1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DJ getting reps on the outside

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 25, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is true to a point, but it's also often used as an excuse to cover for a bad pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tell them we'll give them D. Johnson for M. Evans & a draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They won't talk to me.:unsure:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I particularly liked this part:

:hehehe:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well if he lives up to the billing he could be a carbon copy of what AB was. According to the article his strengths are along the same lines AB was also good at. Separation, nice feet and good out of his breaks. Learning curve I’m sure but similar skill set to build on.....bringing some of the same things to the table should help our O stay consistent. Whether he reaches ABs level remains to be seen but it’s a nice foundation for sure

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    And we're back to the idea that any quarterback from a big school with lousy combine numbers can become Tom Brady.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The DJ pick, eventhough I thought was early, wasn't a dealbreaker for me. The TE pick in Gentry was by far the worst pick imo.

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Pittsburgh should have taken a TE earlier? Or is Gentry that bad? (I've never seen him play)

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    TE2 was a major need imo. I felt like they could have taken one earlier. Heck they could've have taken one later in the draft who was better than Gentry. It seems like they just pick the TEs who are 6'6" and taller, no matter the skill. I scouted the TEs a ton this offseason and I'm no pro scout but I didn't like any part of Gentry's game or movement skills.

But this is nothing new to the Steelers draft MO as of late. The 2017 draft was very deep with talented safeties and they didn't get a one. Then they get 2 in 2018 when the talent was less. ILB was a huge need in 2018. Not one taken. It just seems on the years that a position is deep with talent they avoid a position of need, then get one the next year. Or they just avoid the position entirely. So they're throwing FA band aids on it hoping for the best.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well.....Colbert said drafting for needs doesn’t win championships...or something along those lines ....well....except when you reach and draft for needs that is.:shrug:

12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Agreed but IMO it just shifts the blame from the scouts and FO to the coaching staff.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I saw Gentry on tv the other day. He’s built like a green bean. Mark Bruener was my neighbor long ago. When he was a rookie, he referred to himself as a 250 pound pipsqueak. He had more meat then than Gentry. Until he eats some potatoes, Gentry will be useless as a blocker.

A tight end who can’t block isn’t going to see playing time.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  16. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The Arians story does seem sort of weird. It's like if you showed up for a first date driving a rusted-out bomb, before she even comments on the car you might say something like "She might not look like much but she's got it where it counts." But the only reason you would say that is because you know that her perception might be that you maybe a mistake.

17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Tom Mead looked through the tapes, and focused on a Miami (FL) game where the DBs were playing press. (MAC teams didn't play a lot of press against DJ.) DJ was able to deal with press defense at the college level, unlike what some people believe.

Conclusion: "This is a small sample size but there is a lot to like from what I see. He understands how to manipulate defenders and get them to open up their hips and shows good hand usage to keep defenders hand off of him. This does not guarantee success vs NFL defensive backs but it’s good to see the foundation is there giving him something to build upon."

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good stuff, I've looked at a lot on him. Theres an hour and a half of film break down posted by someone here on the board as well.

That missed TD throw by the QB is exactly why his stats were down last season. He's going to be good.

I'd say his floor for his rookie season is 600 yards 5 TD's.