1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu will Flourish as the #1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The report on the Bills was that it had less to do with the place and more to do with the money. Bills said they would tweak his contract to maybe give him a bit more but nothing huge since it was a good contract to absorb. His money had been paid upfront already and was locked in 3 years at a reasonable rate. Why would they change that. The Raiders are the ones that blew that fact up. Could have got him cheap but by caving to the more money demands before he'd agree to the trade they signaled that Brown can pout all he wants when he wants more money upfront and they will give in.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I was feeling the same way in the heat of the situation a few months ago. Now I’m more willing to wait and see whether there is an improved team chemistry that helps achieve as-good-as or better offensive performance without him. I think the team absolutely has less talent on offense as a result of his departure, so if the offensive performance is not materially worse it may stand to reason that cutting bait to the highest bidder was not a bad decision (at least in the context of the team’s makeup in 2019). We’ll see.

Of course, the precedent is still very troubling.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't mean that they had leverage on other teams. They had all the leverage they needed on Brown but chose to cave to the equivalent of a two-year-old screaming and stomping his feet to get his way. This wasn't the Bell situation. Brown is older than Bell was and he was signed for multiple seasons. The moment he started undermining their efforts to get fair value for him, they should have shut it down and called his bluff. He wasn't going to hold out all season. He had made noises about holding out before, only to show up and play.

Brown cares about money and attention. Sitting out the entire season wasn't going to get him either of those things.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What happened with the Bills was proof that all Brown's whining about Roethlisberger and how he was being treated was meaningless. He was acting like a jackass to try to force his way out of town because he wanted big guaranteed money and he knew the Steelers wouldn't give it to him. The Steelers caved. They let a player under contract manipulate them and got pennies on the dollar in value. The botched the situation horribly and I can only hope future Steelers don't see that as a blueprint for a way to handle things if they don't like their contracts.

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Yes I do. If they are more concerned with their personal gain over the team gain then they need to go imo.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Regardless of the reason AB still didn't want to go there leading to other teams not wanting to trade for him due to the headache he was causing which in return was not the Steelers fault and not something they could control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I get what your saying however the Steelers wanted the circus to end plain and simple. They didn't want this distraction leading into training camp and I agree with them, cut bait and move on. jmo

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You clearly don't like winning.

9. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Then they should not have signed the contract. Perhaps the problem is the CBA or the league's/team's unwillingness to hold the line on it. On one hand I think the players have a fair point when they ask for a bigger slice of the pie but a "contract" should mean something. I'm about to sell my house... i won't get to go back to the buyer a year or two from now and ask for more money. In a similar vein, teams/artists didn't traditionally get a cut from a ticket broker's reselling of a ticket (disclaimer: i used to work for StubHub). It's not quite that black and white in this case but there needs to be some mechanism that keeps players from "pretending" to commit to an agreement until something better comes along.... there have to be repercussions.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes, when the diva WR quits on the team, and trashes his QB.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Who cares if he trashes the quarterback? Roethlisberger sure seemed to be over it.

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Hahahaha. What has AB won? Better off without him, you'll change your tune after the season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The guy was the best receiver in the game for years and he was still among the elite last season. The Steelers are weaker offensively without him, they didn't get nearly enough for him and they showed that when push comes to shove, they won't hold a disgruntled player to his contract.

The only thing dumber that judging quarterbacks solely by team wins and losses is judging players at other positions that way.

You win in this game by amassing as much talent as possible and finding the way to best utilize that talent. You seem to forget the first part of that.

The Steelers were manipulated by a petulant child and you actually think that was a good thing. I'm actually kind of embarrassed for you lately.

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree with this post. I think the owners need to address the issue during the next contract agreement. Players that deserve more money should get it. Just have them give back the signing bonus when they want out. Don't give signing bonuses at all. The owners should and probably will have something in place before it gets out of hand.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Wrong again Scribe. I'll ask again, What has AB won? How much of his success comes from Ben throwing him the ball? (most of it)
    Your not fooling anybody with being embarrassed for me. Who thought ABs treatment of the team that was responsible for his success is a good thing? You should stick to the facts Scribe, your bunched up panties are showing.

