1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Burns be released?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Agreed, in 2017 the team avg PPG was 25.4, 26.8 last year. I am not looking up the exact stats for close games the last 2 years, but the difference was making those FG's in '17 and missing in '18. Also you could calculate possibly getting some calls or bounces in one year, and not the next. Yes you will have close games every year, the difference between most teams is not that great, and elements change week to week. That said, I still feel the turtle mentality we get when getting a lead leaves this team vulnerable far to often. I cannot remember the exact stat, but when Cowher was here the Steelers had an unbelievable record when they were up by 10 points and the Bus ran for 100 yards. This is a different NFL for sure, you just cannot go turtle for nearly a half of football. Last minute heroics are great when you win, but reveal you are very average when you come up on the short end

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You may be right but when we are clearly set at #1 and 2 and you drafted a guy and have Sutton and Hilton here, keeping a guy like Burns when we are so hard against the cap to be a 4 or 5 CB shouldn't come down to camp.

As for Sutton being a high pick he was a 3rd rounder and our track record on 3rd rounders other than Conner has not been all that great the last few years. Rudolph, Okorafor, Sutton, Conner, Hargrave, Coates and Archer since 2014. I would rather give Sutton a chance costing us less the a mil the next 2 years than to give Burns a chance at 3 mil and gone at the end of the year. There is no upside to Burns staying here, if he has an ok season he will cost more than 800k to re sign. jmo

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That is actually a pretty good track record of 3rd round picks. Add Johnson and layne this year and Bush since he cost one. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I'd have to look them up but I think it's their 4th rd picks that have left a lot to be desired.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That’s pretty much true of all teams. From Pro Football Reference, only 10.8% of 4th round picks are starters. Even UDFA are higher at 13.6 %. Interestingly, this is also higher than 3rd round picks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/amp/

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Interesting. I think we should package our 3rd and 4th rd picks to move up from now on and rely on our UDFA to fill those rounds. I think I'm onto something here!

• Like Like x 2
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

It's not bad it could be a ton worse but let's not act like a 3rd round pick is something great. That was my point to the last post when it was said Sutton was a high pick. I am not knocking the picks just pointing out what we have had in the past. :smiley1: