1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Josh Dobbs step up last year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Jul 8, 2019.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Did Josh Dobbs step up last year or was it just Landry Jones took a step back?

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Both.

Landry Jones reached his ceiling. Joshua still has not. Joshua remains on the roster. Landry is trying out for the XFL.

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Dobbs had a really good pre-season. So good that it sent Landry out the door, and Steelers just spent a 3rd rounder on Ruldolph so he was going to make a roster spot.

Now as far as regular season, Dobbs completed one great pass against the Ravens. Then he came in and couldn't do anything against the Raiders and was terrible, looking back you could also debate and judge that Dobbs in against the Raiders cost them the playoffs.
    But of course you could blame a lot of things on the Steelers missing the post season last year.

Rudolph is going to gun hard for the #2 spot. But, both will make the team, unless the undrafted QB some how impresses and really impresses everyone to make either one expandable.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Should be an interesting #2 battle this summer.

5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope so!

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The camp battle should be between the guys that get to tell tomlin your future hof qb is ready to go back in the game. :cool:

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The MRI radiologists?

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well Landry is currently a free agent. His time with Oakland wad very short.

So basically it's Dobb's time to show what he has. If he can't show he can THROW in this league, then he will have the same fate.

QB is a tough position. By far the most important one in the league now.

My issue with Dobbs has been he relies too much on his feet. His aerospace engineer degree hasn't translating to cutting down defenses with his wits and arm. The legs should only extend the play for the BIG play.

Still waiting for that to shine through. Sadly I'm pessimistic with Dobbs that he has the 'it factor' I've expressed in previous posts. As a Steeler fan, I remain hopeful.

Drunk rant over lol

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dobbs stepped up. Landry wasn't given much opportunity as they already knew what they had in him. They needed to see if Dobbs improved enough for the #2. He did and was the cheaper option, it was a no brainer.

This year hopefully Mason steps up. I like Dobbs but I prefer Masons style of play over Dobbs, I worry about injuries with running QB's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

MRI , CSI, XYZ , whomever your qb is ok and ready to go back in the game, get Dobbs out of there. :cool:

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers went the cheaper route and left themselves without a viable backup quarterback in 2018. They got lucky with one throw against the Ravens and it cost them dearly against the Raiders. If they are lucky, Dobbs might develop into an average backup. The real hope for a reserve/future starter is Rudolph.

It wasn't a no-brainer at all. That was a veteran team with Super Bowl aspirations. Rolling the dice by compromising 2018 for the future was an iffy proposition at best. If you want to look at the real result, go back and watch that game against the Raiders.

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the decision was made on Jones’ contract length and comparative price. I doubt it was a straightforward decision, given the different things they both brought.

I disagree with you, though, that keeping Dobbs left us without a viable back up. He had a bad game, but that’s what you get. There was no guarantee LJ would have played any better (and I’m saying that as one of his defenders around here). I’d say Dobbs was more viable than, say, when we stuck Vick back there, he didn’t know half the playbook and had no timing down with the first team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Vick's time with the Steelers is an incredibly low bar, but really, Dobbs wasn't much better. The offense produced nothing and he turned it over once. Part of the problem was what seemed to be a limited playbook. The team had been willing to trust Jones with the entire playbook in the past, but to go with a limited offense on a day that the running game was absent was a problem. Of course, there is no guarantee, but Jones had proven himself a competent backup. Dobbs had not, and the one time they needed him for more than a play or two, he failed miserably. It was exactly what I was concerned about happening when they cut Jones.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Both back ups need reps in practice to really have fair shot come game situations.
    You can't expect them to light it up. Another coaching decision I do not like with Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    One issue is that while Dobbs brings more mobility, the OC didn’t seem to know whether to adjust to that, or have him run Ben’s offense. At the same time, they seemed to try and keep to the plays Dobbs was happy with, thus reducing the playbook.

They basically seemed surprised Dobbs was there in the Raiders game.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That about sums it up.

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Not always the case as evidenced by Ravens QB Lamar Jackson. He cant throw worth a damn but can run and he is the #1 QB for the Ratbirds

19. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Vick got what? 3 weeks of reps and practice with the starting team. Dobbs got scrub reps all year. Vick couldn't get near the best receiver in the league either.

I don't think dobbs is the future, but, neither was jones. Jones never did squat other than keep them in a NE game somehow. (I still think NE went totally vanilla in case we met them in the playoffs). Aside from that, he never did anything when he played. I'll say maybe jones turns oakland into a win, but he'd also have turned baltimore into a loss.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You're putting way too much stock into one play against Baltimore.

Also, nobody said Jones was the future. He just gave the Steelers a better chance last season.

21. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    I don't put a whole lotta stock in that play either. There are those who do, though.

22. lvsteelersfan

lvsteelersfan Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Dobbs isn't the right QB to play Steelers football. Just like Michael Vick didn't fit in. It messes the O-line up going from a pure pocket passer who can move around in the pocket to someone who doesn't know how to step into the holes and gun the ball out of there. Dobbs never makes it through his progressions before he takes off running. I am hoping Rudolph will be more of a pure pocket QB who can go through his progressions and let the linemen form that pocket around him. How many running QBs have ever won a Super Bowl? Very few. It takes brains and progressions to pick up those critical 3rd down plays. Just my two cents worth but I think you need QBs with similar styles to stand a chance if your first stringer gets injured. That is why the Eagles did so well the past couple years.

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If it takes 'brains' to pick up critical plays, I doubt there are many NFL QBs that can outdo Dobs in that department. Look, I think Dobbs has a great aerospace engineering career ahead of him, and doubt he'll be much of antything more than a journeyman QB, But mobile QBs are the future, that's all colleges produce anymore. The NFL will have to figure how to use them, Russell Wilson may be the template for those that follow.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Whatever work ethic Vick discovered while he was in prison disappeared before he got to the Steelers. He clearly had no clue what he was doing. His physical tools had declined enough that he could no longer rely on his powerful arm and speed to overcome his inconsistent accuracy and his failure to fully grasp the offense the way they had in Atlanta. By no means did Vick's failure in Pittsburgh demonstrate that a quarterback with the ability to run can't win in the NFL. Your post ignores Steve Young and John Elway, just to name a couple of Hall of Fame quarterbacks. It also ignores Russell Wilson, in case you want to hear about somebody more recent. Hell, Aaron Rodgers is a threat to run. You wouldn't want any of those guys?

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    People tend to think of intelligence as one thing. It isn't. There are multiple types of intelligence. Intelligence in the classroom or in another field is not the same as the type of intelligence a quarterback demonstrates on the field. Just because Dobbs was an intelligent student doesn't mean he's going to be a smart quarterback.