1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Washington can he be the #2 WR?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 9, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It came about in an interview with Peter King and Aditi Kinkhabwala when she asked what makes AB great? She said he doesn't run great routes, he's not very fast, not big so why is he so great. It's a fair question. Why the heck has he been so good? She's always been a little hard on him though so I'm going to say his route running is much better than she is giving him credit for. So ok, he runs great routes, he's still not very fast and still not big. I think it's fair to say that Ben has played a much bigger part of his success than people want to give him credit for.

We're going to find out. Carr isn't Ben but he's not a scrub either. AB should still put up at least 1200 yards with him. Coopers best season with Carr was 85 rec for 1164 yards and 5 TD's, surely AB can do better than Cooper :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He runs better routes and he is faster than she gave him credit for in those comments. I always thought it was quickness in making his breaks was what set Brown apart.

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Brown is one of if not the best hand checker (using his hands against the defender) in the league.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes that and his footwork allows him to separate. Which are a couple of reasons why he requires a double team.
    AB may not be the biggest,fastest,strongest etc....whatever you wanna say he is not it doesn’t matter because he is still the best WR in the game. Having a great QB throwing you the ball surely helps....just like it’s helped every single great WR before him.....obviously.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Probably it. Just has that ability to create separation. More quick than fast.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hope so, that would of course be huge for this team. I know it's just one teammate talking up his other teammates but he does have a reputation for having an eye for talent.

He had some encouraging words for DJ too.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/r...ng-forward-to-seeing-more-of-diontae-johnson/

Part that caught my eye the most though is Ben has taken a shine to him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Now this is just hilarious, all of a sudden we want to put Carr as some kind of good QB so we can say AB stinks???? Your hatred for AB is making you blind, Carr has had one winning record in his 5 year career. And Coopers 1153 yard season came in 2016 the last 2 seasons Carr hasn't had a receiver go over 700 yds.

I don't care what AB does I am more concerned with what happens here. Like I said in other posts this isn't about Juju and Ben vs AB and Carr, this is can Juju put the numbers up that AB did as a #1. He has done a great job putting up numbers as a #2 but now it is a different situation. The same can be said for the #2 and 3 guys here who ever it will be. JW and/or Moncrief they need to step up and fill Juju's shoes. jmo

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well I hooked one of the fishies, the other one said....

[​IMG]

...and swam away :lolol:

However it's laughable that you think 1200 yards is out of reach for the great stupendous unbelievable Antonio Brown.

Carr didn't have anyone to throw to last year and plagued by injuries the year before. When he was healthy, Cooper went over 1,000 yards twice, is 1,000 out of reach for AB? I mean holy crap if you think AB will drop below that then might as well admit Ben made him now and avoid the wait.

Larry Fitzgerald has gone over 1,000 every year with Carson Palmer throwing him the ball. Carr is on the same level. No excuse for AB to not to put up good numbers. He's not going to have 1800 yard seasons like he did with Ben, or even 1600 or even 1500 but he's not the receiver you think he is if he doesn't hit 1,000.

Oh and I don't hate AB, thats a strong word, I dislike him. Hate what he did to the team, I dislike the man. If you are going to throw that silly crap at me every time you respond, at least represent me accurately.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Well if that is why you come here to "hook the fishies" then i am glad to help you with that I guess. As for laughable holy cow your obsession with AB is just that. Dude we get it you DISLIKE him and you HATE what he did to the team we all do but man move on. I can care less what numbers he puts up 1800 1500 1200 1000 500 yards I don't care as long as Juju puts up the numbers AB did when he was number one and JW and/or Moncrief put up the numbers Juju did as a #2.......but most of all we win games. PERIOD, winning is the bottom line not stats and not what other people do for other teams. I better stop now cause I am spulling silly crap and that must only be good for some and not others...........whatever.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your image isn't loading, so I'm not quite sure how that one was meant.

