1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers should have traded up last year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jun 28, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    https://stillcurtain.com/2019/06/28/steelers-trade-draft-year-late/

I agree to an extent. If people looked back at my posts, I was big on Vander Esch. I had no idea how good he'd be though.

I see this year as a definite panicky pic of sorts. I like the Bush pick, but his lack of height does have merit concerning his ability to cover large tight ends. We hope his athleticism helps, but it's still a huge height mismatch.

One thing i see from Bush's college tape is his ability to sniff out the screens and flat patterns well. I see this as a definite strength. I do have my concerns though about one on one coverage TEs.

We'll find out. Vander Esch looks to be a stud. I hope we're saying the same about Bush.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I wanted Derwin James if they traded up last year.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Pittsburgh attempted to trade up for RaShaan Evans last season. Sadly, Tennessee would not budge. The most likely team would have been Detriot. Issue is, what would have been their asking price?! Bear in mind that, just prior to even Tennessee's selection, the New Orleans Saints gave up a kings ransom for Marcus Davenport just to get into the Top 15.

Who knows what Dallas would have asked for with the 19th overall pick. Kevin already alluded towards not mortgaging the future after being asked about the selection of Terrell, something Tommy Jaggi acknowledges but also ignores at the same time. Teams are not going to have the same value chart.

Finally, one big aspect here; the whole aspect of drafting LVE would have never been possible anyway. Pittsburgh has already made it clear since Mike Tomlin took over in 2007 that, if the proverbial HOUSE is not at that player's Pro Day, do not expect them to be drafted in Round One.

Overall, I understand the concern about the lack of height for Devin Bush. I also appreciate the time Tommi himself took to write his concerns the same. Historically speaking, his odds are not great either. That being said, the game is now changing more towards sub package football. Devin Bush Jr. fits this to the "Tomlin T". Furthermore, he was already taking on 6'3+ Tight Ends in the B1G. No reason to assume he cannot succeed in the pros.

In short?! As you said mcam, time is needed here. I still believe Devin Bush Jr. will win or be in contention for DROY and a Pro Bowl selection. He just has "it" much like T.J. Watt did back in 2017. :herewego:

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't think it was a panic pick. KC has said they had their eye on Bush for a couple years. They knew exactly what they wanted to do. You could say it was a reaction pick, meaning they saw how they couldn't get Evans or LVE last year so they made sure they got Bush this year. They were just reacting to how the draft unfolded last year and didn't want to miss out this year. Panic pick evokes, imo, throwing a dart at a player who just fills a need at a position. Nit picking your choice of words I agree, I'm just sayin'. They had a target and went after him.

panic pick = zach summers eve gentry

5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Good points. For all we know, the Steelers tried to trade up to grab Vander Esch and failed. I still think the Steelers got a little lucky with the Broncos trade trading up into the 10th pick so I'm happy.

Ultimately I think it's fair to say Bush will be tested in height mismatches.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw reports that they did try, that they traded Bryant in order to package pick to move up for Vander.

We'll never but sounds plausible.

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    We'll never know what the cost would have been to move up. Sometimes it's not wise to bet the farm on one player, but other times it is.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Look at the year prior. We missed on all the safeties we wanted so the next year we got one early. The next year we finally got the LB we wanted the year before and we missed on. I'm glad we did. I don't think Evans was what we needed. I do agree about two years of panic picks because we missed the prior year, but we have them now. Bush however has cost us valuable picks, he better be good. I expect we will be looking OLB or corner next year. Like Mitchell s last year bud and write will be place holder's until then. I think we will pay hilton and Davis and barrages and draft an OLB. Layne takes hadens spot. JMO:cool:

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I can see that happening. Just don't have the cap for everyone. I love what Haden has brought to our secondary, just cannot see the team extending a long term contract to a CB whho is past 30.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd love to keep him but he won't come cheap. I think we need hilton and Davis back. I'd like to keep this safety tandem together for a few years and let them grow together. We have to keep a unit together and quit this revolving door of players, and keep them in the same spots.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They were more interested in holding 14.5 hostage waiting for the rap giant to put down the bong and report...

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I hate that dallas has a better defense than us and is closer to winning a ring than we are. I hate that Patriots will win another one before we do too lol.

Steelers purgatory

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    This might be the ewok's last year in Dallas.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    seems that way

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah it's hard to gauge as we don't know what the steelers tried to do.

But Vander Esch is going to be a stud in this league. I had my eyes on him last year and just knew he wouldn't be available. Lol damn oh well.

I am optimistic with Bush. But yeah the size will be a mismatch against tight ends I think. One thing I'm certain of is he will be tested.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The thing is, there was still an outstanding linebacker available when they selected in the first round last season. It's tough to say they should have traded up because we don't know how hard they tried. Maybe the asking price was just too high.

Then again, they paid a hell of a price to move up this year, something that wouldn't have been necessary if they had gotten somebody like Vander Esch or Leonard in last year's draft.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Among the defensive rookies who have the best chances of winning DROY, Devin Bush Jr. is among the best of them. Pittsburgh has not had that since Kendrell Bell back in 2001. Since Bell, there really has not been many candidates for this team.

We will just have to wait and see with Bush. I cannot wait for Training Camp as that will answer many of the remaining questions. The most important ones will be open until the Preseason games arrive.