1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Blues just won the Cup with no true superstar

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, Jun 16, 2019.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    It showed me that the Steelers can win without the prima donnas. Granted Binnington was incredible in the first period of game 7, but overall their team just kept attacking Boston in waves. The Blues do have a number of very good players, but I would say the Steelers have more top tier players. Can Tomlin lead? That is the question that will be answered this season. I hope he gets back to way he was coaching when he first arrived in Pittsburgh.

2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    No sport rewards hard work quite like hockey. Having said that, a marginal NHL talent (bluntly, a cement head) like Craig Berube, was able to get his team to "buy in" and play to their strengths. He was able to make them believe in a defense first style, and they finally got the goal tending they needed from a 26 year old rookie in Billington. Would Berube have been the right choice for a fast, skilled team like Tampa or Toronto? Hard to say. But, a great coach adjusts his style of play based on the talent he has at hand. Can Tomlin steer his team to more of a ball control offense now that it has lost two all world offensive players, or will Ben sling the rock all over the place, interceptions be damned? Can Tomlin/Butler turn what appears to be a speedy, young defense into a ball hawking, attack style group? Or will we cringe every time they have an offense in a third and fifteen yard plus hole? Obviously can't answer either of those questions yet, but hopefully it will be a much more fulfilling season for the team and it's fans minus all the drama of the last few years.

3. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Raptors won it with just one. Time for the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The Patriots won it without one, and an old Brady, it wasn't because Brady was throwing darts all over like he did in years past. Pats defense steps up huge and the playoffs I'm not sure how they do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He does get them playing their best when it matters.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The patriots are so awesome!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Awesome at beating the Steelers since 2001.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    While Slim Pickens, so to speak, Steelers do have a 1 game regular season win streak against Brady and it should be 2 but for Alberto Riveron's replay debacle(s). :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    That win streak will end week 1 in September. 0 for infinity at Foxboro during the Brady/Belichick era. Matt Cassel game in '08 don't count.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah but not if you consider Week 1, the 5th Pre-Season Game. :rolleyes:

13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ummm Tarasenko? He was on the cover of NHL 17. Mr Big Chest would say that qualifies as a superstar. Hockey is just different. They had a solid team. They also did it with an interim head coach so that kind of discredits your Tomlin bash. They also had like 3 ex Pens players. Pens won 2 Championships after switching coaches mid season. Hockey is just different. Easy to get a new voice and change tactics. Too much involved in NFL. Playbooks, coaching staff, etc.

14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Pens have had more success because they have a GM that understands they have their core. Has no issue trading players outside of it or picks including 1st to get players to win now! While the Steelers have some stupid no trading 1st policy. Losing two superstars and 1st to move up 10 spots was groundbreaking to them. Steelers are fine with being consistently good but not good enough.

Sidenote - I know trading in NFL and NHL is way different. But even look at the Patriots who have traded players and 1st round picks to get players to win now. Obviously working too.

15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Please show me where I bashed Tomlin. I asked can he lead? And I said I hope he gets back to coaching like when he first arrived in Pittsburgh.

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Defense can still win championships. We need one yesterday.

17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't think the issue is can he lead. I think all the players on the team now respect him and want to play for him. I know if I was playing, I'd want to play for a coach like Tomlin. The problem is he's going against a tactical wizard in Belicheat. His football IQ is very low. Doesn't know when to use timeouts, challenge, gameplan, etc.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol those seem like three things that a head coach should know. It's like saying with a new engine, tires, radiator, transmission this car would be like new. But by all means don't get rid of the car!

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There is a long article on Aaron Rodgers and Matt Lefluer on NFL.com and the struggle between getting a 10 yr vet to changes his ways and buy into a system that works. One paragraph had Rodgers talking to Vrabel who is friends with and coached with Lefluer and he asked what he is like. Detail oriented to the point he wants to be prepared for every eventuality ahead of time, ten steps ahead of time.

I wonder what that is like

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't think you can win in the NFL anymore without a good QB. If everyone else can do their job, the team can be really good.

21. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    It is very very unusual in hockey to win without any superstars.... Most hockey teams have several and a great goaltender......

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    We'll never know what that's like.