1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DJ getting reps on the outside

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 25, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    its the time for experimenting, let's see where he's most effective.

I think his most effective spot would have been in the fifth round but I digress :lolol: ok ok that was my last dig at the draft....until after minicamp lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    A good sign indeed. Matches up well with what some draft analysts stated about him. Versatile indeed.

Perhaps in due time, Pittsburgh could be running more than just three receiver sets. Should Diontae improve like this, this opens up the door towards so many more possibilities. Four or even five receiver sets being incorporated more?!

[​IMG]

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh no not another fan boy Pittsburgh media article propping up Johnson. Don't they know there is only one gif highlighting his ability to beat press coverage and his excellent route running? How dare they liken his game to Antonio Brown, Brown is head and shoulders above him.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Except he wouldn't have been available in the fifth round, if the reports are to be believed Tampa was going to take him, WR coach Darryl Drake said Arians called him and told him.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, there is only one gif that has been presented here as evidence of his ability to beat press coverage. Writing that is not the same thing as writing that there is only one that exists, which is what one would think from your misrepresentation of my words.

Also, I never wrote that nobody should dare compare another player to Brown. I mocked them for it. There is a difference there, too.

If you're going to bounce around multiple threads trolling another poster, at least be accurate about it.

It is interesting to see a moderator encouraging trolling on the board. I'm sure that will make things much better around here.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did you miss that green font is for sarcasm? This right here would be a joke, the exaggeration of statements made in order to illicit a smile from board members that have experienced your full frontal assault on anything DJ related.

As for the other thing since I haven't responded to your poor attempts to backpedal from your own mistake. I find it curious that in the last two days you have attacked Blast for what you are claiming is trying to twist the meaning of your words to fit his narrative when you have been twisting yourself into a pretzel to make a simple straight forward one line statement I made cover for your mistake and continued attempt to cast me as dishonest and a liar. By my count you have had 3 chances in which to simply say I was wrong and move on, none of which you have taken.

I made a simple statement how you responded and reacted to it is your own matter. It was neither a question or a challenge, you chose to respond which was fine, it was neither expected or intended for any purpose other than what was stated. There were several options available to you. The one you chose was fine it was when questioned about it that you chose to be dishonest and cast me in a negative light. Your quote was blame Thorn, he asked the question. I don't view that as a joke, I corrected your mistake using the exact tactic you use on everyone else by calling out your attempt at dishonestly portraying my post as something other than what it was. Again you could have said you know I was wrong it wasn't a question.

You then chose to double down trying to claim my statement was a challenge which it wasn't and trying to accuse me of dishonest posting and I knew my intent was to get you to post, in essence calling me a liar. I don't take that lightly, nine years in this community have established my place in it and how I interact with others. I have had spirited debates and gladly admit when im wrong. I don't lie, and make things up as a joke. When I joke as above people know it.

Your bs about mistakenly saying question when you meant challenge is just further proof that you can't admit being wrong. You have posted many times in multiple threads that words mean something and you choose yours carefully so either you are full of it or you are human and did make a mistake and should admit it. It really wasn't a big thing so the continued assault on my character and intentions really serves little purpose beyond alienating you from the community.

As to the trolling, there are several good discussions taking place on the board right now. You are involved in most of them and with such strong opinions you will tend to be opposed rather than not. That is not a bad thing. I believe as C.S Lewis said that men(people) must come together in the public forum to debate the topics and only then will they discern the truth.

If you want to start a thread about the Brown situation and how it should have been handled and debate your assertions I look forward to it and will be there until then stop calling me dishonest or a liar.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    If they run the bunch formation, wouldn't have to worry about outside/inside. I still wish DJ was as fast as AB, there's a good chance he can be as good or even better than AB ...we gonna be alright at WR

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh stop it Scribe, the victim is a very poor look that you play too often. Going back a few posts to where you said that snark leads to insults and fights, no, it's not the snark, its you being a jerk towards every board member here. Jerk is your own self description that you used on yourself, I'm just referencing it.

You were involved with about 4 simultaneous fights, had small fires all over the board, a little self reflection would do you good.

