1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN Grade Offseason for Steelers as Above Average

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jun 19, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...ge-offseason-antonio-brown-ben-roethlisberger

I agree for the most part. I remember seeing Le'veon early in his career thinking he'll eventually be looking for big $$ and most likely finish his career out elsewhere. I had no idea though how much of a drama series and distraction that whole thing would play out though. I do not think he will be able to fulfill the role that Gase has for him lining up all over the field consistently as a Jet. I think he will focused on by opposing defenses, and his numbers will drop dramatically showing he's overrated as a prospect lining up whereever on the field. Most of his catches were out of the backfield as a checkdown receiver being a beneficiary of an excellent team around him. He also does not have the O-line the Steelers have to make those lanes open for him to be 'Patient'. Will be interesting to see, but I think the Steelers dodged a bullet here actually with him not accepting the offer.

Brown was a surprise. I did not see things going down the way they did with him. Ultimately I still attest the whole fiasco was mostly about money, with ego being secondary to why he demanded to be traded elsewhere.

For those of us that remember life before the "3 Bs" concept, this team has always been above those that believe they are better than the team. For those I would consider superficial fans, they can't see past the 3Bs concept and believe this team has what it takes to be a contender.

The X factor whether people want to admit it or not is Ben Roethlisberger. Love him or hate him, he is the glue that holds this team in playoff contention. The defense ultimately finished in pretty good standing compared to the rest of the league leading the league in sacks surviving with a spotty and inconsistent secondary.

The Steelers have done a good job of pursuing veteran players at reasonable prices to help fill obvious weaknesses. They were aggressive in the draft trading up for decent value IMO to move up to 10 to get a potentially all pro ILB at one of their weakest and most exploited positions on defense.

Ben will have to be sharp, and everyone around will have to step it up, but unless this team is decimated with injuries at key positions, I see them back in the playoff mold this upcoming season. I think they did a decent job filling voids and adding depth at key positions. Overall I agree with their assessment, but don't put as much weight or concern in the loss of Brown and Bell. I think that will show here soon enough this team is bigger than individual players.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    My biggest off season concern is losing Mike Munchak. I fear the Offensive line becoming too inconsistent down the stretch. He's probably the best Oline coach we've ever had.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Keeping Butler as DC and also having him coach OLBs knocks my offseason grade down a bit. But hiring Austin seems like a good move. But I especially like MT admitting he's a dumbazz and can't judge challenges and Austin will help with that. And I like the RB coach hire. Munchak leaving was tough but Sarrett has had good reviews. I was more concerned with why Munchack left. Was it because the lockerroom was such a cluster because I'm not really buying the grandkid thing.

Player wise, Bell was gone the year before so I never really counted him. AB is gone but so are the headaches lets hope. Team chemistry as a whole has seemed to improve if you're drinking the minicamp koolaid.

Overall I think it was a good offseason.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I think Munch left due to knowing that his chance to be HC here some day has passed him by along with being tired of the circus act that has encompassed the locker room during the MT era. Denver seems like a good fit for him also where they are usually in the hunt almost every season. The grandkid(s) thing is just icing on the cake in his decision.

5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    When I still believe the problems with the defense fall on Butler's shoulders and not due to a lack of talent, I scratch my head wondering why he was retained. In my opinion, he has had more than enough opportunity to show who he is. Other than that, I really like this off-season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It’s hard to judge the off-season at this point but I’m cautiously optimistic. I like what they did in the draft and I like the signings of Moncrief and Nelson. Looking at the cap I’m wondering is Barron a luxury they can’t afford but time will tell.

Defence is a worry but I’m glad they brought Austin in, hopefully they can improve in the secondary with improved showings from Edmunds and Davis and better reliability with Nelson. A much better ILB group will also help.

I'm not worried about the offence I think they will figure out how to move the ball with Ben.

Special teams was poor last year and needs significant improvement. If 2017 Boswell would show up that would be a great start.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like our roster and barring injuries feel we have a good chance to make the playoffs.
    I do not care for Mike Tomlin as a head coach and feel the Steelers are handcuffed by his leadership.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Munchak isn't going to be a HC anywhere, the Steelers will be just fine on the OL, Shaun Sarrett has been with the team since 2012.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It was a decent offseason. Play hard, and lose to better teams I am totally cool with. Fart around and blow games i'm not lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Why not?

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Sarrett has coached a lot of years in the NFL and several with munchak, he's not a concern to me. We have several other new coaches that have not coached on this level. That is more of a concern and there has to be a learning curve there. Just like with the players there is a big jump from college to the pros.:cool:

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    How many 60 year old OL coaches are getting HC jobs?:shrug: He might get a shot as a interim HC somewhere, if the Denver current HC gets fired during the season.

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If we had a bunch of changes at O-line I'd be a bit more concerned, but this group has been there and done that. There also is some congruence at the position coach. It's not like it's someone brand new coming in to shake the already established pile.

So I'm optimistic this group will do great once again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'd of LOVED to see them bring in Kevin Greene to challenge the OLBs and coach them. Yeah I'm not big on Butler being in charge of them, BUT this team did lead the league in sacks last year. So I'm not panicked.

This truly is do or die for Bud Dupree. If he fails to show a higher level of play he can expect to be a journeyman LB like Bostic and Co. eventually to fade off the radar. Most anticipate that for the remainder of his career, but we'll get to see him at what should be his best effort.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Munchak is probably the most respected O line coach in the league and has head coaching experience. The only thing his age should have to do with anything is experience, almost 40 consecutive years in the league. I think the Steelers are going to regret letting him go, beyond his impact to the O line.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Arians just got rehired at 67 years old, pete carroll is 66, belichick is 65, mike zimmer is 61, andy reid is 60, I dont think being 60 or even older is a hinderence to getting hired as a head coach.....

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I agree losing Munchak may be an off-season concern, but not the biggest. I loved Munchak as the Steelers o-line coach, and you did say probably, but Dan Radakovich was as good if not better than Munchak. He took a guy like Webster, a 5th round pick, and helped him become a hall-of-famer; a converted tight end become a pro-bowl caliber player in Larry Brown; not to mention Jon Kolb, Jim Clack, and Gerry Mullins, none of them first round picks. He also transitioned the line from run blockers in the early 1970s to players that could do both in the late 70s.

My biggest concerns are Tomlin, Boswell or whoever the kicker is, and the receiving corps. Tomlin with his flaws, and all the drama, has never lost the team to the point of going 5-11. But he needs to regain the leadership he had his first few years. The kicker needs to be consistent. The receivers need to be AB in the aggregate.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    His name hasn’t surfaced as a candidate for a while. For what that’s worth.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    None of those guys were coming off being a OL coach, they were coordinators or coming off being a HC recently.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    When was the last time a OL coach was hired to be a HC?

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Didn't Munch turn down a HC interview last year? With Arizona and Miami?

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    his 2nd interview with AZ

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Marronne in Jacksonville? Not that he was an ol coach at the time if thats what your getting at.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't know. When was the last time an O line coach was previously a head coach?

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Arizona, don't think Miami. This year he interviewed with Denver for the HC job. When they turned him down, I thought we were safe from losing him, never saw Denver turning round and then offering him the OL job.

He'll be a HC again.

• Agree Agree x 1