1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Washington can he be the #2 WR?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 9, 2019.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    So he'll be banned from the league within 2 seasons?;+);+);+)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Man I hope not but I guess if he does we can get a 3rd rounder for him right??????

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    You will be pleasantly surprised with what Moncrief brings to the offense, he is more than just a deep threat. JW better bring his A game.

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Don't get me wrong I love the Moncrief signing if you go back you will see I mentioned him but wanted other guys more like Humphries, Benjamin, Thomas and Austin. I am more than happy with Moncrief and also feel he could be a steal at 4.5 mil if he stays healthy. I know he does more than just go deep but he will be the deep target a lot imo. Here's the thing it might not matter who is 2 or 3 there is a lot of production to replace 2 and 3 could see a ton of action.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Better conditioning should improve his quickness, my projection for him about 50 catches 750 yards and 5 TDs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would take Moncrief over a washed up Benjamin, and a injured Thomas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:this!:

If he can become the number two, I would wager that even the 1 thousand yard mark is not entirely out of the question either. Keep in mind Pittsburgh is going to have to utilize more of their weapons now than in the past. James is primed for a "Sophomore Explosion" in my opinion.

Not the biggest year two on the team though. In my opinion anyway.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I hope you are correct. I was extremely disappointed by his play last season, but that was by no means reason to give up on the guy. As I already pointed out, plenty of great receivers have done very little as rookies.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not doing this my man.

Peace. :wave:

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I was agreeing with you, but of course, you had to respond like the fraud that you are. Peace yourself.

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It don't matter now Moncrief is here, I wanted a big target for Ben and Benjamin would have been a nice fit. We went over this before about Benjamin he was very productive when he had a good QB and is still young.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    tevon Jones and griffey were both in Georgia working with ben. We also picked up the kid from the Canadian league that can fly and is a returner, and holten. I'm not sure any of our depth is set in stone yet. Jones was pretty close to making the team last year. :cool:

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  14. lvsteelersfan

lvsteelersfan Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2015
    I've read through quite a bit of this thread and it mostly talks about Moncrief, JW, JuJu and the rookie. I honestly think Switzer could be turned into an Edelman type player and if McDonald can stay healthy he is a monster kind of like Gronk. JW just doesn't seem to have that burst to the ball like a lot of WRs have in my estimation. Maybe it was because he was still trying to adjust to real game speed. I hope that is the case. But I was not really impressed with him on a lot of those missed catches last year where most of our WRs put on the afterburners and catch overthrown balls. Just my 2 cents worth.

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It would be great the only thing standing in the way is Ben and his penchant for the big play instead of the short pass for first down. If they can get him to see it he could be unstoppable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    IMO which isn't going to popular around here but oh well, it will depend on who Ben gives a chance to. If he wants JW to succeed then he will give him a chance. It is no secret I loved the JW pick but I am being objective here. Give JW the chance and he will not disappoint. It is nice to have a crowed room full of guys with promise.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So said most of our mothers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Will be whoever is where they are supposed to be on the field and the most comfortable he is with, IMO.

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with the 2nd part 100% but the whole who is where he is suppose to be thing I don't buy into. What I mean by that is what is Ben known for? He is hard to take down and extending the play which allows everyone to go off script. That was what made Ben and AB so darn good together, imo. I am not saying you don't have to be where Ben is expecting you to be I am just saying the play extends a lot of the time.

Last year JW had a lot of guys ahead of him and it was hard for him to get targets and develop a rhythm with Ben. Now he has the opportunity to move up in targets and as long as he is given the chance I feel he can do it. I do think now with so many weapons here the ball could be spread a lot more. jmo

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I totally agree with the comfort level aspect. Ben has admitted himself that he he needs to feel that in his WRs. I never bought into the whole not a great route runner BS with AB. He might not of always been in the place he was supposed to be but based on their success together I would say he was mostly in the place he needed to be. That’s why I don’t buy into the force the ball to AB BS either. He was targeted 168 times for a reason....comfort level and finding his way open quite frequently. Ben has never really been a timing based passer. He likes to hold the ball and manipulate defenders with pump fakes to create larger windows to throw into. He and AB had that connection. He will need to find that same comfort in others. JW is more than capable of being that guy if he gets the opportunities to do so. The only way to find that comfort level is through experience together and repetition. Using him as more than a one trick pony would go a long way in improving their chemistry and success.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    True but there is also times when Ben forced him the ball because of comfort level and he shouldn't have. The season opener two years ago vs the Browns where he climbed the ladder vs 3 defenders that's a ball that shouldn't have been thrown. The td pass vs dbl coverage in the AFCCG at New England that knocked him out of the game and then Bell pulls up lame that might have been a bad play given how things turned out.

22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    JW is no AB, never will be. Hines Ward hopefully.

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    My point is neither is really at fault. Can we really say anything bad about the connection they had on the field? No. Like I said I don’t subscribe to the force the ball narrative or the not a great route runner. Seems to me they were doing plenty of things right....on the field. Most people with a unbiased view would agree on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh definitely. I would be interested to see if someone with the coaches 22 tracked what they thought AB's route was supposed to be vs what he ran and was successful at. I would venture to guess that a lot of the end results influence what ppl think of the route. I think the results have always made it so we think positively about the connection and wasn't until it wasn't going well that questions came up.

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Correctamundo ....it only became a issue when people were looking for ways to discredit his ability.