1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Wilson Better than Ben All Time?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jul 9, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...arterbacks-is-fair-nfl-news-steelers#comments

I don't know. This one struck a chord a bit in me. Russell Wilson placed higher then Ben in the ALL TIME QB list. Sorry I don't see it.

I had Wilson on my fantasy league last year, and I think he broke over 300 yards twice. He had a good passer rating, but on short passes.

I've never seen Wilson live up to his hype. IMO he's grossly overrated.

Not a chance in Hell he's rated better than Ben ALL TIME. Imo.

I agree with Ben's relative rating. I think he's one of the best to lace them up but not maybe top 10. He's been a gamer from the beginning who hates to lose.

Love him or hate him, he's been amazing for this franchise. So many good QBs I think he cracks the top 20 though.

I can't say the same for Russell Wilson.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Depends. If Wilson wins another title, then there will be a good argument. Right now Ben is better. Wilson has a lot more time remaining in his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It’s a bit ridiculous to rank players on the all time list while they’re still playing. Having said that, the writers need something to write about.

IMHO, Ben should have 3 or 4 rings by now. Like Ben, RW won early in his career and lost to TB and the cheats. Time will tell what he does with the rest of his career.

If Ben plays 3 more seasons he’ll end top 5 in categories such as wins and yards. Wins alone create separation between him and Eli.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That's ridiculous!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    If The Seahawks had just handed the ball to Marshawn, Wilson would have two SB rings! He's really good but, it's too soon to rank him all-time!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    There would be a better argument had Pete Carroll not pulled the biggest choke job in SB history. All he had to do was go Beast Mode for one single play and Wilson would have an equal amount of Championships as Ben does and Brady & Belichick would both have one less. As it stands right now Ben > Wilson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  8. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The reason this bothers me is because is seems Wilson doesn't get the same dismissive treatment Ben received. What I mean is that when Ben won early the talking heads said Ben was a game manager and the running game and stellar defense was the only reason he won. He gets called "backyard Ben" and while he gets credit for his improvisational skills he is left out of "elite" status comparisons because he does this a little too much in pundits eyes.

So we look at Russell Wilson, he gets praised up and down for being great but the vast majority of his winning ways came when he had the overall number 1 ranked defense. When his leg was injured he was averaging 202 yards per game and that was because his play mirrors Ben in that he runs around and waits for someone to get open or he runs with it. That type of play for him is often called "ground breaking" and viewed as spectacular, but when Ben does the same thing it is called undisciplined, go figure. His numbers drop dramatically when he isn't able to move because he isn't really that good as a pure pocket passer.

Wilson also benefitted from the fact his first 4 seasons the Seahawks division was the absolute worst in the league. To illustrate that all you need to do is see that they actually made the playoffs with a losing record, a "great" QB who couldn't lead his team to .500 yet still gets credit for taking them to the playoffs. Wilson is a good QB, he is smart but I won't call him great because when his scrambling ability begins to slow with age his flaws will be on full display but I imagine the excuse train will line up for him just like the praise train does now.

9. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Sorry I am taking wilson everyday of the week and twice on sunday........ He is better

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Exactly which year did Ruseell Wilson take the Seahawks to the playoffs with a losing record?.

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Russ W didnt, matt hassleback was the QB when they won their division in 2010 with a 7-9 record, jp losmon and whitehurst was backups...

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Yup, that was pre Russell. And also, the Seahawks were NOT in the worst division in the league during Wilsons first 4 yrs. based on overall div record the NFCW was the best in the NFL during those years by a wide margin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I like Russell Wilson, I like how he plays. But, I would not put him above Big Ben.

Look how bad Wilson is behind a terrible Seahawks Offensive line.

Ben played behind a terrible offensive line and pulled off winning a super bowl. Granted our defense was down right awesome.
    But, Ben had a terrible offensive line, he used to get sacked all the time. Max Starks, Kendall Simmons, Justin Hartwig, Kemouteu, Max starks if healthy but it was usually someone else because he was often hurt. It's quite impressive Ben won a super bowl with that offensive line.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Wilson holds the record for most wins by an NFL quarterback through 7 seasons (75) and is one of two quarterbacks in NFL history with a career passer rating over 100. His team has made the playoffs 6 times out of his 7 seasons as a pro so even behind bad olines he still finds ways to win games and thats impressive....

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

He was 35 TDs with only 7 Ints last yr. and he wasn't throwing to anyone who resembles AB, Juju or Hines Ward.

Maybe he ain't better than Ben, but worst case it doesn't seem insane to argue that he is.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    How many receivers has Wilson sent to the probowl?
    How many 4th quarter comebacks does Wilson have?
    Who would you rather have if you needed a score?

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    At this point, Wilson. Simply for his running capability.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Is it vs Denver in the 4th quarter, 1st down from the 2 yard line?:sneak:

19. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He ain't ever head butted a moving car on his moving motorcycle without a helmet... He ain't ****! Hahahahahahahah

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Touche

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I'd still take Ben and his penchant to look for & try the big play.

22. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Wilson does not make mistakes and boneheaded throws and could run like the wind.......... I personally do not think it is close.... I always thought ben was a tad overated..... He scares me in a big spot and in a big game. Some of these steelers teams should have been 14-2 teams blowing away the opposition and they did not..... Makes me wonder about Ben.........

23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    And the Steelers still have most SB's.

24. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Somehow I think the WRs themselves have something to do with making the ProBowl. But seriously if Wilson gets 35TDs and only 7 picks throwing to nobodies, and Ben doesn't throwing to AB and Juju, how is that a knock on Wilson?

Profootball-reference reports 4thQ comebacks and Game winning drives for QBs. Since he came into league in 2012, Wilson has 17 4thQcomebacks and 23 GWDs. In that same period Ben has 13 4thQ comebacks and 19 GWDs. All regular season numbers, but playoffs are the real deal right? Well, all time RW has 4 4thQ comebacks and 4GWDs in the playoffs, Ben has 3 4thQ comebacks and 4 GWDs, in the playoffs, despite playing 8 more yrs. it wouldn't appear that this stat favors Ben over Wilson.

Truth is outside of 2005 and the last drive vs AZ in the Super Bowl, Ben hasn't been much of a playoff QB.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    But they didn't, the Seahawks put the ball in Wilson's hands and he promptly threw a pick to lose the Superbowl.
    Right now I would have Ben ahead of Wilson but that could change as Wilson still has a lot of years to play.