1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Burns be released?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 4, 2019.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He had a great rookie season until the last 4 games in which he was beginning to show the flaws in his game. His second season wasn't good by any means, he was giving up long pass plays and TDs every game. We lead the league in giving up plays over 50 yards, 40 yards and 30 yards and most were because of him blowing coverage assignments or misreading routes. By his 3rd season it was clear that his play was just continuing to get worse as just about every QB would target him to the point he was benched.

Make no mistake, he did about zero since his rookie season. It also needs to be pointed out that he was a desperation pick, they needed a high pick at CB and they weren't able or willing to trade up to get one. So they took a projected late 3rd round DB and made him a first round pick and now they don't understand why he isn't playing well. Draft round doesn't always pan out but he didn't have the type of game film one would expect out of a player expected to be drafted in the 1st two rounds.

2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I don't know that he was projected "late 3rd round". Not saying there weren't some who put him there, but when I look around, it is more 2nd round / potentially 1st.

NFL.com - "Rounds 1 or 2"
    Mike Mayock - late 1st (mock draft pick 29)
    Niners Nation - round 2

One article projected that he needed time to develop good pro techniques, so throwing him immediately on the field would be the worst thing to do... So of course, that's what Lake and the Steelers did.

3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    We pretty much are in agreement except I do not recall a terrible 2nd year although he was the man opposite a newly acquired Joe Haden which meant he had more balls headed his way. Did they figure him out? maybe. We all know last year was terrible.

Still as the 4th CB on the roster, I don't see the benefit of releasing him unless he is demonstrating he's lost his ability entirely.

4. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You're giving him n extra year, this is his 4th season, not 5th. His second season he supposedly came out of camp looking very sharp, at least we were told that, and that was a 13-3 effort. The thing with that was we faced a plethora of back up QBs and still lead the league in giving up the most pass plays over 30, 40, and 50 yards and it wasn't close.

This was against a majority of journeymen and backup QBs and if not for Haden his 2nd season would have been much worse. Against teams with good QBs Haden was in man coverage most of the time while Artie had safety help over top and LB help underneath. When I saw that I knew right then that his days were numbered. I believe I predicted that he wouldn't get a 5th year option only 4 games into the second season for which I got roasted.

I wish Burns would have panned out, if he did the Steelers would have one of, if not the most, formidable pass defense in the league. I don't root against him but if you look at his play without black and gold colored glasses on, it is easy to see he isn't even serviceable as an NFL CB. Perhaps a change to safety would be better for him but I don't think he has enough smarts to learn a new position given how hard it seems for him to grasp zone coverage schemes.

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I thought he gave up last year. Don't need that attitude even as a 4th CB. I hope he looks at differently this year if he stays.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well if he's given up, then it's up to the coaches to see that and act accordingly. Tomlin has already called him out publicly. So if his performance is terrible, i don't expect to see him on the roster.

I still have some hope that he can contribute in some way, but we'll see

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Not sure where you calculated the extra year. I'm well aware this is his 4th year with the Steelers not exercising the 5th year option for him.

i'm not defending Burns really in any way except to say unless he's completely bottomed out he could work as a 4th CB at 800k salary for another year. If he shows he just doesn't have it at all then release him.

He did have 3 ints in his first year as a rookie staring CB and played fairly well against starters in that year. So there was at least something in him to show he could play against competition at this level, but like I stated it's up to the coaches now to figure that out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    There are 1.757 million benifits to cutting him if he is going to be our 4th DB. Sutton @ 861K imo is a better option and Hilton @ 645K is as well. On a team with just over a mil in cap space cutting Burns and freeing up a mil is well worth it. It's not like he is going to push Haden or Nelson for playing time and let's not forget all the hype on Layne.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The cap savings are only part of it. I also wonder how many cornerbacks they are going to keep. I'm assuming the five guys you mentioned are locks. Of course they bring him to camp, but there is plenty of reason to cut Burns before the season starts.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It's the most important part to me, if the guy isn't going to contribute and he will be lucky to be the 4th DB than he needs to not eat up 3 mil of cap space, jmo. :smiley1:

11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Let's give Artie a chance before we make him the 4th CB or send him on to his life's work.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Ok so what do you want to do bench Haden or Nelson??????? Not gonna happen at best he could be a 3rd CB, at best and we haven't seen evidence of that the last 2 years. There is a lot of hype on Layne and I like Hilton and Sutton, cut his a$$ and move on. Take the 1.757 mil savings and put it to use since we are in cap hell.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That makes a lot of sense. I don't think Sutton is anything special, but I'd trust him more than Burns at this point. Layne hasn't played a down in the league yet, but I'd still feel better with him out there over Burns.

Burns is a long touchdown pass for the opponent waiting to happen every time he steps on the field. Even if he somehow gets his head right, he is still very limited.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Burns is not even bad, he is straight horrific. like top 5 worst CB on the field lol

just looks like he is regressing and won't recover. There is no "I hope I am wrong", because I surely think he is done. And such with life we move on, we set the sails on our voyage respectively, and must continue forward to overcome the travesties and obstacles laid upon us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree if he can't at least be the #3 CB he is too expensive to ride the pine at #4. I was thinking let's see what he can do this year before writing him off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Or better yet let's wait until camp is under way and preseason to see who stays healthy. Every year some DB is dinged up the first week and nurses the injury through August.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    After what we saw from him last season, I think we may be better off grabbing someone else’s camp cut.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Could be. I'm more of the devil you know type at this point.

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This is how I feel at this point in time, when we are talking the #4 CB he isn't going to see the field to often and if he does we have problems. jmo

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is a good point, also the best reason for keeping Burns for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Another devil we know is Coty Sensabaugh, who remains unemployed. He was generally adequate for us when pressed into starting. He was vastly superior to Burns. I’d rather have him than Burns heading into camp.

22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Nooooo. Please God nooooo. Burns needs to hone his 'A' game or hit the road. We should have someone better than Sensabaugh on the squad this year. ( fingers crossed)

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    We do. We added Nelson, and there’s the chance that Layne will develop quickly enough to be our backup outside corner at some point this season. That makes Sensabaugh the 3rd or 4th outside corner. Last year he was the clear #2, and got 71% of the snaps. Burns started vs New England and played 3 snaps. Sensabaugh played the rest, and we gave up 3 points with Sensabaugh on the field. He’s not a guy that you want as one of your starters, but he is a capable backup corner. Underrated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm surprised he hasn't found another team yet.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Shows how bad we were at CB last year when our #2 can’t find a job.

• Agree Agree x 3