1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ready for normalcy after crazy few years

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 17, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    We can only comment on what is here we have no control who the front office brings in, with that said Vance's track record speaks for itself and if you aren't worried or prepared for time without him then you are fooling yourself. Also as far as Grimble taking the job away from JJ please, look at the snap counts it is nervous(for me) to think Grimble can step into our #2 role never mind the #1 role. I get some are in love and hopeful for Grimble and I get it I am not trying to disrespect anyone's opinion I am just looking at facts and my own opinion and nothing in Grimbles career shows he is capable of being a #2 never mind the #1 if needed. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I just posted what I disagree with you are much higher on Grimble than I am and that is where our opinions differ . :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Gotcha. There is always a concern when a starter goes down but as I said earlier we have other options and sets this team can mix in with grimble. Nix and samuels. Using a mix of the three will keep defenses mismatched. I don't know too many other teams that have these types of options in they're arsonal.:cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not “blaming” the #2 for not being a #1. I’m saying that I think the #2 is - at best - a #3. I hope I’m wrong, because he’s likely going to get a lot of important snaps this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

yes we all have opinions on that, we shall see. He is in year 5 of his career. His down the seam work is his strength. We also have these options to mix in to where he doesn't have to be an every play number two option if Vance goes down. Most teams don't have that and it's harder to defend.:cool:

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I disagree these guys have a spot in our normal offense and are used to mix and match not to step in when our #1 TE goes down. I don't mean disrespect when I say this but you have a much more optimistic outlook on some of these guys then me and some others here. Maybe these guys step up but maybe they don't but what I can say is none have so far and that is what I have to base my opinion on. Also we are a win now team we can't afford to lose a weapon like Vance and have question marks backing him up. jmo

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Nix and samuels are proven. We don't need to be in a TE set the whole game with other options. It's not like we haven't used other options a lot so I don't know how you are so surprised by this. :cool:

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We are thin at TE. We really need a solid #2. Grimble may be able to step up and fill the role, but until he does it he hasn’t.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What does Nix offer in the passing game and if Samuels has to fill in at TE that takes away from the his flexibility. What I am surprised about is the fact that some people including our front office are not as worried about the #2 TE role. Vance was 3rd on our team in targets(72) and our #2 guy JJ was sixth with 39 and is gone and we will replace him with Grimble and his 8 targets?????? Samuels already has a role as he had 29 targets and letting him be a #2 TE will take away from that role. jmo

I know you are hopeful on Grimble but seriously what do we have to go on with him? His 5 years in the league in which he was with 3 teams and never had a reception with 2 of them, his 22 career receptions? Sorry I want more out of our #2 guy since the glass man is our #1. This is just how I look at this with us being a pass happy team and a win now team.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I seriously doubt Colbert and Tomlin are entering 2019 with just Vance and Xaiver. While Colbert is not huge on trades overall, in recent years, he is very active in the preseason. Ryan Switzer being his latest example.

Look for a trade to come within that frame.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I hope you are right, I will keep my fingers crossed.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I never said either has to play TE first off. I said we can do different things with those two. Different sets where a TE wouldn't be needed. Most teams don't have a FB. Nix has caught passes. Samuels has a lot of flexibility to do many things. mix that in with grimble and we can cover the loss of vance, which hopefully doesn't happen. We already use this style so it's not something new to this team.:cool:

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Unless Zach Gentry can obliterate all expectations in the Pre-Season, I would imagine Colbert is going to be looking to add another Tight End. Beyond Vance, not much else. If anything, going into the season with Vance alone is enough to warrant a fail safe plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    let's also look at the fact that targets mean very little from last year to this year. Grimble only had 8 but had 6 catches. IN had 39 targets but only 30 catches. Vance had 72 targets but only 50 catches. Grimble had a higher yards per catch average then either of those two. Samuels targets and catches will increase this year. As a number two grimbles targets will go up. it's not like he was inactive for the last 4 years. He did play. As a number two even two more targets a game puts him at jesses numbers. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Is Grimble a huge drop off then Jesse was? Better blocker with worse hands. We will be fine if Vanimal goes down. Just won't be throwing to the TE as much.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I never said you did however you did quote my last post about having Nix and Samuels. What I said is if we have to use Nix and/or Samuels to pick up the slack from not having a reliable #2 TE then that will take away from what we are using Nix and Samuels for already. The problem you and I have with our OPINIONS is the fact you are high on Grimble and I am not. the reason I am not is the fact that he hasn't shown he can do it, which doesn't mean he can't but 22 receptions in 5 years tells me I am not the only one who thinks this. jmo I am with you if Vance stays healthy this is a non issue.....fingers crossed there too lol

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

You and me can make stats look whatever way we want and the reason I choose targets is the fact that this covers all his time. You are missing the point in 5 years Grimble has had 22 receptions what in those 22 receptions tells you he is capable of the number one role WHEN Vance goes down? Is it the 6 catches in 8 targets.....oh boy that is a real comfort there. I agree that Grimble's targets and receptions will go up as a number 2 that is pretty obvious but like I said where is the proof that tells us he can handle it? If there was proof I am pretty sure he would have teams knocking on his door but we got him off the scrap heap. It don't matter what i type you are fine with him and I am not so we disagree no problem but time will tell how the Steelers feel. If he is the number 2 we will find out if he can handle it when Vanve goes down but if we trade for a guy or pick one up that will answer another question. :smiley1:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    No you said if Samuels has to fill in at TE.:cool:

19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I must be missing something. I always thought Grimble was decent as a receiver. Did a I miss where he has dropped a bunch of passes. The way we pass to the TE's is so streaky anyhow. It is not like we consistently target the TE although I really hope that changes. Further more, am I forgetting that Vance missed a bunch of games last season? I thought he had a pretty intact season overall. I know my mind is slipping into oblivion, but damn. I must admit I am looking forward to when my mind is completely gone, and I can say whatever I want without regret!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'd rather the Steelers lose, but compete, with the good teams like Patriots and Chargers and actually beating crappy teams like Cardinals and 49ers. It would be a step forward. But we all know Steelers will crap the bed on the west coast. It's a given.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    :facepalm:......omg

Yeah cause aren't we talking about the #2 TE? You responded with we have Nix and Samuels, I responded with Nix and Samuels have their own roles and can't be relied on for a #2 spot. I think we are getting our signals mixed. :smiley1:

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

You did not miss anything Grimble did great catching 6 of his 8 targets but imo he hasn't done enough to give me confidence he could be a #1 for a game or 2. As for the TE production Vance was targeted 72 times while catching 50 which was 3rd and 4th on our pass happy team. JJ was targeted 39 times while catching 30 so I would say the TE spot is pretty important in our offense. Also hate to bring this up but we also will be replacing 168 targets and 104 receptions andimo some of that will get spread to the TE's making the back up all that more important. jmo

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    No, no & he11 no. We need to beat Marsha & Rivers EVERY time we play them. Yes we do need to start winning games out west. I'm as feed up as you are about their record out west.

24. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I see what your saying here, I honestly was worrying that I missed something last season.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It's not grimbles fault that's all they threw to him. JJ was a draft pick. They let him walk finally. James Daniels has seen them all play and practice the last four years so I'm going with his judgement on this matter. I don't think grimble brings much less than jesse did. We have 3 young guys that can try to make their mark as well. Time will tell. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1