1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Key Takeaways from Preseason Game 1!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by brosonke, Aug 9, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Like I always say. Stats can say whatever you want them to say. The real test is the eye test....always is. Not trying to be too hard on the kid but he was being picked on. That’s why his tackles were up there. They threw him into the fire , his performance was up and down like you would expect. Luckily and hopefully he won’t be counted on when the games count. He’s yet another draft pick and a attempt to actually develop a CB,which we’ve failed miserably at in our recent past. Let’s see what happens.....

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was not happy with the defense against the run Tampa's first series. they did whatever they wanted to.
    Yes I know most of Steeler starters were not in there, but it was a poor showing.

3. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Justyn Lane needs to improve and move up on the receiver, hell I am 59 years young and could complete
    balls against him. Come on son step up to the plate.

4. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    People that understand football know what Devin Bush stats mean. It wasn't that great.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers look to be in good shape with young LBs, with Skipper and Spillane as possible Practice Squad guys. Gilbert might have a chance at the 53, if he plays the rest of the preseason as he did in game 1, he had 2 sacks and a int on a 2 point attempt.

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Looking at this game from a big picture perspective, two things still seem to linger as always. Yes we got the win and we didn't play a lot of the starters, etc etc. But once again I see we get off to a horrible start and have trouble closing the game out. Seems something always gets in the way whether its stupid penalties that keeps their drive alive or we turn the ball over and give them new life. I wonder if we did lose the game more would be said about how we gave up the lead and lost. I also know this is our 1st preseason game but I focus on things like player preparation, discipline, turnovers, and game management to put our players in a position to win. These will be things I will hope improves going forward. In addition, minor injuries make us a winner regardless of the score in preseason.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He can’t tackle for crap either.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Maybe look again. I watched the YouTube clip that TTF had posted of all of Bush’s tackles in that game several times. On more than one of the tackles in run defense that were 5-7 yards downfield he had one running lane covered, and the ballcarrier cut back - and Bush was still able to bounce to the cutback lane and prevent the big play. Sometimes a tackle 5-7 yards downfield is a great thing when it prevents the chunk plays that we gave up too often last year. If the other defenders on those plays had done their jobs as well as Bush, those plays would have been 0-3 yard gains. Also, let’s not forget his two tackles for loss (including on a 4th and 1). For a debut it was pretty darn good.

My concern about Bush was highlighted when the Bucs were able to drop a pass over his outstretched arms to a 6’5” TE up the seam late in the 2nd quarter. He stayed with the TE very well, but his effectiveness in preventing the completion was limited by his lack of height.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I only watched the 1st half, but as far as I know there were no major injuries. That's pretty much all I care about in the preseason.
    Preseason matters for the young guys, and guys trying to make the team. It does nothing but risk injury for the vets.

I thought Bush looked good and Layne looked bad, but I'm not judging anything from one preseason game.

10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why do people keep saying it was bad challenge?

On the sidelines the only coach that was up in arm was Bruce Arians who became super pissed when the refs had to explain that because of the challenge he was not only going to lose yardage on the play, but they would also be taking time off the clock.

I agreed with the announcers about it being a bad call, until the official explained that they would be bringing the ball back to the point of the fumble, and their would be a 10 second run off. Then I thought who was the rules genius that challenged the call?

11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011

You justified my above thread that you disagreed on? 5-7 yds down field don't cut it. This is not to say
    he played bad. He will get better, he will be the starter from game 1.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I really don’t get your point. It wasn’t like he got blown back 5-7 yards on those plays and was responsible for giving up the yards. He was in position to make a tackle just a few yards downfield in one gap, and was able to get to another gap to prevent the cutback from being a big play. Run defense is a team effort, and he did his part very well, especially for a rookie seeing his first action. The rest of the guys who were out there... not so much (at least in the 1st quarter vs. Tampa’s starters).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. Bush failed to get deep enough on some pass coverage drops, but overall, he played very well. I like that he kept his head up and I didn't see him miss any tackles, two areas in which he may be better than Shazier.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have watched it many times. He also had a lot of help from his friends. The 7 solo tackles was quite iffy. more like baseball when you are the home team and given a base hit when it should have been an error.

He can move, I never said he couldn't but he was untouched in a few, other guys came off blocks. It was a good half but not what everyone is making it out to be. The speed of the defense looks good but many were not the starters. I hope we see the pursuit like that when they are on the field. I hope the kid does well we need him. Just curbing my all world status for his performance. :cool:

15. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I was at this game.
    1) Bush was everywhere. Has a motor, has speed.
    2) O’Chloroform was inconsistent. He is only second year and Steelers have a good record with apprenticing o linemen so hopefully that will work out.
    3) Rudolph moves the team better than Dobbs. Dobbs scrambles better when he can’t find an open receiver.
    4) Did Finney work at center? I forgot to check.
    5) I like the giant ketchup bottles next to the scoreboard. The caps come off and glowing ketchup pours out. It’s awesome.

16. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    You forgot to sing the praises of Dirty Red!!
    How many Turnovers did the Steelers have. How many sacks from the ILB position did they have?

Cajun

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The view we got at the stadium made it look like a fumble. The ball definitely came out but I couldn’t tell where his knee was. If we are talking about the same play.

18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Power football teams will be the Steelers biggest problems. They will
    keep pounding the rock. AKA Baltimore, Jax. SD, KC. These teams are all capable
    of doing this. whether they do it is yet to be determined but Balt, Jax should do it.