1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu will Flourish as the #1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    No, that's the message YOU perceive it sent.

Of course we're entitled to our opinions. Your problem is you openly state yours is right, and belittle anyone's that differs from yours. That's not productive discourse.

I have no problem with your opinions, or how passionately you believe them. It's your downgrading those who offer differing views as somehow inferior and wrong, while trumpeting yours as the only correct take, that I dont abide.

Productive discourse is based upon a stating of views based upon fact, sometimes belief, but in the latter one must assume a margin for error. I have strong beliefs on many subjects as well. In the absence of fact I have to allow I may be flat out wrong.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They caved. They gave Brown everything he wanted while significantly weakening their own roster. They gained no real cap savings for this season and got pennies on the dollar in return.

You, like many others, assume Brown wouldn't have played. You think he could have done what Bell did, but Brown is older and he was under contract a lot longer. He would have had to destroy the remains of his career.The Steelers had the leverage, just as they did last time Brown threatened to hold out. This time they lost their nerve.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't belittle any opinion that differs from mine, but I do belittle opinions that defy logic. You seem to be missing the difference.

How could it not send that very message? Brown threw a tantrum and got everything he wanted. By the end of the process, it was clear all the other issues he tossed out there were meaningless. All Brown wanted was a new contract and he knew there was no way he would get it in Pittsburgh. A player was unhappy with his contract, threw a tantrum and got his way. How does that not send the message that future players can do the same thing?

The Steelers' problem is they seem to buy into their own hype, that they are somehow superior to most of the rest of the league. That sometimes leads the team to make questionable decisions driven at least in part by a desire to protect the organization's reputation at the expense of the team on the field. That is what happened with Brown.

4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    They handled the situation appropriately. Disgruntled head cases are capable of anything. Disgruntled head cases are not good to keep on the team.

Who knows what Brown would had done? Odds are that he wouldn't had done anything that was good for the team.

Brown made a lot of money up to this point of his career. Obviously, Brown had leverage. Other players that held out or were disgruntled had leverage. People that don't believe players have leverage haven't been paying attention.

They didn't lose their nerve. The had a problem that could not longer be managed. They wanted that problem to go away. They paid a steep price but at least they received something in return. It's really that simple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Is the dog a red Doberman Pinscher?;+)

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Roethlisberger wasn't going to let the public know how he felt, I'm sure he was hurt being backstabbed by AB.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :bscow:[QUOTE="Formerscribe, post: 680190, member: 2299"]I don't belittle any opinion that differs from mine, [/QUOTE]
    You put out a lot of :bscow: but that is without a doubt the biggest pile.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Brown blew up every bridge in Pittsburgh and had to go. He is an unbelievable player and it is such a pity but there was no way they could keep him on the roster, he was done in Pitt.

Yes he was under contract and technically they could have called his bluff but this is not fantasy football, Steelers have to run a team at the end of the day and Brown was going to be a relentless pain the butt going forward if they didn’t trade him. I’m p**sed that they only got a third and a fifth but I’m glad he is gone at the same time. At least they can concentrate on football now.

I have a feeling the Steelers will be very good next season and won’t miss him as much as some people fear.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah and then he could have been a distraction the whole time, just like he was right after the season. I get what your saying but this isn't the 80's & 90's social media has give the player a way to become distractions.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What came out of OTAs is how much more focused they are. This has to be better than what we had.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not to mention this concern it sets a bad precedent is unfounded. AB isn't the first player to work his way off a team. I don't recall a wave of players suddenly doing the same thing.

I noticed that. They had to be embarrassed by all the negative attention they were receiving. They definitely seem determined to make this a more friendly team first attitude moving forward.

• Like Like x 2
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The funny thing that I've seen has been the local beat writers all rallied to Ben's defense but now as the dust is settling on the "culture " issue they have nothing to write about and are trying to stir up controversy.

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Or they had enough of Brown & decided to concentrate on their SB run with the players that want to be a part of it.

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Super Bowl run? Steelers need to 1. make the playoffs... and then 2. win a playoff game. Our last playoff win 3 years ago was less than spectacular at KC.... if Mahomes had been starting QB at the time, it would have been a loss. Boswell was the MVP of that game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Heinz, the Steelers are going to win the SB this year. I hope you pick them to win it when they get there.
    Glass half-full for me Heinz, you can have the pick pool championship, I'm currently SB bound until they screw it up.
    As long as Ben is slinging it, I like their chances every year.

18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Andy Reid winning a playoff game? I thought you were more grounded in your predictions Heinz.

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Sorry, but I'm not sold on the defense. There's too many weak links and inconsistency to be championship caliber at this point. Bush will improve the middle of the D and Nelson will upgrade the CB corps... but there's still issues at OLB and S.

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Well, Dupree is playing for a contract, there is that.

Hahahaha

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    AB had his winner card revoked.

Seriously, it's hard to call him a winner after his actions this past year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.