1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Devin White v Devin Bush ...who's really better??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Daddymac10, May 26, 2019.

1. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    There's a universal understanding in the sports world that White is superior to Bush. YouTube highlights of both is very impressive ..IMO White's highlights of him causing his opponents to lose the ball stands out. But when you look past the highlights & look for complete college game tape ..IMO Bush is far more superior because he still dominates while White looks ..meh. White's tackling technique is beyond horrible while Bush's is excellent. In YouTube just type in the search field "Devin White v" ...then choose any opponent. Then do the same for Devin Bush. On a curious note, I wonder who we would choose if both was on the board. I think we still would've chosen Bush over White. I got a feeling White is not gonna live up to the hype in Tampa..

2. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I think you need to pick players based on your team's schemes and game play just as much as the players talent. Just because a player is more talented doesn't always translate into success on a team or system.

We won't know till they play a few seasons but I think Bush fits our system and culture. He has the speed top cover ground in a time when the TE position is becoming more and more dynamic while still having the strength to stop the run.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure it matters. White went ahead of Bush. The Steelers were able to trade up for the latter and it seems like he's a great fit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Usually speaking, when it comes to two prospects who exceed their peers and are the two best at their position, it comes down towards the finite traits. Sometimes, these traits are more simple to differentiate. Examples can be shown below:

- Jadeveon Clowney vs. Khalil Mack came down to athleticism vs. polish. Clowney had unreal athletic ability but Mack had unreal polish at the time.

- Ryan Shazier vs. C.J. Mosley came down towards playmaking vs. consistency. Shazier was a heat seeking playmaking machine whereas C.J. was "Steady Eddie".

-Marcus Mariota vs. Jamies Winston came down to Mobile QB vs. Pocket Passer. Marcus simply was more than a passer but had to work on it. Jamies, on the other hand, had good fundamentals and principles down as a passer but could not do much else.

-Derwin James vs. Minkah Fitzpatrick was about versatility vs. utility. Derwin can truly be used just about anywhere. Minkah can be utilized in key areas.

Now, looking at last year, we have quite the comparison. This one coincidentally indirectly mirrors this one. For that matter, this brings up those finite traits listed above. However, these traits are more so based on the intangibles rather than their skillsets as they can be so easily mirrored. This comp is down below:

RoQuan Smith vs. Tremaine Edmunds was not the super charged "Football Genius vs. Athletic Genius" matchup the media made us believe. The core difference between these two lied in their key specifics traits that defined them.

- For Tremaine, there was more to him than just his age. His latent abilities lied in his ability to perform not just pass coverage but every major function within the linebacking set given his dimensions. His age was just the bonus. This is why Tremaine was worth a top 20 selection.

- For RoQuan Smith, his defining trait came not just his insticnts and pre processing but tremendous leadership skills. Sure, Tremaine can easily grow into one (if he is not already) but Smith had those qualities day one. That in it of itself, coupled with his elite instincts and awareness, are what made him worthy of a top ten selection.

"How does any of what you said AQL have anything to do with Devin White vs. Devin Bush?!"

Answer?! Everything.

Devin Bush and Devin White are quite possibly two of the most identical prospects the draft has seen in some time. Realistically speaking, there is not too much seperating the two. However and again, the devil is in the finite details.

Devin White was the better linebacker when it came to defending the pass. That trait alone is what the today's NFL Defenses so heavily covet in their linebackers. That said, Devin Bush Jr. was not as behind as some make him out to be. Much of his coverage limitations to me stem a lot more from how both were being used rather than what either was or was not doing.

However and, for me, Devin Bush Jr. is the better Linebacker of the two. For one, of the two, Devin Bush Jr. was a far more sure fire tackler than Devin White. If Ryan Shazier in his rookie year taught us anything, sure tackling is just as important as rushing through running lanes going 100 MPH if not more than. The biggest reason stems from Bush Jr.s leadership. Like Tremaine, Devin White will quickly grow into a leader. However, since his early age, Devin Bush Jr. has not just been born one but also trained one by his father. While such a term is cliche, having a rookie Linebacker who is willing to speak up and speak out when necessary at the get go frees up any other form of concerns that rookie may have. His football instincts, athleticism and pre snap recognition are just more proverbial icing to his cake.

In short?! White has the superior coverage skills and slightly better blitzing abilities but Bush Jr. has the superior instincts and leadership skills. For a defense that has missed Ryan Shazier, this team was looking more so for latter than former.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets wait and see. neither have ever played in a pro game yet. Bush is on the more talented roster though.
    This should help in his overall play. I preferred White, but knew the Steelers had no shot at him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    White moves like a safety. He has generational athletic ability but a relatively raw project at ILB. With that said, White does an awesome job at the point of taking on blockers. He has done this better than Bush has.

Bush is a better tackler. White does his throw to the ground arm tackle which worked at the college level.

I think it really depends on the situation either player is in.

7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone has great YouTube highlights. What u need to look at are the games they dont play good and why. The biggest difference to me is that Bush can get caught up in alot if the trash. He can struggle to get off of blocks. Now, keep him clean and he makes plays.

I will admit I seen white play a ton more. He is a game changer. He always seems to make the play when needed. He doesnt disappear during the game as much as Bush seemed to. IMO

I am excited to see what Bush can do. I love the pick. All u can do is go by college career and if u ask me. White is one of the best I have seen in a long while.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe we should wait and see them play in the NFL first :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    There always seems to be a couple players in the same draft class that are compared. Hock vs Fant will be another. Tampa stayed put to draft White while Pitt had to give up two additional players for Bush so that has to be figured in when assessing value imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope. This is a message board. We must debate everything.

:smiley1:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    no, no this is a forum not a message board :lolol:

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I stand corrected

• Like Like x 2
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    And nothing like penthouses.:cool:

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I have been on record as saying that White is overrated. A legit 1st rounder, yes. A top 5 talent, no. He looks a bit slow to diagnose, and he often backpedals away from blockers instead of trying to shed them. I like him a lot, but I think he was drafted too high. We’ll see in a couple of years whether I’m correct.

15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I like that Bush is vocal and doesn’t like the other team, I think that’s an element that’s been lacking and is hard to find in today’s players.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Funny, I got to see a lot of Bush and very little of White, and I had the same impression as you in reverse. I'm not implying that you are wrong, I just found that interesting is all. Being able to see a lot of Shazier in college and a lot of Bush, I am higher on Bush than I was Shazier at that level. I'm not saying Bush will be better than Shazier, I'm only saying I'm higher on him at the collegiate level.

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Who's better? thBMKM7EDF.jpg Hayden.jpg

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Really? :eek::cool:

20. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    In that case you have to also factor in that while they stayed put to get White, Tampa used a higher pick on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope he is close man. It's a homerun if he is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Anybody could help that Tampa defense, their studs are falling faster than they can draft them.

23. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    Sometimes we choose to let the so called "experts" influence our opinion of players before they step on an NFL field. Sometimes they are right. Most times, they are no better at picking talent than you or I. Personally, I think the best linebacker in the draft will be the kid from NC State. Time will tell. It's what makes football fun to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  24. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Right.
    Considering what the Steelers would have given up to be able to pick White, it shouldn't be a straight White vs. Bush comparison. It should be "is White better than Bush, D. Johnson, and J. Layne put together?"

• Agree Agree x 1