1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Training camp - visit

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Jul 8, 2019.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    All these years, I've never been over to Latrobe for training camp practices..... I feel like this will be the year that I can make it. To any vets that have been there before..... do you have any recommendations? Parking, eating, best time to show up, best areas to view the most action? Any chances for autographs? (I'll have my 20 year old son with me.... but he's not exactly a cute little kid anymore). I'm likely looking at a weekday like Tuesday or Wednesday of one of the weeks, maybe August so it's closer to the start of the season.

2. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Parking is done right in the fields by the playing fields. The college kids direct you where to park. Lots of places to eat. When you come out of St. Vincent’s, if you turn right you have a ton of places on Rt. 30, and if you turn left it takes you to Latrobe. All viewing places get taken up early.

3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    There is a grove of trees behind the far endzone that I usually try and get there for shade. If you sit in the bleachers on a sunny day you will get fried.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Truth. Bring sunblock or some shade. My Dad and I went to camp for the first time in '06 after the SB win. I loved every minute of it but Dad got too much sun we ended up sitting at McDonald's for an hour while he cooled down and rehydrated so I wasn't worried about his health. Just so much to take in that you forget that hot August sun beating down on you.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Like other posters have said make sure you hydrate and bring sunscreen. Sharkey's is my favorite watering hole.
    You will see lots of Steeler fans there. A couple years back,Tim Benz was airing his show live from there.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bring a van and a sack, if you see Keith butler throw a sack over his head and throw him in the van and keep driving.:smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I went down a few years ago drove from Hamilton Ont. to Latrobe early in the morning. Was pleasantly surprised by the fan stuff they had, a trailer to walk through full of interesting memorabilia lots of stuff for sale. Lucked out with a day that was hot but not blistering . If I do the trip again I won't make the mistake I made the first time. I did a return trip5 1/2 hr down 5 1/2 back all in one day next time I ll find a cheap motel get some sleep and do the return drive the next day maybe even take in some sites in the Burgh before driving home. Overall a great time , you might have to find a cute kid to rent if you want to get close for autographs.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I can be rented out for cheap!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    If you know anyone with ties to the organization, try to get on the daily VIP list.

Pre-practice meet in the Fred Rogers building. Free hat, Q and A with Tunch and Wolf, walk together to field and watch practice on field.
    Post practice go back to Rogers Center and have dinner and raffle. There will be players signing autographs as well.

Buy a Training camp shirt....

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Emphasis was on “cute”.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Bob Labriola gave a full list of Steelers alumni that will be a camp each day for autograph sessions on his asked and answered column today. It's on Steelers.com if anyone wants to see it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks for all the good tips. :yeehaw:

13. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I placed the emphasis on "I want to go but want someone else to pay for it." Funny how we all read the same thing and come to different conclusions! :hmm:

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The Send Jim to Camp Fund
    PO box 32 don't run over people
    Pittsburgh, Pa. 123456

:smiley1::cool:

15. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Do not forget to visit Peaches and Cream, best ice cream in the world! Right on Rt. 30 before you get to St. Vincent’s.

16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Went to camp on the last day open to the public..... sadly.... it cancelled after about 90 minutes due to the threat of lightning and rain. After calling for the fans to leave the stands, we got to sit in our truck for about an hour as damn near the whole parking lot emptied out before we could move.

some notes:
    Got to see Ben orchestrate a couple little mini drives (no pads). Sprinkled in with some Rudolph, Dobbs and a good bit of Hodges.
    Dionte Johnson is every bit as short as he looks..... if the dude is over 5' tall I'd be shocked. But he does have some wheels to get under the long ball (albeit practice with no pads).
    Never saw Joe Haden on the field, but he apparently passed out jerseys well after most of the fans were kicked out.
    Boswell appeared to hit all his kicks except for a 53 (looked wide left), but couldn't tell for sure if he hit all the 52 yard kicks. Other kickers looked weak in distance on nearly all kicks
    Devin Bush looked good & fast in one coverage play of Conner coming out the backfield
    JuJu had a couple nice catches

All in all, I was a little surprised how slow the practice flowed. Outside of a few plays above, it was basically a stretching, standing around and a few drills to show case a bunch of guys that are looking to be cut soon. Practice was cancelled around 4:30pm and I saw most of the players walking back to the dorm buildings, a few stragglers hung out to do pics and autographs with the people on the field. All in all it was a good time for me and my son, not sure I'd do it every year, but it's checked off my bucket list for now.

Ben running a 1/2 field drill..... stalled around the 5:

IMG_0454.jpeg

Offense playing defense..... yes Ben is ILB wearing a blue cap

IMG_0447.jpeg

Me watching the WR's and Conner goof off a little bit before starting

IMG_0449.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Bummer that it was cut short, but glad you had the experience! Dig the yellow beard!