1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 Season .vs the Browns

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by releets, Jun 4, 2019.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If you are going by historical evidence, the AFCN was always won by a team with double digit wins. Nine has never been enough.

(In 2010, the Ravens had 12 wins and still came in 2nd. In 2011, the same for the Steelers. But that seems unlikely to happen this year.)

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Keep in mind the AFC North has west coast games this year. Steelers don't travel well to the mountain and pacific time zones. It wouldn't surprise me if Steelers lost to either the 49ers or Cardinals... perhaps even both.

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Who are the Steelers seven wins Heinz?

4. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I covered this months ago. Here's a recap...

Bengals x 2
    Ravens x 1
    Browns x 1
    Colts
    Rams
    Bills

= 7

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Could you repeat that? :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Not necessary.... it's been well documented. :cool:

7. mark

mark Member

Feb 22, 2018
    11-5 I think baker is the real deal

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    How many years to get to 11 wins?

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not this decade.

10. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I'm a Steelr fan, but I'm a REALISTIC Steeler fan. We're NOT as good as everyone on here is trying to convince themselves. We're VERY close to having a few rebuilding years. Cleveland is YOUNG, and I think they'll be the team to beat in our division for the next few years.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think you have that reversed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Why do people think saying “I’m realistic” gives them any credibility?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

realistically speaking it does not lol

14. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    .......because I can look at things HOW they are, not how I DREAM they are. Most Steeler fans walk around with blinders on thinking we're gonna win the Super Bowl every year. Right now the current Steeler team is just an average NFL team. The sun is setting on Ben, and I don't see his replacement anywhere. We're getting older as a team, and the window is slowly closing. That's being realistic. Like it or not.

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Just because your realisim fits your narrative does not make anyone elses perception any less real. Let's face it. Nobody knows. You make some very valid points regarding Ben but what you dont talk about is while the lowly browns seemingly are more equipped with talent the Steelers are not exactly sitting idly by watching other teams get better. We are getting faster at defense and making inroads to improving our secondary. Offense has rid itself of a couple of as s pimples. I say we are in a good shape. Superbowl bound. Sure why not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What you are doing isn't so much realism as it is lowering your expectations so that if the team under-performs you aren't disappointed and if they exceed your expectations it is good. The foundations the team has in place will allow it to be competitive into the new decade and not a shambles as the Browns have been since coming back into the league. The Browns have had talented rosters before and the shake up that inevitably happens when they don't meet the owners expectations will mean that they will be a mess once again. I don't dream that the Steelers are good, I know that they are it is just a matter of playing to those strengths and limiting the distractions

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Browns are probably not as good as advertised either, they are a bit away from a complete roster just yet. They have some holes in key areas like the O-line and secondary and how good is their depth if they lose a few starters?

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

I still have yet to hear who is blocking on the interior for Cleveland. For that matter, the Offensive Line as a whole is still being ignored. Given the aspect that said aspect is still ignored because <insert reasons here>, I elected to showcase their line for all to see. They are as follows:

Greg Robinson: Left Tackle

Joel Bitonio: Left Guard

J.C. Tretter: Center

Austin Corbett: Right Guard

Chris Hubbard: Right Tackle

Beyond Joel, who was JUST named to his first Pro Bowl ever in addition to being a Second Team All Pro, is there anyone else whom the Steelers Front Seven should be concerned about?! It baffles me how and why this is continuously swept under the rug. It makes ZERO sense.

In comparison, the Steelers have three of their five Offensive Lineman being Pro Bowl recipients. In addition, the Steelers have two of their Offensive Lineman having won multiple FIRST Team All Pro nods. Add the rock solid work of Matt Feiler manning the Right Side and, arguably, Pittsburgh boasts the best Offensive Line in football. Yes, Cleveland has gotten much better also on the defensive front seven but Pittsburgh's Offensive Line has faced similar challenges before; Baltimore namely being our biggest one.

Again, and as stated before, until Cleveland's Offensive Line becomes among the very best, I am not worried. Baker is going to have some trouble should his protection falter rapidly in succession.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think Minnesota 2018 is a good example of what can happen if your O-Line is not protecting the QB adequately. They arguably had the best receiver tandem in football with Diggs and Thielen but Cousins was thrown around like a rag doll all season and they finished 8-8 or something.

If the Browns can get even average productivity from their guys them they will of course be very dangerous

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, I guess you told me :huh:

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Assuming Odell does not blow up of course.

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Obviously, I want and expect the Steelers to beat the Browns. Ben’s record in Cleveland notwithstanding.

At this point, I see the Browns how many see the Redskins every year. Look good on paper, save for the parts we don’t look at. Paper champions I hear some folks say.

I do want the Browns to be competitive. I want them to beat the Ravens twice and the Patriots.

I also expect TJ Watt to be an unstoppable force. The Browns O-line is not quite an immovable object.

Steelers heave a tough schedule, but so does every team that plays the Steelers. 2008 was a tough schedule too. I’d love the 1 seed, but a 6 seed can go all the way. I believe this team is hungry. Go out, beat the Pats and put an exclamation point on it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Pessimism does not equal realism. If you want to talk about blinders, how about being blind to the reality that this team with many of the same core players won 9 in a row to reach the AFCCG a few years ago, went 13-3 two years ago, and if any single one of around 3 or 4 plays went their way last year would have had back to back wins over the Pats and Saints to secure a division title again. The team has flaws, but there’s a core nucleus of very good players, and some key additions at positions where we were weakest over the past couple of seasons. We’re certainly not the favorites to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl, but we are legitimately in the mix if certain players step up. We are legitimate favorites for the AFC North. Reality is recognizing that anything can happen, and that this team, with largely the same nucleus of players, went 33-14-1 over the past 3 regular seasons, and has added some young talent. We’re in the mix.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the 2018 Vikings are a very good example of how easily the Browns can falter because of weaknesses that have not been addressed well. I expect the Browns to flirt with a wild card, but that’s about it.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The talk about the browns being younger? Our rbs are young. Two of our 5 o-linemen are young, plus we are really deep with young players at those positions. Our receiving corp is young. Our linebackers are young. Our safeties are young, as are a few of our corners. The d-line has hargraves and buggs that are young. Tuitt isn't exactly old either. We do have someone in place behind Ben that is young as well. Just untested. So no the browns are not really younger. I believe we have an 11 to 12 win team in place if we stay healthy. Our kicking game let down could have easily produced a double digit win total last year so the 9 wins were kind of a fluke when you look at how we played every team last year. We have a team capable of doing that now, but it will just take a little different fashion then we have grown accustomed to the last few years. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1