1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Edmunds seem like an afterthought?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it wasn't his rookie year and he's he had some good moments.:cool:

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    31 other teams also didn't think Leonard was a first round pick :shrug:, I liked Leonard but taking him in round one might of been more a reach than Edmunds. Leonard was a 4.7 ILB from a smaller school, that also played a factor in his draft position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, you really didn't, but accuracy and honesty aren't your strong suits. :)

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Given how badly the team's inside linebackers struggled last year and how well he played, that seems very unlikely to be true.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Not even close. Leonard was higher on most draft rankings that were out there.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The point being that being second on the team in tackles doesn't necessarily mean Edmunds was good.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Some NFL guys were saying before the draft that Edmunds could go in the first round, I think Jason La Canfora tweeted that. I doubt anybody was saying that about Leonard :shrug:. Also the Colts run a 4/3 defense, so you're projecting Leonard would of been a All-Pro with the Steelers in a 3/4.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, people started throwing that out after the draft. He was a two or three before the draft. Leonard was a late first/early second.

I'm projecting he would be a better player than Edmunds because he is a better player than Edmunds and it isn't close.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He did play well. In the Colts system, with the Colts coaching, playing the Colts schedule against the Colts opponents. His play for the Colts earned him that honor. Everything else is speculation that can't be proven .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it doesn't mean he was bad either. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I for one threw that out there before the draft. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You really want to argue that an All-Pro isn't a better player than a guy who was only starting because the guy ahead of him got hurt? Really?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    No I'm saying you can't prove that a guy who won all pro honors with one team could do the same on another. Would he have played better than Fort and Bostic? More than likely but we will never know. Would he have been the starter or in heavy rotation in subpackages on the Steelers? The evidence is slanted towards no. Remember this is the coaching staff that kept Cam Thomas for two years and he was horrible. They started Bud and Chick over Harrison two years ago. They have a history of starting bad or average players despite what the guy behind them brings.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I doubt it. Thorn nailed it, the Steelers had their plan in place for the ilb's last year. Only way he sees significant playing time would be an injury to Bostic or Bince. On the other hand, Edmunds turned out to be the right pick as he was needed to start. Edmunds is a upgrade at safety, a much needed one.

15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    BTW your intial statement was that had the Steelers drafted him he would have been an all pro rookie for them. That is a much different topic than is he better than Bostic, the Hybrid Burnett, journey Fort or at his ceiling Dirty Red. He could have been the best player on the field for the Steelers if they put him on the field.

We can speculate all we want but the fact remains what he did , he did on the Colts on the Steelers we could be talking about why Tomlin isn't gIvins him a shot by year 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Wrong, some NFL guys tweeted about Edmunds before the draft could be a first round pick. Like I said earlier you're projecting a 4/3 ILB to be the same in a 3/4 defense. The Steelers were looking for a speedy ILB to replace Shazier, that wasn't Leonard coming into the draft. If you knew Leonard was going to be great, maybe you should've posted on here about him before the draft, which you didn't :facepalm:. Any fan can pimp a player after the fact.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The All-Pro honors slant the evidence toward yes. In the case of Bostic and Fort, you're talking about a couple of guys who weren't good enough to keep against an All-Pro.

Regarding the Harrison example, don't forget there were other issues his final season in Pittsburgh, though we never got a full revelation regarding what those were.

The larger point remains. Leonard was far more "amazing" as a rookie than Edmunds, to use another poster's adjective, and he is clearly the better player regardless of system.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Tomato Cam Thomas.....just when I had all but forgotten about him, you bust that one loose :lolol:

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Edmunds and Leonard both had 2-3rd grades on them. You can look this stuff up.

Walter football:

Mel Kiper on Leonard:

On Edmunds:

Either would have been seen as a reach at the time. Some even blasted the Colts for taking Leonard in the second. Colts were very high on him though and they were right. He was a prefect fit for their scheme, would he have been as successful here? With Butler? And the confusion about Tomlin having his hand in the pie as well? I don't have confidence saying Leonard would have had the season he did with the Colts as he would have had here but I'm sure he would have been a great player in time.

I think Edmunds is going to be very good, too. His first season is better than he is getting credit for. Clearly wasn't an All Pro season though but maybe this season, either way, I think he takes a big step this year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    It is not helping me. What am I doing wrong?

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Not fair to be judging Edmunds against Leonard’s first season imo. It’s rare that a player comes in and plays at an all pro level in their first season, Colts hit gold with that pick and while they clearly liked him I doubt even they thought he was that good. Edmunds could be a very good safety in the league, probably was drafted above his abilities but he is a second round talent at worst imo. It’s not up to him where he is drafted, let’s hope Austin can get the best out of him now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I understand Edmunds improved as the season went on but it wasn't by leaps and bounds. I don't think he'll become great although I hope I'm wrong, I see him being another Sean Davis. The one thing with Edmunds that stuck out was his pass coverage skills or lack of them. He isn't good in coverage and one of his passes defended could have been called a PI for face guarding as he never turned to look for the ball, something he seems to do a lot of.

I'm really hoping he surprises me in his sophomore season but I fear he will be another liability in the secondary. His play reading isn't good but I attribute that to him being a rookie so he gets a pass for that. I think he is going to be a Dupree type player, all the physical gifts and athleticism but poor instincts and general understanding of the game. Sean Davis 2.0, you'll see flashes when things line up right but overall underwhelming.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:applaud:

Could not have said it better myself. Then again, I have been stating much of what has been stated by others and the like since April 30th of 2018. Perhaps now, with an NFL Offseason under his belt, Terrell will be much better than his rookie season.

Kevin Colbert himself already stated Terrell had no business starting. To come in and play the way he did is nothing short of incredible to me given the fact he only played one season as a Strong Safety in college. To assume he will not get better because his stat line indicates an average rookie season intrigues me. He was much better in the second half of the season than in the first. He definitely will be better this season in my opinion.

When that happens, not if, expect the general consenus to change.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Keep in mind, I’ve found no practical application of these words in my social circle.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is absolutely fair. Both got the chance to start as rookies. Leonard earned All-Pro honors. Edmunds was average at best.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.