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think it matters because it showed his real motivation. This isn't the NHL with no trade clauses in the contracts or check with me before you trade me clauses. The Steelers were well within their rights to take the best deal they could get for them after he requested the trade. If he refused to show up in Buffalo and torpedoed the deal based on wanting more money and not getting it he was in breach of contract and this is where I think the Steelers caved. They should have used the CBA, his signed contract and the law to back their trade or recoup money but I don't think they wanted a legal battle or the continued bad press Brown was generating and just took the easiest route to ending it. Basically brokering a deal with the Raiders and getting fleeced while giving the jackhole his way.

17. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with your initial point here but i'm not sure the steelers had as much leverage as you are suggesting. Buffalo would probably never have agreed to the deal in the first place if things didn't appear to be aligning with AB. I'm no lawyer but it's probably a lot harder to sue for damages against a *possible* agreement than it is against an *actual* agreement. Buffalo didn't want to be stuck with a "dead" roster spot any more than the steelers did. My guess is the steelers took a bath, in part, so they could run the team with a 53 man roster rather than a 52 man roster.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The Steelers can trade anyone for any reason as long as the player is under contract. Both they and the Bills negotiated in good faith with the Bills assuming Browns contract while swapping 1st round picks with the Steelers. Everything was going right along until Rosenhaus and Brown were told they could talk to the Bills about reworking the deal. Things fell apart at that point with neither Buffalo or Pittsburgh being at fault. Deals fall apart for injuries and money all the time. When I talk about legal options it is new territory, you have a player under contract refusing to do what the company is instructing. The Union, CBA and League have language covering these things but I'm sure the legal wrangling would have been a mess. The Steelers could have recouped some of the money they paid but would have ended up with yolk on their face. Again I think it was we want it to all go away, even if it meant losing to win.

19. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    For goodness sake, would you stop? All of your observations are opinion, not fact - despite what you may believe. Is it so difficult to fathom the Steelers sent a message that if (arguably) the best receiver in the game became a significant disruption to the overall chemistry of the team, they were going to excise him, no matter the cost? Perhaps they are looking at a longer term evaluation of the team? Could that be seen as a strength - disposing of a great talent, though locker room cancer, at little return - for the betterment of the organization going forward?

I dont know the precise answer to these questions, but neither do you. So let's stop acting like we have all the answers, shall we?

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Doesn’t that encourage bad behavior?

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good luck with that.

• Winner Winner x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :applaud:

If Belichick had done that, it would have been seen as a strength and showing no one is above the law.

Steelers do it and it means they got played :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it’s either in your character or it’s not, Jeh.

I have a hard time seeing Heath ever behaving in a way that goes against his nature just to finagle more money or just because he wants off a team.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please provide some other example of you thinking I'm wrong. I could use another laugh.

I'm not trying to fool anyone. You're embarrassing yourself. The "panties in a bunch" thing is just sexist drivel. It's not impressive. I'm not upset by you making a fool of yourself. It really is ridiculous to think you can judge a player by his team's wins and losses. You are actually dismissing the thing he was able to control, his own production, while putting way too much weight on the thing that was beyond his control.

I can at least try to educate you, but I doubt it will work. The simplest point is that Roethlisberger has been an elite quarterback for a long time, but no receiver has produced like Brown. Do you not realize he was the best player in the game at his position for years?

But you wanted to talk about facts. Please, present the factual evidence for your claim that Roethlisberger was responsible for most of Brown's success even though no receiver playing with Roethlisberger ever had that much success in the past. This should be good for another laugh, too.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The message they sent was that if a player is unhappy with his contract, all he has to do is make an ass himself for a month or two and demand a trade and the team will cave.

I state my points with conviction. You are entitled to disagree, but I certainly don't have to accept your opinion as correct and I'm going to point it out when somebody offers an opinion that makes no sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.