1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We need to replace

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 18, 2019.

1. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    So hawt.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't imagine the Steelers will go with a true ground-and-pound approach, but they need to run the ball more this season. They gave up on the run entirely far too often in 2018.

That said, even if they throw 100 fewer passes, they still have production to replace. I wonder about the assumptions that McDonald will catch a lot more passes. I think it's a stretch to project him playing in 15 games again given his history. Even if he is healthy, there were times he was on the field with James last season. I imagine we may see fewer passes to tight ends this season, not more, just because they aren't as good behind McDonald with James gone.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Grimble will get more and they are looking for ways to get Samuels more involved. They will make up these catches somehow. It doesn't have to be just the conventional TE spot. A mismatch can come from different places. This pony backfield may be a way to do it. We shall see.:cool:

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think Switzer makes a big jump in targets. Him and Ben seem to have a connection going.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Gentry will be PS this year, no? He seems like a project.

God I hope not! None of his targets seemed like they were over 10 yards. Eli Rogers can at least find open zones 10-15 yards down he field.

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Nothing against Switzer but I hope our other receivers play well enough to limit his & Rodgers targets. Here's looking at you JW & Moncrief. A healthy Vananimal & Moncrief on my wish list also.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Being creative usually means you know you've got to make up for a talent deficiency.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Because of the very nature of his position in the slot he isn't going to be running deep routes I agree. But he can move the chains and eat up the middle of the defense. More importantly, Ben has a good rapport it seems with him and that usually means less errant throws because they are on the same page.
    Switzer had a 7 yard average per reception last year compared to Rogers' 6.6 with the new OC (although Rogers played very sparingly).
    Rogers does have a 10.5 avg over his 3 years though.

I always ripped Brady in the past for the dink and dunk but it is very successful nowadays for a lot of QBs. Ben will still take his deep shots, but you need a chain mover to be able to get those chances imo.

If it comes down between Switzer and Rogers, I bet the team chooses Switzer.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It works for New England :shrug:, with all that talent of AB at WR, zero Super Bowl wins.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Brady and Belichik make it work for New England. Roethlisberger is no Brady and Tomlin is a long way away from Belichik. Execution is a far more important factor with the Patriots than creativity and the Steelers don't have the team or the coaching staff to do what the Patriots do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yards per attempt are an indicator of success, they will be higher with Eli.

13. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Any good player is tough to replace. It has always been this way and always will be, however players come and go and teams move on. I'm more hopeful that our team can adjust their game plan to what the other team is allowing. Obviously, I'm not in the locker room before, during, or after a game (and if I am I'm not admitting it here), so I don't know the conversations, but it seems to me that we have a game plan before the game that we decide we are going to execute no matter what. If that plan isn't working, we rely on Ben forcing the ball to play catch up. This frustrates me to no end. If a team is going to stop the run, you pass and vice versa.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And the Eagles were able to beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl without a superstar WR, you don't need a star WR to be successful, you need 3 or 4 guys who are solid and can make plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You don't need one, but life is heck of a lot easier on offense if you have one. Also, the Steelers don't have a tight end like Zach Ertz or a No. 2 receiver as good as Nelson Agholor, who was second among receivers in targets on that Eagles team. Maybe McDonald can step his game up and Washington or Moncrief can be that No. 2 receiver, but those are question marks that are taking the exclamation point that they had in Brown.