1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bush will be a bust

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Jul 31, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I can't say he is totally wrong. I won't go as far as calling him a bust yet but the college production part and everyone thinking he's the second coming of is way over blown. Hated the pick, but will wait and see. Yes I am a buckeye fan too but that has nothing to do with it. He disappeared when they played the buckeyes. Now he's in the NFL. do you really think it will be easier? I hope I'm wrong but I remember all the pepper talk when he came out and the browns took him. Can't miss, we needed him, well that didn't workout either and I argued that back then. I was happy we didn't get him then and happier now. Both were the same player for Michigan I still believe. Time will tell. No, he's not shazier. :cool:

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Hey just busting your balls a little bit brother. And I’m hoping dirty red isn’t on the roster come the start of the regular season.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Interesting take indeed. I do respect your position. However, I do have some questions.

1.) Why was he widely considered a Top 15 pick weeks before the draft?

2.) Why was Devin Bush universally regarded as the better tackler of the two Devin's?!

3.) In what ways does Devin Bush fall short athletically?!

4.) If players like Devin Bush are going to get thrown around, why have linebackers like Deion Jones, LaVonte David and Bobby Wagner been successful?!

5.) For that matter and, most importantly, if Bush is such a sure fire failure, why would the likes of Brandon Hunt, Mike Tomlin, Keith Butler and Kevin Colbert scout him extensively dating back to 2017?!

I do wish to hear your answers on each of these.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    In all honesty 2 months before the draft I was saying similar things as the OP about Bush. I bought into the hype just like everyone else. I hope it pans out.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wait & see approach for me also. We can only hope he is a productive football player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Every team in the NFL was scouting him extensively dating back to 2017, and deservedly so.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Finally matchmaker came up with Realsteels partner. I always knew there was somebody for everyone.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Every team you say?!

Interesting because, among the selection choices of Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and Buffalo, during their post round pressers on their sites, not once did any of those teams imply Devin Bush was a target.

Perhpas Cincy and maybe Green Bay but I doubt others wanted Devin Bush as severely as Pittsburgh did.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Scout and target are 2 different things, and I'm referring to him being on the entire NFL's radar since 2017.
    Why move down in the draft if no one else was targeting him...

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Hahhahahahaha I'm a wait and see guy too... With every player they select. I don't think mountains are generally moved year one for anybody but if they add an extra ingredient it's all gravy. Give him time, I remember when everyone was calling Troy a hack coming out of the gate in his transition. Harrison took awhile and a couple address changes to figure things out. All I do is hope for the best and when it pans out its awesome! When it don't... I know that atleast they get a couple more years to pan out or not even when it's obvious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If Devin Bush was on every teams radar, that means some teams would have not only scout him but also target him given their possible interest. Why else would a team needing a linebacker go to Ann Arbor?! Pittsburgh has been the only confirmed team to do so. Denver could have also been involved but considering the fact that Vance Joseph got fired abruptly soon thereafter, it is impossible to tell.

Simple. Boost another area of weakness on the team should the top option be unavailable. There is a reason Draft Boards exist. Highest valued prospects are at the top. Position needs to equate to need. If one cannot find that need, head to the next best prospect.

More importantly, who's to say one could not have acquired not just their highest vauled player but more picks among those three aforementioned teams I listed?! Given the fact he was still available at the time, it would have been a win win for whomever traded down before pick 10. Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and even Buffalo could have gotten Bush in addition to whomever they had as the next best option for their biggest area of weakness had that come to pass.

Those aforementioned teams either needed or could have used (in Buffalo's case) a Linebacker like Bush anyway. The 2019 class was loaded with pass rushers and defensive lineman. Plenty of fall back options for said teams given their defensive philosophies; Jacksonville especially. :eek:

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    How about this: Every team in the NFL knew Devin Bush existed in 2017.

I don't follow the rest of your response, since it wasn't a serious question to begin with (or a question at all).

13. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015

Weak LB class , doesn't seem like a great tackler to me . Sure a lot of times he's around the ball but struggles to finish a tackle. He's athletic no doubt, but Ryan was a tab bit quicker and for sure seemed stronger. Shazier could lay the wood. Devin I don't really see that. Wagner is a legit superstar and is 6 foot not 5 10 like bush and looked more the part on the field. Steelers liked him due to his family football pedigree and his 40 time. also they desperately needed an ILB within Ben's last year's to help pull the defense together . Think the front office had the right mindset but not the right player . I don't see bush becoming a bobby Wagner or a caliber of LB like that.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

Supposedly, Vic Fangio and Elway etc had Bush's name on their draft card until the deal was finalized. Denver was going to take him at 10. According to Mark Schlereth and Denver sports radio.

15. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    if only panda could have gotten to the OP before posting

panda.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I use this line when someone makes a comment solely to get clicks and lots of ***** slapping.

When someone says something I disagree with I have a pleasant debate with them.

When they act like idiots I treat them the way they asked to be.

When they post repetitive nonsense, I just give them the face palm. :facepalm:

If they actually post a well thought post, I try to reciprocate with the same.

If someone asks for help, I try to help.

But hey, you already know all of this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You must be a legend in your own mind:smiley1:

18. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Where are your Pitt State Gorillas playing Northwest Missouri State Bearcats this year? I know it's not Arrowhead anymore. Always loved the Chuck Broyles and Gus the gorilla facial comparison. I actually saw Broyles last game at Truman.

Hang in there with Bush. He will be good and will be able to cover. Let the kid learn the system. Let the kid learn how to be a pro. He won't be perfect. He is a kid. He will develop. Every team in the NFL would love to have Bush. He has spent plenty of time learning with Shazier. As a coach, I was always worried about Shazier. The speed in which he played and how he played old school with the crown of his helmet. Head across and dropping on profile tackling situation. Stay healthy Bush.....

Completely off the subject......I met Mike Jones a couple months ago at a coaching clinic at Mizzou. I asked him about the tackle on Dyson in Super Bowl. I asked him if in 1999 if they were being taught the hawk tackle and all the newer tackling techniques of today. He said: "Oh yeah"...worked on it everyday keeping head out and wrap and roll. I have used that clip for years and now I have the proof. Have a great day.....we start camp on Aug 12.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    yup kid gets opportunity just like all others. I'm riding the hype wave till proven otherwise. why criticize and stress this time around. not sure what u watching, but kids stoutness seems to stop runners point of contact and drop.

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bush could be "D. Brooks 2.0", yet to be determined.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I hope he is better than Shazier

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't care if he can hit hard. Just make the tackle. What happened to Shazier, although a bit unlucky, was my big fear about him all along. The way he came in to make those plays.

23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Like all rookies we have to wait and see. There are no sure things. His size is not a huge concern, they drafted him because they believe he can be effective in coverage in what is a passing league first and foremost.

They have bet the house on this guy so let’s all hope he is good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They need Bush to be that speedy ILB to help in coverage, hopefully he will be a poor man's Shazier at least.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Bush is going to be a bust just like Dupree is going to finally dominate.