1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Franco Harris: One of the most overrated players in NFL history

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ScoutingSteelers, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I have a 1 min attention span to get through whatever point someone is trying to make. Sorry but couldn't keep up after 1st paragraph so went right to the last paragraph to figure our how much I disagree with all the garbage in between.

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    To the poster... It looks like you put hours upon hours into this project of yours, and I find that really admirable. You used science and statistics to support your argument, and to that I say, "Well done!" This was all very well thought out and executed, but unfortunately, I stopped reading after a paragraph or two (I'm actually proud I could handle it that long). The roles of running backs, how they run, what they are asked to do, and the formations they run in have all evolved over the years. Franco did what he was asked, and he did it very well. So while your research suggests he was "weak", there is an MVP and a HOF that says otherwise. Now, stick that in your Youtube analysis and smoke it!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    They are? I just ask because every one you used for your "research" is not available and apparently sourced from deleted accounts. I know the NFL is fast, but that fast?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ScoutingSteelers

ScoutingSteelers Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Funny, I see Kolb using his hands in this 1975 picture:

[​IMG]

5. ScoutingSteelers

ScoutingSteelers Member

Jun 26, 2019
  6. ScoutingSteelers

ScoutingSteelers Member

Jun 26, 2019
    The role of the running back was never to just follow the blocking and go down to the first guy who touched him. Just about every running back in the league will gain the yards there are untouched. That's why the Broncos were able to churn out 1500 yard back after 1500 yard back after Terrell Davis.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It’s a bit unfair to call the OP a troll when theyve done a lot of work to make his point.

My criticism is that they use one criteria - broken tackles - at the expense of other attributes.

So one question would be: Harris broke Jim Brown’s record by rushing for over 1000 yards in 8 consecutive seasons. Do you think any RB would have done that, given the personnel around him?

• Like Like x 2
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm sure you could find a picture of a lineman holding too but it doesn't make it legal.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There are a lot of us :drinks:

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hey! I resemble that remark.:cool:

11. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    All that useless information. Who really cares. Get a life.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I have noticed from time to time a "New" member shows up, posts a look at me post, responds repeatedly to their own post to keep it alive, and gets beat down over a series of posts like a Whac-A-Mole. Then they disappear for a while to wait for the dust to settle, and poof they reincarnate under a new name. I'm seeing deja vu here. Time will tell. If so, welcome back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    What did you expect coming here blasting a legend like that

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I'll bet the o.p. will come next with some sort of "advanced metrics" to discredit john stallworth or Hines ward .......
    Then come up with some fool argument to prove mark malone was our greatest qb

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For what it’s worth, the whole time Franco played, outsiders tried to say he wasn’t any good. All the way to the HOF.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah some of these guys are “tenacious”

20. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    What the F*ckity F*ck is this sh*t?

Not only is it TL,DR I couldn't give 2 sh*ts less.

21. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Since I lived through all those years and actually saw Harris play, I didn`t need to review the lengthy video. There is a sliver of truth here in that Franco would go to the ground to avoid collision when he could. I remember TV commentators saying his runs were deceptive in that it looks like he often didn`t get much, but after his falling forward, lunging and you measure, he usually had 4 yards.

I also remember that if the game was close and the team needed it, he would sacrifice his body more. So yes he avoided contact when possible and that would explain any unusual/exotic stat like the OP stated in his premise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was going to mention this. Harris did preserve himself. It’s one of the reasons he lasted so long. But it’s not like he got to the HoF by running little and often for a longer period of time.

The OP has used only one trait - breaking tackles - and over-generalised a conclusion from this. It may be that there are other metrics to make their case, but they’d need to present them.

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I admire any back that was productive as he was during his time. It was a different league then.

He showed he was a top tier back of his time showing durability against heavy run support defenses.

So long story short no I don't think he is overrated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Look Mark Malone was what he was, a highly intelligent (at least that is what the commentators used to say), superior athlete (remember him setting the steelers record with that 90 yd td catch), who thought looking like Tom Selleck would make him a star. Beyond that I would thank you for not bringing up the painful memories of watching him play on Steeler uniform. Now I need a beer.

25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I really do not care about metrics. I do not get into GOAT arguments because the measurables are to difficult to really compare. Different times, styles of play and more. I would never say Franco was the greatest, he was one of the best in his generation and has more rings for that effort. He was the perfect back for the Steelers scheme. Remember they considered drafting Lydell Mitchell as well. He had a productive career with the Colts. I believe Robert Newhouse was also Noll's favorite, Robert had a decent career, but still not Franco.

• Like Like x 1