Honestly, you've gotten way more warnings than you deserve, do better. Treat others with respect and people will stop having fun at your expense. More importantly, the fights will stop.

As Thorn said, green font indicates sarcasm. He was kidding.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The only thing I posted that was wrong was when I called your statement a question. I should have chosen my words more carefully there. I never said I don't make mistakes. Please be fair and accurate in what you post.

You said you posted knowing that would be my response. How is it not fair to call that a challenge?

Also, you basically just called me a liar while complaining about being called a liar.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There is laughing with others and laughing at them. Given the way he came after me on the other thread, it was absolutely fair to take his post as a laugh at my expense. He also dragged a dispute from another thread here. How is that my fault?

You talk about treating others with respect. I deserve that, too, and I don't believe thorn is treating me with respect. Read his last response to me. Does that sound like he was engaged in good-natured kidding or does it sound like he posted that because he was angry over something I posted on another thread?

I got the sarcasm. He obviously doesn't mean those words. But sarcasm is often used to show disrespect for those who do say something. Teachers are actually instructed to avoid using sarcasm when dealing with students because it is not considered respectful and it often comes across as mean-spirited.

I'd like to post on topic now. Perhaps others could do the same.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Actually AB had a bad combine thats why he fell to the 6th round, and I think we reached for DJ in the 3rd round, some draft analysts had him pegged as 6-7th rounder......

Antonio Brown
    Year: 2010
    Height: 5-10
    Weight: 186
    40: 4.57
    Bench: 13 reps

Brown wasn’t a top performer at the NFL Combine. NESN recently published a story citing Brown as one of the reasons teams shouldn’t obsess over combine results. His 4.57 40-yard dash is in the 33.3 percentile among wide receivers who have participated in the combine since 1999. His bench press reps and 33.5-inch vertical leap were also below average and his 3-cone drill time was just average.

14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    AB ran a 4.47 40 at his combine, DJ ran a 4.53..not a huge difference. That really is about the only comparison one can make at this time. AB's talent came from developing his quickness and reaction on the field. Only time will tell if DJ can or will develop a style that will be effective in the NFL.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And then you took the words right out of my mouth.

- Meat Loaf

• Like Like x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    AB ran a 4.57 first run at the combine and he ran a 4.56 on his second run, he ran a 4.48 at his pro day and I dont think DJ ran the 40 on his pro day.....

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Meat Loaf is a distant cousin of mine, I never met him though.

Back on topic, I know absolutely nothing about DJ, but Ben will get him paid.

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
  19. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    To me you have JuJu who can line up inside and out. You have Moncrief and Washington as outside only and Switz and Rogers as inside only. Need another guy who can do both so my guess is they are just seeing if he can be that guy.

20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Or just give the clown the heave ho. He has been blocked for me for a very long time. you get to know immediately after spending years on this board which members are going to be a royal pita and which are here for the greater good of the eco system we call the steelers message board

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Speaking of things that are bad for the ecosystem of a forum (not a message board, right?), having posters take shots like this at another board member while hiding behind the block function does not help.

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:applaud:

This is how I am looking at it honestly.

Why have a receiver who can do damage in one area whereas having one who can do damage in multiple areas?! Unpredictability is the current name of the NFL game. Whichever team can keep the other's guessing is the team that has the greater chance of winning.

• Like Like x 1
  23. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    How many of those analysts wrote him off (even if they won't admit it) because he went to Toledo instead of an SEC team? If both the Steelers and the Bucs were planning on taking him in the 3rd round, then he is a 3rd rounder, not a 6th rounder.

"Some" teams wouldn't have paid Kirk Cousins a three-year, $84 million contract. What matters is that at least one team would.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The thing about the Bucs taking him in the third-round was a second-hand claim by the Steelers' receivers coach, who was presenting it as part of the justification for the selection. It is not reliable information. What we know is most draft listings had him below several receivers who were also available for that pick. We also know the Steelers could have taken Winovich there, but clearly they had Johnson rated higher.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The Bucs must have liked D. Johnson exclusively, because I don't think they took a receiver until the 6th round once he was off the board.