1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Things we could learn from "soccer"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Jun 2, 2019.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Just being honest. Stadium is half filled because idiots don't make up early enough/take into account traffic and getting into the stadium or just don't care. I don't know. It's pretty boring until the 4th if it's close/Steelers winning.

2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    A bad day watching football is better than a good day watching soccer, LOL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    "I was the same way growing up until I stopped being ignorant. Then I finally attended a game and it was the most electric sporting event I've ever been to and I've been to Steelers and Pens playoff games and lots of big games. This is boring? Boring is a Steelers game at 1pm".

Why don't you just boycott it then?:hmm:

Oh' wait.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersUK

SteelersUK Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    As a English ‘soccer’ fan who is a season ticket holder and goes every week I though I’d chip in on this

Away fans over here are segregated and kept all together which certainly helps with creating atmosphere.

However the reason this happens is due to years and years of idiots misbehaving and fighting amongst each other, ruining it for the average supporter.

At rugby matches, both sets of fans are mixed together and can enjoy the game with a beer in their seats and there is still a top atmosphere, without the tribal mentality which causes violence and hatred at football.

We also have ‘bubble matches’ where away fans can only travel by official club provided coaches if they have a ticket to the match, under police instructions. Theses games tend to be local rivalries with history of problems and start early (11.30am for example) to stop alcohol taking its effect on the idiots, as pubs and bars won’t be open prior to the game.

You get treated like a criminal by police and security if travelling away which can leave you with a bad feeling on what should have been a good day out!

As ever, the few ruin it for the majority.

All that being said, just like with the Steelers, your love for the team remains the same and when you win you realise you wouldn’t change it for the world, even if the culture associated is dated.

I’ve been to Heinz Field a few times too btw and all I can say is as for match day experience, it’s an awesome experience!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    how to be hooligans? sorry soccer - we already have philly quarter and iceball throwers.

[​IMG]

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Of course ticket allocation and separated sections helps. Some NFL teams can barely sell out let alone have 20k fans travel for an away game, That's a whole other issue with out pricing real fans where they don't play that in Europe. Steelers are as close as your going to get in American sports to that passion you get from European football teams. We easily have 20-30k away fans depending on the location. All I was saying is with a little structure away fans could be a force that could help the team. But they rather focus on stuff I said in the heat of the moment and turn it into that.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I don’t understand why the op is worried about any nfl games. He threw in the towel years ago because it’s rigged.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Where did you pull that number from???

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm saying at games and my ass. But no, sometimes it's 50/50 Steelers fans or 30 or 40. You see other teams reporters tweeting it all the times 30-40% Steelers fans here.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If the NFL is rigged like you have said numerous times in the past why does it matter how many fans are at a game? No matter how much noise they make they wouldn’t have any influence on the outcome of the game since it’s rigged anyway?

Your post in this thread is just further proof you really don’t believe the NFL is rigged.

I do somewhat agree with you though. Steelers fans at away games don’t seem to know when to be quiet. Sometimes I think they’re just trying to out cheer the home team fans and don’t really realize that they’re not helping.
    I also somewhat agree with you on Steelers fans at home games. It is a bit embarrassing when at kick off the stadium is 25% or more empty. Unfortunately there isn’t much you can do about this.
    A good number of Steelers fans are spoiled. The best thing the Steelers can do is give the fans a reason to have their ass in those seats at kick off either by putting a better product on the field or some clever giveaways to entice fans to be in the stadium earlier.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How would we have soccer mom's without it?:hehehe::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The NFL has made the kickoff worth missing, among other things.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The NFL isn't moving the Super Bowl to accommodate victory parades. The league has its own events before the game and it likes those things exactly where they are.

Also, the use of big game instead of Super Bowl is an advertising thing used when companies want to reference the game, but they don't want to pay for the right to use the words Super Bowl.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please just stop. This is the worst thing soccer fans do, insulting anybody who doesn't like the sport by saying it is out of ignorance. I've watched plenty of soccer at all levels. I've covered it, too. I understand what I'm watching. I appreciate the skill involved, but I don't find it particularly interesting to watch. That isn't ignorance. That is preference.

What you are talking about is the bells and whistles around the games, particularly fan antics. The sport lends itself to such things because there is less happening in the actual games.

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We finally agree on something besides Harrison.

It's not about the parade. It's about the fans. You know how many times I've heard I'd do something for the game but work tomorrow or I'd go to the parade but it's middle of the week. That's what the NFL doesn't get and soccer does right. It doesn't screw over their fans. All the issues listed above by Glenn are because the NFL has outpriced real fans. I could get a premier league soccer ticket a few rows back for 10-15 quid. I'm giving more to Ticketmaster in their fees than my actual ticket to sit in the nosebleeds at Heinz Field.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Any reason you’re avoiding the NFL is rigged and the boycotting?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s official, after 39 posts, there is nothing that I can learn from soccer.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Soccer was a girls sport when I was growing up.

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You pay for soccer tickets with squid? I'm out of touch with that sport.

21. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I love playing soccer.... and have done so for 30+ years..... but it's hard to watch. Games are any day of the week, like hockey or baseball..... but it drives me insane to see players fake injuries. I play in adult rec league and we have tougher players that don't go down when the wind blows..... regardless of which team I root for..... I hate the theatrics in soccer/futball. That said, I'll try to watch some of the Women's World Cup which starts next week.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It was always a sport for both, but do you mean to suggest that a sport played by women must be somehow lesser?

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Women's soccer was the closest I came to getting into the sport. 1999 World Cup was great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    No, I am not degrading soccer, that's your thought. Just saying that when & where I grew up (Indiana), they had soccer leagues for girls & football leagues for the boys.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It helps that the U.S. women have been a hell of a lot better than the men.

I wish I had learned to appreciate the sport in high school. I'm fairly certain I saw Mia Hamm play in a high school game. I remember seeing her team and she and I are the same age, but I really didn't know much about the sport so I didn't fully appreciate getting to see that level of player.