1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

O-Line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 8, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Feiler is talking about the right tackle spot being up for grabs. He has taken most of the first team reps so far though. I thought he did a fine job too.

It's pretty impressive that we have two first rounders and three UDFA as starters. We have some very good depth as well on this unit and have quietly added to that depth. The two guys from Maryland. Banner was on the 53 last year and did see some action near the goal line burying his man. Chuks played well. BJ finney has been a great find too. We even have a second unit that could hold its own in the league I believe. Very impressive. Sarrett has been a big part of this transformation and even without the great coach Mike munchak, I think will continue this trend. Folks we are loaded for bear at this part of our team seemingly for years to come.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think RT probably is up for grabs in camp. Feiler played well last season. However, Chuks surprised me with his readiness last year after coming in as a pretty raw prospect, and he has the natural athleticism to surpass Feiler if he takes the next step.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't disagree about the athleticism. Feiler is stronger which helps him. Chuks needs to keep working as a swing tackle I think because I'm not sure feiler can play as well on the left if needed. does that make sense? Chuks getting full-time rt reps now may make the move to the left, if needed more difficult at this stage.:cool:

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I am actually pulling a bit more for Derwin Gray making the roster than the Right Tackle spot. Derwin has played multiple positions so that should assist his chances making it to the 53. If he can improve and remain healthy, I hope he makes it in.

The challengers though will not be cakewalks. There is a good chance that, given his improvement, Jerald has the advantage over him. Let us forget Zach Banner either. The biggest one though is B.J. That being said however, B.J. is not going anywhere.

5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    BJ may not be going anywhere this year. Next year he’s unrestricted. It will likely need to be him or Foster, but not both.

6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It makes sense. However if Chuks ends up proving himself to be the better option and wins the job, I think that the experience gained as a starting RT may be more valuable than riding the pine as a swing tackle. They just have to make sure to give him enough practice reps developing/executing the same techniques at LT so that he can make the switch if AV gets hurt.

I do think that if Chuks starts at RT, he goes to LT and Feiler to RT if AV gets hurt.

7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Chuks was quite literally thrown into the fire, with his first live action coming against von Miller and he more than held his own..... we are pretty much set regardless of who starts.... whoever doesn't start backs up both sides....
    It's a nice problem to have

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think our backups could start on some teams.:cool:

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Reminded me of Steve Furness. SI once said he might be the 5th best defensive lineman in the NFL and he didn’t even start.

10. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    it's a good situation, should be every year with this unit..offence starts with this oline

11. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    This is one unit that we really have no worries about, the starters are very good and the depth behind them is very capable of stepping in if needed. I think Finney takes Foster's spot next year as long as another team doesn't offer him crazy money. I really think Finney could start for most teams in the league plus he plays with some nasty edge in his game.

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Fleir will probably win the RT spot, but Chuks will give him a good run for his money.
    Wouldn't be surprise to see Chuks win it.

BJ Finney is versatile, he can play center, and both guard postions to my knowledge and he's very decent.

Steelers will have to start re-stock piling offensive of linemen in future drafts, Lot of guys in the upper 20
    s almost 30's, and many early 30's to mid 30's.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wish we had that problem on defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I wish some of our defense started on other teams.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Of course you do, you're a Steelers fan.;+)

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Zach Banner OT/OG 25 y/o 3rd year 6-8 360 USC

Garrett Brumfield OG 23 y/o rookie 6-4 304. LSU

Derwin Gray OT/OG 24 y/o draft pick 6-4 320 Maryland

JC Hassenauer C 24 y/o 1 year. 6-2 295 Alabama

Jerald Hawkins OT/OG 25 y/o 4 years draft pick. 6-6 305 LSU

Fred Johnson OG 22 y/o rookie 6-7 326. Florida

Patrick Morris C 24 y/o 1 year 6-3. 300 TCU

Chuks Okorafor OT 21 y/o year 2 draft pick 6-6 320 Western Michigan

Damian Prince OT 23 y/o rookie team mate of our draft pick Gray 6-3. 280. Maryland

Nice mix of young guys. We have quietly been adding players to the ranks. This is not even showing finney. Morris , Banner, Finney, Chuks , Fieler, Hawkins all have time under starrett and munchak. We have a nice mix of youth as well. Many from major college programs. Big10, Pac 12, SEC. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I didn’t realize Chuks is still only 21. He could end up having a long, fruitful career here. The physical tools are all there.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That's very young with a year under his belt already. Should hire well for our backup qbs to show their wares this preseason without having to run for their lives. Should give us a true look at their future's. Snell as well.

Hawkins has been the biggest disappointment so far. Feiler the hardest worker. They said he transformed his whole body to get to this point. If this group follows suite and these guys stay close and put in the work we will be darn good down the road. Hopefully the d-line can follow this trend. I'm pretty excited about some of our young guys on that unit too. It's where it all starts.:cool:

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am looking this preseason on packaging some players for a free safety or draft picks. This is how much
    i like our depth.