1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Three Players The Steelers Should Trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the best we can hope for is a conditional 6th or 7th from a team that suffers an injury at CB in the preseason. More likely he just gets cut before week 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I disagree on Switzer. The dude brings ice cream to practice and is overall a good dude. He also showed to make some key plays along with returning kicks.

As for Burns, HELL YEAH if you get a 3rd round pick trade him LOL. The reality is, I don't see any team giving up anything as they'll simply just wait until we release him if he's on their radar.

And Mason, I would definitely think about it if the price were above a 3rd round. Since I don't see that happening, then keep him in the mix with the QB competition. You need a good QB in this league anymore to do well and franchise QBs can be tough to come by. The dolphins for example haven't had an answer since Dan Marino. The Cardinals spent two consecutive high first round picks on a QB the past two years. QB more than anything is hit or miss with plenty of 1st rounder busts.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You didn’t disagree with me on Switzer :lolol:

And my point about Burns is if somebody wants him but they wait for him to be cut, someone else can put in a claim for him before they can. Or do I have that wrong?

One mans garbage is another mans treasure, I’ve learned never to underestimate an NFL GM. They won’t get a 3rd but I feel anything after that is possible.

I agree with Elvis though that it would likely come late in camp due to an injury if it happens at all.

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Could Burns be serviceable on another team if he got a fresh start? He is done in Pittsburgh, it’s only a matter of when they trade or release him now. I’d really like to see him succeed somewhere though. Sometimes that’s all a player needs, Eric Ebron last year for example balled out in Indianapolis after being labelled a bust in Detroit.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Ben being under contract until Rudolph’s rookie deal is up. Odds are Ben will miss a few games at some stage in the next two years (I hope he doesn’t) and we’ll get a look at Rudolph, that’s assuming he beats out Dobbs. They extended Ben for three years but would anybody be shocked if he walked away after two? I’d worry about developing Rudolph and seeing if he is any good, all the contract stuff will work itself out if he is.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I know Mallets 4 attempts as a patriot makes him so much more experienced that Mason......:facepalm:

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't know about that let's not forget Dobbs had a pretty good preseason last year and has 2 years under his belt. I feel Mason is a better QB but Dobbs has the experience we need in a back up QB on a team ready to win now. jmo

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They like switzer. They like eli. Switzerland had shoulder surgery. Eli is still probably somewhat rehabbing the knee. Both have good hands. Both can move the chains. Both can return punts. Spencer can do all that and fly. He brings a dimension that those two dont. I won't rule out griffey or tevin Jones either.then there is holton and his speed with some experience. This will be quite interesting. How much clout will the draft picks have over these guys?

As for artie, I think he stays.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

+ 3 seasons. It was a stupid trade idea by a guy trying to fill the offseason.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Here is the thing about that though, people seem to give more weight to how prepared guys being traded or cast off by the Patriots than they do for the Steelers. Whether the perception of how good their QB's are is accurate or myth teams buy into it. Whereas guys the Steelers think have value seldom get snapped right up when they are cut.

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    After last season I'm not sure that Dobbs having another good preseason is a sure ticket to being the backup. I thought Jones hands down had that locked up and Tomlin threw a curve ball. Who knows what will happen.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Simpler then that Thorn. Mallet had 3 seasons in the league before being traded, two of them as 2nd string QB. Mason has one season as 3rd string, he plays on the scout team, doesn't even practice with the #1's and has never dressed for a game.

Mallet fetched a 6th rd pick. Nobody is giving anything up for Mason and if they do, it would be a 7th. Steelers had a first rd grade on him and drafted him with the hope he will succeed Ben. Why the hell would they give him up for a 7th rd pick. Makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mason goes nowhere. Matakevich, eli, switzer, now those 3 could fetch a late rd. pick it we want anything. Just not enough room at the inn for everyone.:cool:

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well that's your opinion

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I guess you lost me when you said after last season, why is that? As for Jones I think Dobbs progression and the fact he was at least half the cost had a lot to do with Jones being let go. jmo

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Check again grasshopper Mallett had 1 season and 4 attempts coming right out of college......

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    A 3rd round pick for Burns? :roflmao:

Yea were waiting for Alvin to finally put it all together :facepalm: Year 5. A 9.2 mistake hoping Ola takes his spot, Colbert just trying to save face but will have to face the egging after the season for the waste of giving this underachiever that kind of money.

Rudolph will be the #2. Dobbs :lolol:

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    We had those long discussions last season about Jones being a solid backup whose salary wasn't really that big of an issue vs young Dobbs who was certainly cheaper but not as experienced. The didn't really play Jones at all and gave every opportunity to Dobbs to showcase his abilities. the good bet for many of us was Jones is number two based on what Tomlin typically does and Dobbs was a hard choice to trade cut or keep at the cost of a roster spot somewhere else. They kept Dobbs which was shocking. I'm betting that this year they use Dobbs sparingly and give MR a chance to show his improvement from year 1 to 2. So its possible just like last season even though Dobbs is a year ahead and more polished he could get jumped on the depth chart based on his playing time vs MR

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh yeah of course it is possible I just think with us being a win now team Dobbs stays. Both Dobbs and MR are not making a lot of money so that part won't come into play. If the Steelers feel MR is our QB of the future than I can see him jumping Dobbs for the #2 spot. jmo

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If Mason cannot beat out Dobbs for the #2 then he has no business replacing Ben imo. He should secure the #2 this year & start pushing Ben as the starter after that. If not then he is not who the Steelers thought he was, a first round talent. I haven't seen ANYTHING that Dobbs has done that would have me cheering his entrance into a game, have you?

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Drafted in 2011 and traded in 2014.

2011 3rd string
    2012 2nd string
    2013 2nd string

2014 traded to Texans for 6th rd pick.

I believe you are correct about pass attempts though.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well you know as well as I do that experience means a lot. Look Landry made a career out of the back up role cause he knew the system. What chance has MR been given and you want to hand the keys over to him if Ben goes down? All I am saying is just cause Dobbs may be the #2 don't have a reflection on the future of MR. I hope he has a good preseason and shows his stuff but if the coach wants the experienced guy you can't blame MR, right? As for Dobbs he had a nice preseason and I do remember one big play during the season so if he is the #2 I am fine with that but I agree I would like to see MR as #2.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah the site I was on showed just years he had passing stats, but we are going back and forth over minor details. Yes drafted in 2011 didn't throw a pass, threw 4 passes in 2012 and 0 in 2013. So in 3 years with this team he threw 4 passes and was traded for a 7th that turned into a 6th. The Cheats get a 6th for a guy who threw 4 passes in 3 years thats pretty damn good imo, and not far off what MR brings to the table. jmo

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    No, I am saying that if Mason doesn't have what it takes to secure the #2 this year, he won't be the replacement that we hope he will be. If that's the case, I'm with you on trading him.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    A couple things if someone is giving us a 3rd or 4th rounder for MR I am in I would even consider a 5th......nobody is gonna do that but you never know. I am going along with what was written here in this article, I am not saying I want to trade MR. Another thing is this Ben signed a 2 year extension which puts us into MR's last year of his contract. So if we think MR is the answer then we have to pay him but we really won't know what he is. If you draft your replacement you will have a much cheaper/cap friendly deal. Like what the Seahawks had with Wilson, or the Eagles did with Wentz, Rams and Geoff, Dak and the Cowboys. This is how teams can work the salary cap and stay competitive.