1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu will Flourish as the #1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was just looking at the numbers for the Pats games in 16 and 17 and the thing that jumps out was with a list of scrubs in the game in 16 Brown went over a hundred yards receiving and when he was hurt in AFCCG after getting 77 yards they spread the ball around to those scrubs for some nice totals. In 17 Brown had a quiet game and Juju had the hundred yard game no doubt helped by that monster completion and run at the end of the game that he nearly scored on. So with no one really good AB was all over the Pats but Juju's rookie year Brown doesn't have to do it all and wasn't targeted despite of coverage as the year before.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If this statement is correct, then using the Bengals game as an argument is misleading.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Now go back and look at what I wrote above. This started with somebody wanting to dismiss that game as an outlier, but failing to acknowledge that the same was true of his monster game against the Browns a year earlier. In truth, we really haven't seen enough of Smith-Schuster without Brown to be sure what he will be under those circumstances. Most importantly, we don't know what the team will get from most of the other wide receiver candidates, who are going to have to step up and make opponents pay when they focus on Smith-Schuster.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That's the thing that has to change. It's not about just the wide receivers this year. It's got to be about 5-6 guys getting 400- 700 yards to make this work. :cool:

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I just wrote that other receivers have to make defenses pay for putting too much focus on Smith-Schuster. That doesn't mean other guys don't catch the ball. Other guys caught the ball last year. The Steelers are likely to get less production from their tight ends with James gone, not more. Maybe they can get more from their backs, but the it remains true that receivers other than Smith-Schuster will have to step up this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think we all will be pleasantly surprised with Moncrief. I also think that JW has 50 catches this year. Just need to stay away from the injury bug with Vanimal & Moncrief.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The health of McDonald is going to be a key factor this season. They just don't have much behind him and the guy has always been troubled by injuries. With Brown and James gone, he has to take on a larger role this season.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    At least McDonald made it through the last 15 consecutive games. Maybe that’s a sign of hope.

With that said, I saw an injury projection website that has McDonald at 58% probability for 2019.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I certainly hope that was a step in the right direction. Maybe he has gotten better with his conditioning or maybe he just had back luck before last season. Or maybe he's going to break down again. If the latter happens, this team has a serious problem because Grimble is not good enough to be a starter and they don't have any other options ready to step in and play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    JuJu will beat press man. He's not a small receiver. I think that's what made him really good the last 2 years is his age and size were underestimated.

Can he find space in what they were doing to Brown is the question. He's got some good footwork, but he needs to hone it a bit more.

Brown also benefited by having Bryant on the other side for him as well. Say what you want about him. Teams had to respect his speed and size.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was watching a YouTube video of some fellows top 20 Steelers plays of his lifetime and while Brown featured in a few what was really nice to see is that when there wasn't a clear number 1 like AB, Ben made plays to all manner and skill level of players such as an Isaac Redman for a playoff win.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's really the key. When Ben starts forcing it because he thinks he needs a guy, things go wrong.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I just heard on the radio how Ju Ju is taking the lead in the OTA we meetings and how the receivers are all working together. Chemistry?

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The reason why Ju Ju will flourish will be because Ben won't be forcing the ball to him to appease the pressure of getting him the ball.

Ben can simply take what the defense gives him, and he has plenty of play makers to make that happen.

Ju Ju will still be primary but if it's not there then go somewhere else.

I have positive feelings about the new WR corp.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There seems to be a misconception on this board about Roethlisberger forcing the ball to Brown. It wasn't as if he was doing that when other guys were open all the time. Sometimes, he saw something quick and forced it, but just as often he did it because nobody else was open, either, and he figured Brown had a good shot at winning a fight for the ball.

Roethlisberger is still going to be forcing balls into coverage. The difference now is that he has only one receiver who has shown he can consistently make great catches and fight for the ball instead of two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well we'll find out. We no longer have AB.

I will attest that he did force balls to Brown at behest of attempting to appease temper tantrums and keep Brown happy.

I'm looking forward to less forced passes into double coverage. IMO. People forget Ben did well for many years before Brown even showed up on scene.

This team has a lot of nice weapons on offense.

I for one am looking forward to seeing more Vance McDonald stiff arms through the earth. :)

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    You have to be naive or misleading if you follow the Steelers & didn't think AB was crying for the ball. It's Bens fault again, lol.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Nobody disputed the idea that Brown cried for the ball, so you are arguing with a straw man. If you are going to argue, it would be much better if you argued against what other people actually post rather than just make up positions against which you argue.

19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes sir the hate will flow and that is fine. First off AB had 168 targets and Juju had 166 how can one say Ben forced the ball to AB and not Juju? Second when you have a playmaker you feed him, plain and simple. Third Ben is never wrong with some of these guys around here.........:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think it is more that Brown is never right according to some people. They just don't want to admit that the Brown trade was a mistake.

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Why would any respectable coach,owner keep a player that didn't want to be a part of the team? The Steelers didn't get fair compensation for Brown is the only mistake that can be argued. They were ready to move on with their SB run without Brown causing mayhem for the organization. The best choice for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with the first part but Brown had to go. The crap he pulled was just plain wrong and he hurt his value with the stuff he did. The whole situation was bad, jmo

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So you think it is fine to let players get out of their contracts whenever they feel like it. Got it.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They had all the control, but lacked the courage to call his bluff and the team is worse for it.

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not at all once AB started pulling his crap the team lost leverage. Prime example was the Bills trade he rejected, we were gonna swap 1st but AB said he wouldn't go there and the Bills said no trade. AB was the difference maker and after that not many teams wanted to deal, heck the Raiders had 3 first round picks and wouldn't trade one of them for AB. This has nothing to do with courage it has all to do with AB being a problem and not many wanting to take that on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.