1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

#SHALIEVE!! Anything Can Happen

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Yes. Shazier will beat the odds.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. No. Shazier should not consider it.

26 vote(s)
    81.3%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm having a hard time voting for this. I believe he wants to return but it would be a huge risk and I'm not sure any medical personnel wants to sign off on his style of play just yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Sorry, as much as I want to see a happy ending, I don't think there will be one. I agree in that I doubt any medical professional is going to want to sign off on his return. Even if Shazier were to return to form, I doubt he would ever be the same player. It is kind of like seeing who can hit the softest with your older brother. It is fun until your brother deliberately hits you as hard as he can and you develop a fear of playing the game with him again, or being anywhere near him, or going out in public, fear the sun and moon, develop mother issues, can't be in relationships...I really need to go to therapy. :crycry:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Unfortunately no. But he can still help Steelers out in some capacity.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I dont think he can return to the level he was as prior to injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m trying to understand why anyone thinks that he should not consider it.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I voted no, I don't think he can play in the same capacity. Dude is still walking funny and its been what 2 years?

I do need to get his jersey though, he is a Steeler legend in my book.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I'm positive that he is considering it without a shadow of a doubt. It's in his DNA. He's probably one of the smartest MLB's this organization has ever had. The drop off was huge after he went down from every position on the defensive side of the ball. The need for him to return has been addressed in the draft with the 1st round pick this year by trading up to get a suitable replacement. I hope to see him return but the likelihood of that happening from a medical clearance standpoint is probably less than 25%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I voted NO, this tells me he wont ever play again and back surgery doesnt have a good record for curing these spinal problems, my sister in law had 3 spine surgeries and none of them were successful:

: Steelers: Ryan Shazier Has Spine Stabilization Surgery

A fusion is often done in conjunction with decompression, meaning you take pressure off the spinal cord and nerve roots. So before putting in any hardware, the surgeons take out any part of the spine that’s pressing on nerves. This can relieve pain and other symptoms, but it leaves the spine vulnerable to excess movement and injury, which is why they go on and do the fusion.

With a fusion, the surgeons will put in irradiated cadaver bone, which is held in place with screws and plates and rods, usually made of titanium or stainless steel. These are put in along the backside of the backbones, and hold everything in place while the patient’s bones and the bone graft grow together.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    What he's accomplished so far can already be classified as a storybook ending......
    That said, I doubted sean Spence's recovery, and while he was not the same player he was when we drafted him, he still came back and was serviceable....
    I would be extremely happy to see shazier put the pads back on, but still i'm happy for him at his current stage

12. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm very glad that it looks as though he we be able to live a relatively normal life going forward, but playing middle linebacker for an NFL team again? I don't think so.

If this belief is helping his rehabilitation, that's great. That's why I hesitate to even doubt him publicly, putting that negativity out there. But he's not reading this forum.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    How close is modern medicine getting to creating the bionic man? Back injuries are as bad as foot injuries to come back from if at all.

14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He may well be medically cleared to play again at some point, perhaps at no more risk than any other player. That in itself would be a miracle. The issue is that there is literally zero chance he will be an NFL level player ever again, he just won’t, as much as we would all wish it.

He could end up on the field to play a ceremonial snap at some stage and that would be great to see.

15. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I want the guy to have a normal life, anything beyond that is gravy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That’s a nice opinion. To bad it’s tot rooted in facts.
    It always amazes me when people say stuff like this with no access to the guys medical records. Never examined the guy, but know for certain what they’re medically capable of.
    Everyone is different. We have no idea what Shazier is or isn’t capable of.

17. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t need to examine his medical records. Everyone may be different but can you name a single player in any contact sport ever ever to come back from an injury that serious and play at their previous level? The odds are so stacked against him taking the field again it’s not even worth talking about.

I’m rooting for the guy as much as anybody and I think he is an absolute inspiration but at the same time I’m being realistic. I really hope I’m wrong and he comes back to be an all pro.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Like I said you have no idea.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's defied all odds to this point so I voted yes. Going to back him and share his optimism for playing again.

How awesome would that be though? If he returns to the level of play before he got hurt PLUS having Bush now? Oh to dream.

• Like Like x 3
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Whatever. It’s a nice dream and I’m thrilled he is making a great recovery. History would suggest it’s extremely unlikely we see him play again though. Modern medicine is incredible so if there is even a small chance then he should continue to work towards it. There is a big difference between being physically able to play and being an NFL level player is all I’m saying. JMO, we don’t have to agree.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm a little confused by your responses to Glenn as it seems that you are saying three different things all at the same time. You are saying he could play football again but you don't think he can. You say he could play but he won't be at the same level as before the injury so you just aren't seeing it and then you say he could but you don't think a doctor would clear him so he can't play again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Perhaps try reading it again more carefully. I think my point is very clear and I’m not repeating it again. Didn’t say anywhere that a doc shouldn’t clear him btw so I don’t know where you are getting that from, perhaps you have me confused with another poster.

The poll at the top is possibly the issue, only two options, firstly that he beats all the odds and returns, second is that he shouldn’t even bother trying. There is a world of middle ground between the two and that is where the whole story will likely end.

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You are right I jumbled several of your responses together into a mixed bag which was why I was confused. It seemed like you were expounding on your original statement and taking it another direct from it. I see where you are coming from there.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Nobody would love to see him back in uniform more than me I promise you. If the hope that it might happen some day is what is driving his incredible recovery then good for him. I’m sure he understands that it is the longest of long shots. He is a hero either way

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This. If he wants to pursue his on-field football dream, I enthusiastically support him and will hope for the best.

However I admit I would be really, really surprised if he ever sets foot on an NFL field again as a productive player.

• Agree Agree x 1