1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DJ getting reps on the outside

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 25, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Or the entire story is crap.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The guy they took was of similar size, actually even lighter, 166 lbs and plays the slot. He's much faster though, 4.28.

So I wouldn't doubt they were looking at DJ.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I found it odd that they laid off picking any other wide receiver until the 6th rd if they planned on taking one in the 3rd.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not if they are following their board and didn't have a WR rated higher than the players they ended up taking.

I find it odd that people think the Steelers would feel they need to concoct a story to appease their fans.

As if people would storm the offices and drag KC and MT into the streets, string them up and beat them like pinatas. I know Mac would be lining up to take some swings at KC.

• Like Like x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    whoa, whoa do you think you can get that going? And can we bring our own sticks? It'll be painted black and gold at least. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think it was a fine pick by the Steelers.
    I don't put much stock in a second-hand tweet that the media chose to run with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    yeah I figured you'd want a few swings given how enthusiastic you've been about this draft :club:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Or perhaps it wasn't a concoction, but an exaggeration. "Oh, yeah. We were looking at Johnson at some point in the draft."

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The really curious thing to me is not the story but the push back on it when so many are willing to believe the Bengals and Ravens have made picks to spike the Steelers wheel and those stories have about the same level of truth to start with. Basically someone in the process saying they were looking a player x.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The whole WR class didn't play out as anyone thought. It was a very strange draft.

In the end all that matters is the Steelers loved DJ, met with him several times. Hopefully he rewards their faith in him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/dulac-steelers-had-first-round-grade-on-toledo-wr-diontae-johnson/

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I can't even begin to state how much self-control I am using not to get involved in certain parts of this discussion. I just wanted to point that out because I might be using up all the self-control I have left in this world, and I would probably use all the bandwidth available in my response. If I don't end this now, my hands, keyboard, and brain will explode. Quickly, from the film I have watch of DJ, I have a pretty good feeling he will be a gem. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Who said they believed that about the Ravens and Bengals? I don't even remember hearing that one. Someone was pushing the idea that the Patriots made a pick to screw with the Steelers and I was first in line to say that was silly.

Maybe there are people on here who believe one or more of those teams made a pick to screw with the Steelers, but are any of them the same ones questioning the story about the Bucs wanting Johnson?

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ll let you fret about it because you can literally do that with every draft.

I want the Steelers to stay true to their board and draft accordingly. That’s what matters to me because you draft far worse when you panic and abandon a years worth of work.

Also what if DJ performs like a number 1 :shrug:

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Max Williams pick for the Ravens and I believe if memory serves me the Jackson II pick for the Bengals can't remember the other player but in those instances we had numerous discussion's of how both teams knew the Steelers want the player and they took them to spike the Steelers. Some beat writers fueled the stories as well especially when Burns was rated as a lower round pick then the first.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The Bucs first 5 picks were on defense, they went defense with both of their 3 picks, I think that story Arians called a coach on this team to tell him who he intended to draft is a bunch of BS, coaches dont call other teams prior to the draft unless they want to trade up or down otherwise they dont tip their hand during the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The story I heard was that Arians called to curse him out for taking him because they wanted him. It was after the fact. That makes more sense to me. Arent Arians and Drake friends?

Amazing how much attention this story is getting around here. Who cares which version is right, the Steelers obviously liked DJ, they scouted the hell out of him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have been working the MAC conference with a lot of success for years. As for KC, I don't think he would be full of candy. There is one way to find out though.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, yes and yes

“I know for a fact Tampa Bay was going to take him with their next pick,” Drake said.

“I got cussed out by the Tampa Bay head coach that called me some names ya know for taking him. Because that was his guy.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If you were lurking on the Bengals Board right after we took Bush, they were absolutely certain we moved up to screw them. It is very likely the Bengals were going to take Devon Bush. Did we take him to screw with them? No. We moved up to get him while he was still available.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Then we will all be happy, but if he turns out to be a decent player and one of the receivers they passed on becomes a star, the Steelers failed on that pick. What if Winovich turns out to be a star for the Patriots while Johnson becomes nothing more than a decent No. 3 or No. 4 receiver? Again, that would be a failure.

It's not fretting. It's objectively evaluating the team we follow.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah ok, it was the second one I was recalling.

Was there ever any elaboration on how he knew?

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't like the Burns pick at the time, but I've never suggested another team took a player to screw the Steelers. It's a silly idea. Teams take the player they want for themselves.

I'm not doubting that some people make those claims because I've seen such posts this year. What I'm questioning is if any of the posters complaining about teams taking players just to screw the Steelers are the same people doubting the story about the Bucs wanting Johnson. If not, I'm not sure how the two issues are relevant to one another.

24. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Players fit differently on different teams. Just because a guy became a star on another team doesn't mean he would have been a star here or the right pick for this team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Such is life in the NFL draft. All you can do is hope the team does its homework and draft according to their board.

I really don't care where draftniks have prospects rated, it varies from one site to the next. No GM worth their salt should ever take that stuff into consideration.