1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud Dupree on Mark Kaboly

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 22, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's May. We have no idea what the locker room will be like by the time the season starts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe, but not that many. I think you’ll find players respond to press and each other all over the place.

Let’s not mix up a guy storming out on the team with a guy posting an ill-thought tweet which got deleted fairly quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I find it strange that Joey Porter is taking shots at Ben about having power and abusing it instead of using it to make the team around him better. Especially given the reports that Porter was trying to establish a split locker room with the defense against the offense.

Something that I want to see is if the Tomlin/Porter dynamic was operating in opposition to what Butler was instructing. In essence saying yes to Butler but turning around and doing what he wanted to do because he felt Tomlin had his back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    When are you people going to stop being in denial and see that Ben has issues with teammates. Hines Ward, of all people, had issues with him. I have seen every game since 1999. Ben is a talent and will never be denied that. However, he is an a-hole, which is fine, plenty of star athletes who are, but he is a passive aggressive one which is the worse kind. Lebron of the NFL if I had to compare it to someone. And because of that passive type attitude, it's cost the team wins and deeper runs with the combination of the Enabler Mike Tomlin.

Joey played with Ben, coached with Ben. Joey was known as the voice of the team and everyone loved him including everyone on the team and especially Bill Cowher. Joey may not have been able to coach well but he is a legit person. I would believe him over Ben.

Steelers can win with a jerk QB. They have done it twice. What they need now is a leader at head coach who can better prepare the team in every game they play. That is the real issue in it all. Ben's attitude doesn't help but you can work around that if you have a competent head coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What??? When did Porter become a high character guy :lolol:

You can’t use Hines because Ben was a jerk then, he has since done a turn around.

Sorry but low character guys like AB and Porter and the clown RB that said Ben fumbled on purpose don’t get the benefit of the doubt from me.

But like all things in life, some people are going to like you and some aren’t.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    They've done it six times, Bradshaw qualifies as a jerk in my book. He just had better mentors as you pointed out.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I assumed he was referring to Neil O'donell as the other jerk QB.;+)

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ben’s the man. Deal with it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Neil won the SB for the Cowpies. I think he's referring to our drama queen Ben.

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Terry was the QB I left out, not Ben. Either way, it was meant as a joke.;+)

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He seemed to become less of a jerk when he got married. Definitely passive aggressive.

My wife thinks his success in his first season went to his head.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have a theory that the same thing happened to Tomlin, early success reinforced his belief that his way works until struggles revealed that winning covers a multitude of problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely less opportunity to be one....speaking from personal experience :smiley1:. His passive aggressive nature is more of a detriment to the team(or any team sport) than I think gets recognized. IMO

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    He's learning, hopefully.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Complacency is human nature. I could only imagine having millions of dollars to fall back on. The truly great athletes and coaches are more driven to be successful and don’t let that complacency creep in. I think Ben and Tomlin are very comfortable...I’ll just say that.

16. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    George Seifert won 2 Super Bowls in dominating fashion in his 8 years as SF 49ers coach. Brian Billick won a Super Bowl. Jon Gruden, one of the most overrated NFL coaches I have ever seen, has won a Super Bowl. Tony Dungy, the second most overrated NFL head coach barely beat Rex Grossman led team in the Super Bowl.

Without going into crazy detail, Mike Tomlin is terrible at preparing his team week in and week out. And it isn't a one game in a blue moon type thing. It is 3 or 4 games a year on a consistent bases where they lose to terrible teams and it cost them 1 seeds, 2 seeds, byes and playoff appearances. If Mike Tomlin coached anywhere but Pittsburgh, he would have been fired within 3 years. Until the Steelers get rid of him, he will continue this and the Steelers will not win another title no matter who the QB is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The guy won a Super Bowl in his second season. He wasn't going to be fired anytime soon after that no matter which organization had hired him.

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Leadership is key element into controlling how players react on social media. If I was Tomlin that would be part of my job and although he may not have the power to tell them they cant post he certainly could if he wanted to strongly encourage them to maintain a level of professionalism

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

It can be argued that those coaches winning shows how having the right players counts more than anything else. Seifert was dreadful in Carolina.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    #7 Is an egotistical prick. Always has been. Thinks he is way better than others.