1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who gets a contract extension next?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Davis

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Hilton

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Hargrave

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Haden

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  5. Tomlin

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would think so too but I thought the whole deadline for the 9 million meant that if they signed him to an extension afterwards they are still on the hook for 9 million this season. Im not familiar enough with the 5 yr option to be sure. I don't think there are too many ways to save money this season barring a purge of players. Unless they kick the can don the road on Pouncey, Foster and who ever else got some big money this year.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Good question. I’m guessing that both sides can agree to tear up the 9.2 million 1 year guarantee if they agree on a new deal, but I’m not 100% certain.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Missing the playoffs falls short of that goal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Not extending Tomlin would send a very direct message, especially the way the Steelers normally do business.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ain’t that the truth

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hilton if and when he signs the tender will be cheap for this year. Trouble is he could become a free agent after this year. Haden money could help after this year but losing haden is the trade off. I don't see him giving a discount. Someone will pay him. That is where layne comes in. They will have to play layne some this year to get him ready. I just don't see us paying haden that kind of money next year. Watch for sutton, allen, Layne and for safety Kelly playing time this preseason. It could tell the story.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would be really surprised if the Steelers extend Joe Hayden. Joe will probably
    be looking for top CB money and I have stated in previous threads Steelers usually
    don't pay for 3rd contracts of players. See Faneca/ Peezy.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Sorry I just don't see Haden commanding top dollar next year. He'll be over 30 and and I just don't think teams will pay big time for a CB that age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    He might not get top dollar but since Nelson got 8.5mil for the next 3 years and Haden is making 9 mil now he still will want good money. I don't think he will take less to stay here and an average CB is making bank now. Prince Amukamara is making the same money as Haden and Haden is twice the player imo. With that said we know how hard it has been to find a #1 and we have that in Haden so let's not let him go. jmo

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Actually haden will count near 12 mil. This year and Nelson comes pretty cheap for a #2. I don't see us paying haden that much again. Not with having to pay hilton too. I'll bet we will be looking to pay somewhere in the 8mil. range. Will haden take 2 years for say 17 mil.? :cool:

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like Haden don't get me wrong, but if the FO has to decide next year to pay Hilton or Haden. My vote would be for Hilton.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd like to have them both but not break the bank. Not sure that's possible.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Justin Layne, to me, is the best corner the Steelers have drafted in over a decade.. on paper. Persoanlly speaking, I did want Xaiver Howard from Baylor in 2016 but that is nugatory now. Artie, barring some incredible development, is likely gone and Haden is likely either going to show signs of regression or price himself out of Pittsburgh.

That being said, I hope Artie does turn it all around. A steep hill for him to climb. If he can, that does bode well for us in the long run.

15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Is it likely that they let Haden run down his remaining year and see where Layne is at to take over? I’d prefer to have Haden for at least one more year but I can see why they might decide that he is a luxury they can’t afford.

It would be very disappointing to lose any of Hargrave, Davis or Hilton. Presumably they will be thinking about new contracts for Juju and Conner next off season as well. It’s going to be tough to balance out the Cap.

16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The long run? They declined his 5th year option (for good reason), so he becomes a FA in 2020, along with Hilton and Haden. Do not see how that bodes well for the long run.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    From what I have been reading artie is immersing himself in coaches meetings and working his tail off. How that plays out is yet to be seen but we have two good coaches to work with these DBs, maybe it will work out for at least a backup spot. This will be an interesting watch. Sutton hasn't taken the step forward. Allen hasn't been given much of a shot so we could have a pretty empty cupboard after this year. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I do.

Having a former number one pick of the team bounce back allows the team to be more flexible with personnel decisions. Him, Cameron Sutton and Brian Allen all are likely not to be here come 2020. That is a lot of personnel loss.

Artie rounding back into form allows the team to part ways with both without worrying too much about a failsafe option in the portions of Free Agency or the Draft.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I wouldn’t mind if they gave Hilton an extension, but it won’t be the end of the world if they don’t. Honestly he didn’t play all that great last season.

I hope they do extend Hayden. He’s the best CB we’ve had since Taylor. I don’t wanna run him out of town just yet.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Hilton played hurt last year and he maybe didn't have as good of a season but it also wasn't a bad season. He is quite valuable to this team. Not every corner can play the spot well. When a team goes 4 wide he and Nelson should be the two on the spot receivers. Haden, layne, artie could become just as important on the outside. Nelson and hilton are our best two on the spot receivers. Who emerges on the outside will determine a lot in hadens future I think. No way we are going to pay haden 12-14 mil. to stay here. Not at 31. If he is willing to make 7-9 mil. We may jump but he makes more than that now. We have to be realistic about him and who we keep around. :cool:

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Allen hasn’t been given much of a shot, or hasn’t EARNED much of a shot?

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Either way. I thought he played pretty well in preseason only to be used on special teams. At the post his role last year and got out back in a game for a play only to get burnt. Why not give the kid a shot? I think he's a kid that's been way overlooked by us. Even after knowing artie was done last year.:cool:

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think anyone gets overlooked. We have plenty of players who are lower draft picks and UDFAs who earn playing time and second contracts by proving themselves. It’s to the team’s advantage to have inexpensive players take on larger roles and shine, so they’re not going to overlook an inexpensive guy who is performing well. We don’t see him in practice, so we don’t know what he does or doesn’t show the coaching staff, but it’s clearly not enough.

When Burns was benched, it was Sensabaugh - a journeyman free agent - who got the snaps, not Allen. There’s no reason why the team would do that other than Sensabaugh being a better option.

This offseason will be telling for Allen. He’s going to need to earn a roster spot. The physical attributes are there, but so far he has proven himself.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I remember a dog killing qb that got playing time over a guy that was a lower draft pick that was clearly beter. An OLB that sat behind guys for years until they gave him a shot and he ended up the dpoy. Butler didn't want him starting when he finally did. It's usually only an injury that allows these guys on the field. Sensabaugh was let walk and allen is still here, why would you keep a guy not good enough to see the field and let go of the journeyman that was better? Not only that but keep the guy that got benched for the journeyman too. Let's add that is two draft picks that were not good enough to take the spot over the journeyman and the pick that got benched. The only one not here is the journeyman. Yep makes sense to me.:cool:

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    You’re right.... they’ve overlooked Sensabaugh :cool: