1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu will Flourish as the #1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Before you go criticizing someone else's language skills, you may want to learn how to use proper sentence structure and punctuation. You couldn't even make it through a two-sentence post correctly.

That's the second time in the last day or two that you have gone completely off topic to take a personal cheap shot at me. Ad hominem attacks like yours are a logical fallacy used by people who lack skill in rhetoric.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    You are right, that was a low blow & I will apologize for it. You could & can run circles around me when it comes to writing or Journalism. The "cheap shot" part was dead-on by you, but adding your speculation on why makes your writing style misleading in my view. Granted it was most probably a counter punch from you & I deserved it.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The chemistry in a locker room is very important

In the last 5 years, the steelers were perhaps more talented than the teams of the 2000s (2004-2010) but the chemistry of the 2000s was much better than the chemistry in the last few years when the locker room was a circus.

Brown is not the only one to blame for the toxic locker room the steelers had, but he was one of the problems.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh don’t get all uppity. It’s not like you could be a redshirt CB in Hooterville, NC.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They didn't win anything with him when he wasn't behaving like a malcontent and they are suddenly going to while he is? Sure.

I think it's ludicrous that an english teacher thinks he knows what it takes to win a SB more than a guy who won 3 of them.

Stay in your lane Scribe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It was absolutely a counter-punch, but your apology is accepted and appreciated.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By that logic, this board shouldn't exist. We should just bow down and accept the word from on high and leave our own opinions out of it.

Or we could understand that some of us actually do know more than former players. We should act as if our opinions are worthy of the bandwidth here. Former players aren't perfect. They have biases and blind spots just like anybody else. They get jobs as analysts on name recognition over skill. That's not to say that some of them aren't fantastic analysts, but no, I'm not going to back down just because a former player said something.

Bill Belichick didn't play in the NFL. Should he defer to guys who won rings as players? What about Bill Parcells or even Mike Tomlin? Neither of them played in the NFL. Bill Cowher was just a special teamer. Does he get to speak up a little, but not as much as an All-Pro?

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's three. You really aren't going to bring anything to the table but personal attacks, are you?

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That was meant as levity. But as usual, you missed it. Others did not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Next time include humor in your attempts at levity. Better yet, try posting about the team rather than posting about me.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh sure, you can have your own opinion and disagree with him but to dismiss a 3 time SB champions opinion on what it takes to win them as ludicrous is the height of arrogance that I can't wrap my head around.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Again, if all you are going to do is defer to what any former player said, there is no reason for this board to exist. None.

I respectfully disagree with the three-time Super Bowl champion. Again, does he know more than Bill Belichik? Belichick never even played in the NFL. And yes, I'm using hyperbole here, but the point stands. Just because some guy was a successful player in the NFL doesn't mean his analysis of the league is infallible. For one thing, former players disagree all the time. What happens when two former NFL stars disagree? You're actually stuck thinking for yourself!

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Pathetic

:facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Depends on the topic. And we aren't comparing former players opinions to one another.

And Im not deferring to him anyway, his opinion aligns with mine.

And calling his opinion ludicrous isn't respectfully disagreeing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's how I would describe your efforts on this thread. What is that, five posts in a row that are digs at another poster rather than on topic? Care to say something useful about Smith-Schuster? Or Brown? Or anything Steelers related?

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I respect him, but not that particular opinion. Works for me. :)

By the way, if you're going to keep bringing up Schlereth's comments, you should quote them. Given the liberties you've taken with my comments, it would probably be best if you showed us the actual quote.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016

Here's one commentary by Schlereth from January. He said that as a former player, his first instinct is to get rid of the player "because he's a turd," but he goes on to argue the other side. He put the blame for what happened at the end of last season on Tomlin for losing control of the team. He talked about a systemic failure including Roethlisberger's comments about teammates and the linemen speaking out against Bell. He also said you can't replace that production, meaning Brown. I'm assuming you are talking about something else Schelereth said, probably more recent, but this commentary aligns more closely with mine.

Also, do you agree with Schlereth that none of the Steelers should have said anything negative about Bell?

Edit: Okay, something's seriously wrong here. The site won't let me post the link.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016

Maybe these are the comments Blast is talking about. He also said that the players in the locker room would have had no problem putting Brown's lousy behavior behind them. Chris Carter said the same thing. So in the conversation in the video, you have both former players saying that the players would have had no problem welcoming Brown back.

Schlereth's argument is that you can't have both Brown and Tomlin because he has "circumvented that coach's authority."

Wasn't the argument here that getting rid of Brown was part of fixing the locker room? Is the argument that he had to go because Tomlin couldn't handle him? Because you have Schlereth, whose opinion Blast says we must respect, and Chris Carter saying that the locker room would have handled Brown's return just fine and clearly explaining why.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m going to get in on this.

I think Brown’s production as it relates to a singular player matching it is going to be tough.
    I think we can still be successful using a couple more players and spreading the ball around more.
    I actually think this makes us more dangerous. Meaning tougher for opposing teams when they have to focus on several good players versus one Super star.

I’m personally glad Brown is gone.
    I personally put a higher respect on team guys.
    I believe that the team chemistry would be doomed if Brown would’ve remained.
    I’m not sure the locker room is completely fixed, but it’s heading in the right direction.

I do like @Formerscribe stance on keeping AB and forcing his hand, I just personally don’t think it would play out well and just be more distractions.

I’m not worried about future players forcing their way out. I believe the Rooney’s are getting this stuff ironed out moving forward.

These are my opinions and I’m open to changing my mind on them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I tend to agree with most everything stated. Just for personal reasons I would have loved the Steelers to force Brown to sniff his own dung when he turned down the offer from the Bills (though who could blame him). That said, the team really did have to move on at that point. They set a deadline, accepted a subpar offer, and Brown got his money. At this point I just want all the conversation to be turned off about Bell and Brown, from the team and fans. If the media asks questions just ignore, quit answering his twitter crap, and just get focused on Steeler football. I like our chances, but the Browns, Ravens, and even Bengals are going to provide stiff competition this year. Focus on that and let the past go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Pathetic

:facepalm:

Go Steelers

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Believe me I wish they could’ve stuck it to Brown without any distractions.
    IMO it was time to move him.
    On one hand I feel they were lucky to get what they got based on the way he was acting. On the other hand I feel we should have gotten more. Time will tell I guess?

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think there was any way back once he started going on social media and waging his PR campaign. Once that started there was no way for them to place him on the commissioners list or deactivate him or bench him where he wouldn't talk. I'm sure Desmith (think that's the union leader) would have taken up the case as another owner trying keep the guys down. It would be a mess.

I had hopes for a first round pick but after he torched the Bills deal because they said they would only give him a small amount of money and not negotiate a new deal that was the end of that. The Raiders really were the dumb ones in this. He was under contract for 3 years at a reasonable rate and they gave him new money. Once they did that they were open for business. Once Julio gets a new deal or Evans, or even Thielen he is going to go nuclear and want more money.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats cool, I have no issues with that. I was just taken back by your dismissal of him in your OP.

My point really was, if you are going to build a team and the best way to go about it, are you going to ask the guy with 3 SB rings or Larry the plumber? I know who I'm going to for advise.

The clip I was referencing was the Emanuel Sanders segment. The one that caused AB to fire back at Sanders. Schlereth says in it, that the way to win championships is with every guy pulling for each other, that you need to care more about the guys success next to you than your own and that AB is not that guy, he's too selfish. I'm paraphrasing but I'll see if I can find it. I also think I recall him saying AB quit on the team and they have to move on from him. Not certain, I heard so much in the following weeks of that disaster that I may be referencing someone else.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What I've seen from Schlereth is that he actually thought the locker room would have gotten over it. He and Carter both talked about how locker rooms don't have one type of guy. They have a mix of personalities and some of them are going to be selfish jackasses. The locker room will forgive such things if the guy puts in the work and makes plays, two things Brown did consistently with the exception of one week in his entire career as a Steeler.

The point both former players in that segment made was that they thought Brown had to go for Tomlin's sake. All due respect to them both, that's a terrible argument. If you are in a position to be forced into trading one of your best players because the coach can't handle him, the coach needs to go, not the player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.