Carr had Cooper for much of last season and didn't do much, then Cooper suddenly became good again once he had somebody other than Carr throwing to him. Just because the Steelers made Carr look good doesn't mean he is a good quarterback.

Brown should be fine out there even with Carr throwing to him, but declined a little last season.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I imagine you'd feel differently if you felt AB was to blame but of course, you put a lot of the blame or maybe all of it on the guy you don't like, Ben. Most fans however feel that AB pissed all over the Steelers. If AB fails in a Raiders uniform and the narrative becomes that he was only great because of Ben, thats entertainment for me, pure gold, I'll laugh my ass off. Why that bothers you I have no idea but it clearly does.

Cooper played 5 games basically, only took 12 snaps in the 6th game. Two of those 5 games he went over 100 yards. Last season was a disaster all around for Oakland though, not putting much stock into it.

The point is, there is no excuse for his numbers to drop off a cliff, even with Carr as you said.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh, and the gif was of Tom Hardy saying thats bait from Mad Max.

14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Seriously, the way people around here talk about Derek Carr, you'd think it'll be a miracle if he can go from sideline to huddle without tripping over himself. Carr threw 101TD passes the last 4 yrs without AB, Ben threw 112 with AB. Carr ain't Ben, but he ain't dog food. Baring injury, I expect AB to have reasonably big numbers this yr. 100 catches and 1300 yds wouldn't shock me. And those numbers would be line with what he did here the last 3 yrs.

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Carr's problem is that he is the perfect QB for the historic vertical passing game the Raiders used to be crazy for. Now with Gruden it's a west coast variant that involves lots of thinking and less gunslinging. If the oline had been a bit better the Lynch years would have been gold for that passing game. Suck the defense down into the box to stop Lynch then go deep to Cooper on one on one coverage with no safety help.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In my opinion the last thing they need to do is make Juju into Brown. Let Juju be juju and the stats will follow. Where they will miss Brown and I mean really miss is not the yards, the targets, the receptions, or the TD's, we'll maybe a little bit of the TD's but it is the circus catches that he and Ben created to keep drives alive. The 3rd and 28 yards after a sack and a holding call where Boney Tony toe tapped it at the sticks. That on the move throw where Ben finds AB and he just gets enough yards. That will be difficult to replace, the good thing is they don't need to if the improve the offensive efficiency. The most important thing isn't Juju stepping up as number 1 or Washington making a jump to 3rd or 2nd or how well Johnson does, it's whether Ben cam adjust to the group and stop needing those AB highlight catches he helped create.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Well using your saying before you throw the silly crap about who I like and dislike make sure you know who it is. I never said I liked or disliked Ben and for the record I don't dislike Ben but I am not gonna give him a pass on things either. Just cause I have pointed out Ben was not innocent in this has no bearing on my like or dislike. Dude I am a Steeler fan I root for 7 every game, but I am fair enough to not just blame one guy. You have fun laughing you ass off at AB if that helps you get through the day then so be it, I will still be here laughing at your dislike and obsession of him. Move on and worry about this season and not last. jmo

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not saying Juju should be AB I agree with you let Juju be Juju we don't want another AB problem, lol. What I am saying is Juju being the #1 guy putting up them numbers and JW or Moncrief being the 2 and 3 stepping up to get Juju like numbers. I also agree the connection Ben and Ab had when Ben extended the play will be what is gonna be hard to replace. jmo

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh I will, lots and lots and I know you will just love it too if Ben gets the credit for his success :taunt:

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bens already got the credit. Only one still confused is AB.

"Trade me and find out"
    Antonio really thought that one out.
    Smh

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    :facepalm:

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Those highlight-reel plays were part of the success of the offense. Adjusting to the loss of that kind of weapon isn't nearly as easy as "Roethlisberger needs to adjust." Those highlight-reel plays have been a big part of the offense much of Roethlisberger's career. He used to make them with Santonio Holmes, too.