1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu will Flourish as the #1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016

I posted this elsewhere, but I figured it applies here as well. Big-time Steelers fan Snoop Dogg, who also knows JuJu Smith-Schuster very well, said it is going to take the latter a while to step into the No. 1 receiver job. Of course, if you disagree with him vehemently and think to ask what he was smoking, you already know the answer. :)

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I was reading that juju's regular season stats total 48 rec for 688 yds and 3 tds without brown in the lineup... Any truth to this or is it just a homer write up?

3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not arguing with your point of view, however I think this is assuming that AB would have willingly come back to the locker room with the intent of repairing relationships. It would be extremely difficult to make that assumption, and it is now something we will never know. Seems to me, the Steelers (who are in the know) decided they weren't willing to take that chance and knew that they somehow had to move on from this debacle to repair an already dysfunctional locker room. Sometimes you have to lose to win. As for MT, I don't think the question is whether he shoulders blame or not, I think the question is how much of the blame does he shoulder? That too, will reveal itself soon enough I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Good post. I agree. Collectively we are better without either Bell or Brown. Spread it around to many of the other options we have. Very excited for this year.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought he had only played three regular-season games without Brown. I don't think those totals are correct, though the touchdowns could be right. If I remember correctly, he had two strong games without Brown as a rookie, then had a quiet day against the Bengals last in the final game last season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was just pointing out what the experts had to say, since others are relying so heavily on Schlereth's opinion. I'm not even sure Brown had to mend fences so much as just show up and play, but we'll never know because the front office caved.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think moncrief carrying some of the load will be the determining factor. Same with mcdonald. I think Samuels will also have a role too in this. If these 3 take some load, teams will have to ease up on juju coverage. It's going to come down to Ben putting the ball in the right spots to force coverages to change. It's that simple. Ben will have to use patience. Less big chunks more death by a thousand cuts approach. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I question how much Samuels can help in that regard. Are they really going to have him on the field anywhere but running back? I know there was talk of it and he moved around in college, but was he even on the field with Conner at all last season?

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It was 3 games. You have the TDs right but the yardage and receptions is way off.

9 rec, 143 yards, 1 TD
    6, rec, 75 yards, 1 TD
    5 rec, 37 yards, 1 TD

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that remains to be seen. They said we had the pony backfield in practice last year but didn't use it. They were working with it again this year. He did split out some last year. He's got pretty good hands and did account for TDs last year as a rookie. I believe in year two his role can and will be increased. I think he is a valuable mismatch tool. Early downs catching teams in run defensive schemes could play a big role. :cool:

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The nine for 143 was against the Browns in the final game of 2017. He was dominant that day, really taking over when much of the team seemed to be only inconsistently interested, but that was the final game of the season against an opponent that didn't win a game.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Oh, he definitely has skill as a receiver, but I didn't think they really used him any differently than Conner last year in terms of where he lined up.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    from game 10 on he seemed to get more of bens attention. Being a rookie though had to limit his usage to some extent. He was forced into more of a RB role with the team because of conners injury and during game week prep it is difficult to add a lot of new uses for a rookie. Year two and now they have the time to do that. It's just hard to do that with limited practice time in season and with game planning. I know we used him in the slot at times. How much different than Conner I'm not sure.

I believe we have to get the past seasons out of the comparisons and find ways to work with the many tools we have. We no longer have or can count on that #1 receiver like we had in brown. It's not as easy to now say juju has to take that role. The whole dynamic of the offense has to change.

Remember that year two for many pieces of this offense are in place now. Feiler, switzer, samuels, washington, Conner a starter, eli after missing a lot of time, mcdonald with a second full otas and camp. We will have a new normal to deal with as an offense and I may add, it should help the defense as well covering this multiple player offense in practice. I have faith in our OC to make this work and I think Samuels will be another valuable tool.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The whole team had a quiet day against the Bengals, Lolapoloza had reached it's climax. Very misleading that JuJu didn't have a great game like he usually does. Everyone seemed like they were in a tailspin.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The big numbers against the Browns the previous season are just as misleading, if you want to use that word.

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Any numbers are misleading against THAT Browns team, I agree.
    Browns & Bengals usually always give us a game no matter how horrible they are.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How much was also part of the Bell saga on will he or won't he show up and should we add new wrinkles that will be dropped once Bell is back since he is the dual threat Bell cow.

18. leveraged

leveraged Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I've always wanted to say this;

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Most of the time, that is true. My point is if you are going to say Smith-Schuster's crappy numbers in the final game last season against the Bengals were misleading one way, his monster game against the Browns Week 17 of 2017 are just as misleading the other way.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. If you are going to use a game as a barometer it would be the Houston game but 3 games is just too small of a sample size right now.

He'll have all of camp to benefit from being treated as the number 1 now and facing double teams in practice. Will help prepare him going into the season whereas he was thrown into it a few games previously.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Texans were an absolute disaster for that game. That team had been decimated by injuries. I don't think we have any real sample of what it's going to be like for Smith-Schuster this year.

Ultimately, I think we agree that the real issue is the rest of the receiving corps. At least one receiver from the group of Moncrief, Washington and Johnson has to step up on the outside opposite Smith-Schuster. Rogers and Switzer can both handle the slot, but they need production from someone other than Smith-Schuster on the outside and none of those guys is a sure thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I was saying almost the whole team had crappy #s that day. Hard to put up #s when the whole team is playing like sh't. Usually when the team is playing up to their potential, JuJu is an all-star. Make sense?

23. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I thought the same but usually as observant as I can be the beer goggles have been known to effect certain things at times during the season hahahahah

24. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    That's what I thought when reading as well... So it was a homer article hahahahaha

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It makes sense, but it's not accurate. The entire sample size of Smith-Schuster without Brown is three games and two of them were played in circumstances that were misleading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.