1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ready for normalcy after crazy few years

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 17, 2019.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm hoping for a clash of attitudes and the nonsense coaching hire to ruin their season season and that's all I got because that team has gotten better and has been getting better for the last little bit. I know they're the stains and it's been a grand O'l time owning em but they are a rising team and gained that by getting that QB. I don't see him having a sophomore slump. I hope he does but I don't see it. Now maybe he says stuff that riles the kids in the room as has recently been reported amongst the verbiage involving his opinion on their RB having hurt feelers but as we've seen here, someone acting like a punk still rallies supporters and causes a divide. I'm thinking their QB might be like ours in the sense that he may make a good point on things and then talk a little too much and get himself strung up by a group of folks playing their preferred game of shenanigans and cause them some drama as well.

Long story short, they have all the ingredients to implode rapidly and in that spirit, have all of the same ingredients to wreck house. I've always said you never take a division rivalry for granted regardless. More so now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Classic :lolol:

3. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Yep, it's not like we won anything with Brown & Bell. So getting rid of the drama queens is actually good for Steeler nation & maybe we can get back to being a cohesive team again...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    yep for sure it was Bountygate, but I can't help thinking he would of been better than we had at DC. Everywhere he has been he has had a good defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They could be very good. As I said in my comment though, once the success starts the egos could get in the way and things get said. Baker has already stepped on some toes with comments about a disgruntled rb. Things tend to snowball as we know. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This past year kind of felt like the '77 and '94 seasons with disgruntled players and distractions. Both of those periods worked out pretty well so here's hoping for the same in 2019.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    John Clayton
    June 19

The Steelers are less talented on offense, but they left workouts as a closer team.

Clearly, an offense that lost one of the NFL’s best running backs in Le’Veon Bell and a 100-catch wide receiver in Antonio Brown runs the risk of taking a step back. But Pittsburgh players seem to think the offense will be just fine after Bell departed for the New York Jets in free agency and Brown was dealt to the Oakland Raiders following his trade demand.

Guard David DeCastro said the Steelers are more team oriented, while quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he thinks the offense still can score between 27 and 30 points per game. JuJu Smith-Schuster is a star wide receiver in his own right, and the Steelers have been one of the best teams in football at drafting and developing young wideouts. At running back, James Conner went to the Pro Bowl after taking over when Bell sat out last season.

Roethlisberger added that it was nice to get back to some normalcy after a few crazy years. If the Steelers are looking for a model of what a refreshed locker room can do for a team, the 2018 Seattle Seahawks provide an example. After dismantling the Legion of Boom secondary — including cornerback Richard Sherman, who had lost faith in quarterback Russell Wilson — the team made the playoffs with a less talented roster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I absolutely believe this offense will be better. Bell has been gone a year and his production has already been replaced so there was no need to mention him in the article.

Ben will spread the ball around more without Antonio "hissy fit" Brown, which I believe is when the offense is at its best. Like the Tampa game last year.

JuJu will prove the doubters wrong, he's a stud with his best years ahead of him.

I'd say my biggest concern for offense is TE, if Vance goes down, could be in trouble. I'm hoping someone gets released that they can bring in or make a trade for one.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I think grimble can do it. They are not really looking for a bit name signing at te. We don't have the money for one and who they have shown interest in are not much different than grimble. Nix has also been here long enough that he could help out in different ways. I'm waiting to see gentry and rader as well. We may be fine without an addition. JMO:cool:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Offense is not my concern. It is still the defense. Rather, it is still Keith Butler. This is it for him as I do not believe he was extended. There are other suspects too such as Bud Dupree but said player and others I will save the critique for another day.

Should he come up short, good riddance. Not sure who is next to take the mantle though. Perhaps a hire in house in Tom Bradley?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I wonder why the Browns let him go as well. He puts together a good defense that's for sure. Wade Phillips would be my top choice but Williams would be second. I only wonder if he is the defense's version of Haley because he bounces around a lot.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    you have a TON more belief in the TE room than I do :lolol:. If McDonald goes down and we have made no other additions, we are hosed at that position. They will compensate by more WRs on the field and have the loser of the Feiler-Okafor-Hawkins battle as the extra TE imo. Grimble is at best a 3rd. It would remind me of when the Steelers had to sign Ben Tate off the couch when the RB depth was nil

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    It seems to me Teryl Austin would be next in line for DC but that's jmo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And there is nothing out there right now, just Austin Seferian-Jenkins, thats Grimble basically.

While I think Grimble is a little better than he gets credit for, he's not a number 1 and Gentry is never going to be ready this year, if he pans out at all.

Hopefully Mac is right because it looks like this is what we are going into the season with.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yep waiver wire scraps it is for tonight's dinner. or we poach off another teams practice squad. And I agree the FAs out there are out there for a reason

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That's what I am saying, grimble is better than what is out there. We have rader as well. We also have something most teams dont, nix and samuels. Nix can knock the snot out of people. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Sure, Nix can block but he’s not going to threaten the defense downfield at all as a receiver. His presence on the field srcreams “blocker.” IMO Vance is the only TE on our roster who is complete. He can block in the run game and fly up the seam to challenge the opponents’ safeties. Complete TEs are valuable because the defense has to account for them as both receivers and blockers. Their presence on the field does not provide a reliable run/pass cue to the defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Jesse didn't either. Grimble can do both just not as good as the starter. Just like most positions. Adding a guy with less skills doesn't really help us, it's just a different body. We have two young guys for that.:cool:

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Jesse didn't either. Grimble can do both just not as good as the starter. Just like most positions. Adding a guy with less skills doesn't really help us, it's just a different body. We have two young guys for that.:cool:

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Grimble does both, but I think he does both at an inconsistent and subpar level for a #2 TE who is an injury away from being the #1. We’re very thin at the TE position.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That we don't know. Grimble has never been the number two guy but did get time in front of James because he blocked better. He has also made some good receptions and athletic plays. Maybe inconsistent but sub par doesn't really fit. Any starter should be better then the backup.:cool:

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He couldn't wrestle the #2 job from James. It's not going to be good if he's forced into the #1 roll.

I will be very surprised if after cut downs they don't bring someone else in. Assuming they are a better option obviously.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This right here, sorry as much as I want to believe Grimble could step up I am not willing to gamble on him being able to step in as our #1 guy. We all know the history with Vance and we all hold our breathe when he is down hoping he gets up. I want a guy I can feel a little more comfortable with just in case Vance goes down for more than a game. I am not saying Grimble can or can't do it but it isn't like he opened eyes while fighting for the #2 role. jmo

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We are so concerned about our number one going down that we blame the number two for not being a number one? Then get rid of the fragile number one. Grimble is still here and James wasn't even offered a contract. I'd say in the end he did wrestle it away from james. He also played over James at times because he was the better blocker. We don't have money for a starter and we won't find a starter to sit as a number two. If that was a concern they should have signed James back.Jesse couldn't wrestle away the position you guys expect grimble to hold down away either. The number two being number one capable. We are never as good with a backup starting, that's why they are backups. Who is this mystery backup that is starter capable that some team is going to cut?:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    What exactly are you disagreeing with ny?:cool: