1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who gets a contract extension next?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Davis

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Hilton

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Hargrave

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Haden

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  5. Tomlin

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Haden would take a 2 year team friendly deal, then that would make sense. Hargrave would be a good choice to get done also, he's coming off his best season.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Haden NEEDS to be extended thanks to Burns not panning out.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hargrave would be my first priority. He's a very good underrated player and young, lock him up.

Followed by Haden but they may want to see what they have in Layne.

Hilton is going to sign his tender, I don't think they are going to reach an agreement.

The rest, I wouldn't now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hilton will get an extension good slot corners who can blitz don't grow on trees. They will do right by him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Gotta go with Hargrave imo.

Sean Davis should be a wait and see after this year
    Would love to extend Hilton but I don't know if they got the cash to do it now
    I'd wait and see on Haden too, he may crash and burn or he may be steady eddie. Hard to tell.
    Tomlin, I'd wait and see, put the heat on him some

6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep, I wouldn't trip over myself running to hand Tomlin an extension just yet. If he isn't in the hot seat, under a microscope, two eyes glued on him, tell what kind of bubble gum he is chewing kind of a coach this year, something is terribly wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Hargrave and Haden have to be the priority, it would be great if they could get those two done this off season, I know the cap situation is desperately tight but I’m sure they are working on it. As for Haden taking a team friendly deal forget it, that day is gone. If Ben didn’t take one nobody should.

Hilton and Davis will probably have to wait until next year if at all. Ideally you’d hang on to both of them but it may be difficult to give them what they want. The team also needs to decide what to do with Bud.

Looks like the team will need to continue to use their high picks on defence for the foreseeable future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hargrave! Hilton would be next.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hilton, davis. Keeping some of this d backfield in tact will be critical. Haden and dupree could free up 20 mil.. Hargraves will be a tough sign because of the money we already have invested in the d line. I think they try to find out what they have in layne and buggs. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Was gonna go with Tomlin after all he never had a losing season........... just poking some of you guys.

Seriously I went Haden for a couple reasons. First will be his cap number and extending him could bring that down a bit this season. Second when you have a #1 CB you keep him and you can never have enough CB's in today's NFL. One thing about Hargrave is he plays less than half(43%) of the defensive snaps. Love digger and would like to see him extended just don't think he is more important than Haden or Hilton. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Haden will be extended as he should be.

Hargrave hopefully gets an extension but he is only a situational player in this defense now so the deal shouldn't loom large.

Hilton will have to wait.

Sean Davis needs to have more then an average season.

If they didn't waste 9.2 on a mediocre player they would have had extra cash.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I went with Hargrave just because he is young and as more upside. I think Haden will also get extended but probably after Hargrave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Is the question who SHOULD or who WILL get an extension?

I voted Tomlin mostly out of cynicism due to my gut feeling about how ARII is running this team... keep us just good enough to keep the seats full.

My "should" answer largely aligns with @CK 13 ... I don't they will value Hargrave very high.. my guess is they feel like they will get more production from other parts of the line (wether they are correct is another question o_O again this is my cynicism talking bolstered by the BD "extension"). I've always had an emotional affinity for hilton because of the noise he's made with the edge blitzes but if he's over valuing himself...

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think it's easier to find a slot CB, than a effective NT, they just need to play Hargrave more. Also Hilton had a down season in 2018, let him prove himself in 2019.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Tomlin for sure. He will be the longest tenured Steelers coach

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've known you long enough on this message board to know this is sarcasm. :icon e geek:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That is the problem with Haden. He is 30, and though still producing, the drop off can be remarkably fast for that position. I do not see how they can pay Hilton and Haden both.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    An extension of Haden at a reasonable price tag should create cap space in 2019. Extending Hargrave and/or Hilton take up cap space that we do not currently have. Both overthecap and Spotrac have us only $1 million under right now.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A long term deal for Dupree doesn't change his cap hit this season right

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ditto, to some degree. The comment about keeping the seats full is all wrong. Correct phrase is keep us competitive enough to potentially win every year is exactly what they do. And they do it well. I went Tomlin based on "will" not "should".

21. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm feeling less grumpy than i was this morning so I'll side with you on that "corrected statement"

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I get what your saying but it isn't about playing more as it is the scheme we run. Haden is gonna be on the field all the time that was why I went with him. I agree Hilton had a down year but he was pretty good and is one heck of a blitzer. I disagree with slot CB's being easy to find look how our pass defense has been. jmo

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I would think it would?

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :smiley1:

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Justin Layne's progress could throw the proverbial monkey wrench for Haden in 2020 should he begin to decline in 2019. For that matter, having him decline mid season is the last thing the Steelers need. Hopefully though, Haden plays well to warrant that contract.

Regarding the likes of Hargrave and Hilton, I can say I am surprised for both. For Hargrave, he was the best draft pick from 2016. In addition, pass rushing Nose Tackles are not exactly growing on the proverbial trees in the NCAA. As for Hilton, same aspect. Run defending, blitz effective slot corners who can not just do the aforementioned but cover well are still in a transition phase within the NCAA and therefore seldom seen as successful so early on as Mike Hilton. Both SHOULD have been signed already. Anto- I mean, "Mr. Big Chest" did the team ZERO favors. That alone screwed up everything.

Tomlin.... I am not too sure with him. Art Rooney II should have already signed him by now. Perhaps Art will indirectly send Tomlin a strong message this season. I could not blame him if this were the case.