1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Durant injury is a perfect time to reflect on Antonio Clown

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Jun 13, 2019.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You think the Steelers have never let a player stay on the field with a concussion? You're funny.

Also, concussions are relatively easy to diagnose. It can usually be done right there on the sideline, though they usually need more testing in the locker room for confirmation.

I assume you are mixing up CTE and concussions. It is CTE that doctors have not been able to diagnose in patients until they are dead. Concussions and CTE are not the same thing. A concussion can be just a relatively minor brain injury.

Here is an explanation of CTE from the CTE Center at Boston University: "Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in people with a history of repetitive brain trauma (often athletes), including symptomatic concussions as well as asymptomatic subconcussive hits to the head that do not cause symptoms."

You brought up an incident involving a concussion, so yes, this thread is at least partially about concussions. Your claim that the Steelers somehow did something special for Brown by holding him out of a playoff game while he had a concussion is incorrect. It's the bare minimum any team should do when a player has a concussion. Allowing a player with a brain injury, even a relatively minor one, to take the field is incredibly dangerous. It can lead to second-impact syndrome, which brings a high risk of permanent brain damage or death. There have been deaths form it on lower levels and it also nearly killed Merril Hoge when he was with the Bears. Actually, it did lead to his heart stopping in the locker room, but doctors were able to resuscitate him.

I've written a good bit about this as a reporter and I learned a good bit more about the medical process when my nephew was treated for a concussion he suffered playing high school football. The situations you brought up in the first post were not comparable. That's MY point.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Whenever your in concussion protocol, there's nothing a team can do to get that player on the field unless he passes the concussion protocol within a certain amount of time. This is today's NFL. The NFL in the past, like during the Bradshaw days ...oh yea you can play them regardless of injury. IMO ...AB went Benedict Arnold on us ...he betrayed us all in the worst way possible ...I never ever wanna see him back ...unlike guys like Santonio Holmes or James Harrison, AB never produced a ring for us

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I already explained what I meant by this and you still ignored that and quoted this. You guys are idiots and love nitpicking everything I say. Since everything I say needs to be broken down and you don't understand what I'm getting at... What I meant by "at the very least used as a decoy" Is most teams would have done that at the very least and majority would have played him. I'm not saying the Steelers should have done this. My whole point is the Steelers did everything right by AB even things other organizations wouldn't do or other sports like looking out for his long term health. Yet, he still treated them like **** on his way out and sabotaged the return they got for him.

5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016

I'm sorry but you guys are extremely naive or drinking the NFL kool aid on their prevention for concussions. Did you watch the Seau documentary? Him and everyone knew he had a concussion and still played. That was just 10 years ago. Dragging a player to a special tent to perform the same test isn't no different. Players have said many times I knew had a concussion but I didn't tell them and passed the test because I wanted to get back out there.

ONCE AGAIN

I'm not saying AB should have played. Steelers did the right thing. But most teams wouldn't have stopped him from playing in a game of that magnitude for his long term health and sadly that's a fact. Especially a week after. Please tell me the last player that missed a huge game for a concussion?

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The foot stomping and “why is everybody picking on me” crowd seems to be growing in ranks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well to be fair you’re terrible at posting stuff that makes sense. If you would explain yourself better in your initial post you wouldn’t have these problems.
    Also It’s hard to take anything you say serious after all the bogus talk about the NFL being rigged and how you were boycotting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Once again, there is no comparison at all between a concussion and an Achilles tendon injury. I've said all along that the concussion protocol is flawed at best because teams aren't held accountable.

Also, 10 years is a long time in the diagnosis and treatment of concussions. You really don't know what you are talking about on this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think him blaming Carr makes a great deal more sense more then blaming Ben. Will see.. I am anxious to watch Raider games now which before I could not care less.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah 10 years! Look at the change in just 10 frigging years! Idk what TODS backwards is getting at but it's really this simple... We all know what they did we've all seen what they've done in regards to trying to evolve from past practices. No comparison between the 2 injuries whatsoever and no comparison between Seau and current protocol in the slightest. IMO some teams might still try to skirt it but in this day and age the secret won't be guarded long and the future law suit gonna have more impact than an overpaid athlete on available team resources (I know the 2 are not interwoven but still) without a doubt

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Does AB have enough sense to quit talking about the Steelers & focus on his current predicament?

12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, I kind of feel like the concussion thing is still impacting AB, or at the least, he acts like someone who has been concussed a few too many times!

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I really dont think he thinks about anything but himself and his arrogance keeps him from doing anything other then what he wants

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers keep things quiet, but by all accounts, AB has always had his demons. It's not concussion related, it's his personality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I know, I was being sarcastic.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure seemed to become exponential in the end?

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They do?

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They keep quiet the stuff we don’t hear about :huh:

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Good point.