1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bourbon - and other spirits - Thread (was: @ Myronwemissyinz)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Dec 24, 2011.

1. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Had this yesterday. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. easier to drink with a splash of water, but boring. I'd skip this one.

Bastille 1789
    2014 Batch

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    So I tried the Ardbeg 10 last night with some whiskey cubes. It's on sale at PA liquor stores. I'm not sure if I totally dig it yet. Very complex start, slightly medicinal, with a long lasting Smoked Gouda taste. Maybe it just surprised me more since I've been drinking a lot of Monkey Shoulder lately.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Has anyone had Michter's US1 American Whiskey? It's essentially a bourbon but can't be called a bourbon because it is aged in used oak barrels.

I am going to the states tomorrow and I am eyeing a bottle of that to bring back across the border.

I hear great things.

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    It's great. Almost a dessert whiskey. Lots of vanilla (almost a vanilla cream) compared to average bourbons.

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Keep at it. The sweetness will shine through soon enough. Slight citrus too. It's one of my favorite Islays. Who am I kidding? I like them all.

That medicinal note is the iodine from the peat. Compared to Laphroaig, it's very light (the iodine I mean). I always thought Ardbeg was more smoke, Laphroaig more peaty.

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Brought it back. Probably will open it up on the weekend. Thanks for the feedback.

I was tempted to get a bottle of Angel's Envy too. Ever try it? Decided to stick with the Michters.

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    No. I haven't tried that one yet. I hear it's good though.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow, I didn't realize you all were so sophisticated and stately until I peeked at this thread. I'm more hillbilly than I thought seeing how I where I'm from you get made fun of if you drink from anything other than a tin can (dixie cups are fine china). I'm probably one of the few people in my profession who get made fun of for working for the wrong team...go figure.

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Sophisticated? I've been called many things, but never that. :roflmao:

I know some guys who think drinking from anything other than the bottle is high falutin.

I might appreciate a more expensive whisky now and then. But I also still like good ol' Jack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm sophisticated and I drink Jack. That's why I drink Gentleman Jack.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    Ok, so I drank the rest of the Ardbeg 10. It got better and better at each sitting. The sweetness did show itself and I've come to like it best with Ice. The smokeyness came out little more this way but seemed a little more polished.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Looks like it's time for a few more sips - Birthday Boy! Have a good one. :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Just got back from OCMD. While there, I hit a few stores to find things I couldn't necessarily find near me. Found 3 of these in Rehoboth, and the Bunnahabhain in OCMD. So the answer to "How far have you driven to buy a whiskey?" is technically 225 miles now. :lolol:

Kung fu.jpg

Being vacation, of course I may have indulged (had a few days off before going), so sadly, I laid to rest a few bottles from my collection. RIP: Balvenie Caribbean Cask, High West Campfire, Larceny, Bulleit, and Jameson Caskmates (don't worry, they were all close to gone anyway, and it wasn't in one night. LOL)

With the new additions, my current stash looks like this. No, I don't store them on stairs, I just needed a way to get a decent picture. Actually, right now, they're in an old cedar chest that looks kind of like an ornate pirate treasure chest. :D I had to move them into that and in a well air conditioned room because where I normally keep my alcohol is getting far too warm in this heat wave for good storage (heat is nearly as bad as light for alcohol). And I needed to be able to keep them under lock and key and away from kids. Hopefully, by fall, they can return to their rightful place in the cabinet. Looking at the picture, I realized I need more bourbon represented. Having recently tried (and loved) Basil Heyden's, that's next on the list.

Collection.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That's quite the collection you've got growing there, Ray. What's your policy on unwelcome, thirsty visitors who drop by unannounced? AFAF. :tequila:

Kidding aside, I too have used a cedar chest as a temporary liquor cabinet. Works great. :D

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    If it's a Steeler brother, door is open. :)

Compared to some folks I know, that collection is just a fledgling. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  16. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    Was drinking some Michters Kentucky Straight Bourbon over the weekend. I tell you what, this is not a bad bourbon! Starts off a little spicy, then some caramel, and maybe cinnamon? Seemed complex to start but very approachable.

17. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    That's a good one. Reminds me of Elijah Craig.

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Christmas time is always a good time for new whiskey. Family will buy me bottles I usually don't have, so I'll try something new I might not ordinarily go out of my way to try. (Hell, that's really what spurred me into being a whiskey guy to begin with). Or I get gift cards/money.. which I just use to buy booze anyway. ;)

I've only tried a handful of them so far, and all are only on a first impression basis. A lot of times, you'll try something, and whether you liked it or not, on the second exposure a couple weeks later, it's not what you remembered. So take all of it with a grain of salt.

First, Johnny Walker put out some new Game of Thrones scotches again this year. One called "A Song of Ice," and another called "A Song of Fire." I have no idea how "Ice" is. And like White Walker last year, I'm not expecting these to be stellar bottlings. But holy crap is "A Song of Fire" GOOD!!! I expected something on the smokey side. Both due to the name, and because they mentioned that the base of it is Caol Ila (an Islay scotch usually fairly smokey). Turns out, not so much. Oh, it's there if you concentrate, but it gets lost in the cascade of other flavors. Best way to sum it up: it's Christmas in a glass. Sweet, cinnamon (not added, just the impression) and nutmeg. For $20 a bottle?!?!?! I need to get as much as I can while they last!

My sisters all chipped in on my gift this year. And it was a GREAT gift. For novelty's sake, it was a fun gift. A rather large cigar humidor (they know I like my occasional cigars), but inside was 3 bottles of scotch. Dewar's 12 y/o (I'm guessing a step up from base Dewar's), Craigellachie 13 (a Speyside scotch: region usually known for light, sweet and fruity whisky), and Aberfeldy 12. Bottom line: Dewars was good for a blend. Nothing wrong with it. Nothing GREAT about it either. The other 2 were amazingly good and I'll buy them again.

I'm currently drinking Woodford Reserve Wheat Whiskey (not bourbon). Call up Joan Jett and get the Runaways together because this is a ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb! Both on the nose and taste, all I can seem to get is cherry in spades. On the finish, there's a mild hint of wheat bread. Silky smooth.

So that just leaves 2 different bottles of Ardbeg, 2 of Laphroaig, 2 bourbons and one I've been wanting to try for a long time - Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban - "it's the most wonderful time of the year..."

(What bad season?)

Oh, and my daughter stationed in Germany sent me these :D :

Cubans.jpg They're authentic Cubans. Will they live up to the hype? Who cares! I can check off the bucket list. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    @Ray D great to hear of the new bottles!

I remember those Cohibas from the last time I was down in Cuba. Good but didn't quite live up to the hype for me. Let me know how the others go. I had some Romeo Y Julieta cigars this year that were incredible.

On the whisky front -

I discovered a Canadian whisky from Newfoundland called Signal Hill. The most incredible nose on a whisky I've ever experienced . Drinks like a typical Canadian whisky, nothing special.

Finally was able to get my hands on a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. My favorite of the Wild Turkeys. Always tough to find here. Stocked up on bottles of Elijah Craig and Blanton's recently.

Debating on a bottle of Michters small batch bourbon or Bakers next.

I am really becoming more and more ornery on the lack of availability of Bourbons to be found in Canada lately. I was speaking with some of the Wild Turkey/Jim Beam reps at a whisky fest recently, and they said it is absolutely political. Canada has cut imports of American bourbon over the past few years.

For me to travel to the US and bring some home, I'm only allowed essentially a 26oz bottle and I have to have stayed in the US for 48 hours. It's absolutely maddening.

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    @SteelCity_NB it sucks that politics has to ruin something like that. But we'll leave any talk of that to other mediums. ;)

If I was choosing between Michter's Small Batch or Bakers, Bakers all day every day.

I haven't heard of Signal Hill. Not available where I live. I confess to not knowing or trying very many Canadian Whiskies outside of Crown, etc.

If bourbon is that difficult to acquire for you, maybe branch out into Irish or Scotch? :) Then again, you're stocked up on Blantons, and in many/most areas in the US, you're more likely to strike up a friendship with Sasquatch than even see a bottle of Blantons. :lolol:

Edit: it's not an option for me as PA won't allow anyone to ship alcohol into the state. But have you looked into Online order sites like Master of Malt and Flaviar? Might help you get the ones you want if it's legal in Canada. Hell, even Amazon ships liquor in some (lucky) countries.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Picked up a new to me single malt the other day- Balvenie 14 weak of Peat. I’ve been on a huge Islay malt binge for a few months (mostly Lagavulin 16) and just had to try this one. Picked it up for just under $100 at a local bottleshop. It’s good, but I would have preferred a glass or two and another bottle of Lagavulin.

If you’re in the mood for something a little mellower Glendronach(not a smoke/peat bomb)was recommended to me. I’ve tried their 12 and 15 year old offerings. Both are very good Highland malts with a strong sherry finish.

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Had my eye on a bottle of that the other day, but decided on Ardbeg Corryvrecken instead. What's the difference between "Week of Peat" and "Peat Week?" I'm genuinely curious. Or did they just change the name?

I've never seen Glendronach in the wild in my neck of the woods. But I'm definitely not against sherry cask scotches. If I ever see a bottle I can afford, rest assured I'll be snatching it up.

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Time for a little apples to apples compare/contrast. I'll call it a draw. ;)

Lag Laph 16.jpg

24. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Thanks for the advice about ordering online. I'll look into it. Just assumed there would be some type of headache or hassle involved.

I know when I enter into the US they could care less if you have alcohol or tobacco. They're always more concerned if you have meats or produce. However, you better rest assure when you come back into Canada they will dismantle your entire car if they thought you had more tobacco or alcohol than what you are allowed.

I think I will go with the Baker's. I've had it before but never had a bottle of mine own.

Funny story about the Blanton's. All our liquor stores are government run called ANBL. They have 1 store in NB known as a Specialty/Experience store.

This store brought in a case of Blanton's in the late summer. I bought 2 immediately. Gave 1 to a friend as a gift. I assumed they were going to start bringing it in regularly. I went back just before Christmas and found out they never brought in any more. They had 1 bottle left so I got it.

I should have bought the entire case back in the summer. :lolol:

As for Irish and scotch... I dabble in Irish every now and again. I've got a bottle of regular Jamieson and a bottle of the caskmates stout edition

I probably said the same thing a year ago, but still haven't come around completely on scotch. I don't mind it but in Canada, Scotch is very expensive vs bourbon or other whiskies .

I forgot to mention at the whisky fest in November, I did buy a bottle of Dalmore Cigar Malt. Now this I do love it but it was $150. Definitely a gift to myself.

There was a special bottle of McCallan Rare Cask. They waited an extra 20 minutes before opening. I was probably 6th in a lineup of about 30 people. This is indicative of me not being a big Scotch guy, but I thought it was good but certainly not worth the price tag, $400.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I tried a few Laohroaigs in 2019. Never had Lagavulin.

My buddy bought a bottle of 18 year old Glenmorangie at the festival. That was pretty tasty but expensive.

• Like Like x 1