseason game as a rookie project draft pick. Wtf

22. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Heck, I pray for the team all the time, every year. Except against the Patriots. That is an automatic loss, so I don't waste the prayer!:puking 5:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is what I love about football and especially db's. You line up from
    the man across from you. Can you beat the man across from you? Really it
    is that simple.

24. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You make a great point but it isn't Big Ben or Brady or Rodgers lighting up our CBs. It is the likes of Brett Hundley, and DeShone Kizer that light our CBs up in addition to the other guys. Kizer's only 300 yard game came against the Steelers and Hundley's best game ever came against the Steelers, a guy who was averaging less than 150 yards a game The rules favor the offense and QBs, we all know this but how many teams do you see give up a 1st down on 3rd and 20 on such a consistent basis? How bad is it when 42 seconds is too much time? You are right, it isn't as bad as some, including myself, seem to think but it isn't very good at all.

We have a problem getting and developing CBs, and it has to be the scouting department, they are great at finding WRs but DBs not so much. I'd even say that they haven't drafted a good safety since Troy, and I'm sorry but Davis is athletic but he isn't great at his position and Edmunds looked bad in the first preseason game, didn't turn to defend a pass but that is his norm, and he missed 3 tackles that should have been made.

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Isn't the 1st preseason game typically where they test rookies and née players to see if they understand the core concepts of what they are doing and those are more important than the results. So like with CB's they test their zone skills and don't care so much about completions but how they handle the concepts.

• Like Like x 1