1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DJ should make an immediate impact

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 18, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, you direct quoted me, then put your spin on my comment. I'm not back tracking. I'm correcting you when you misrepresent what I posted. My words were chosen properly. Your misrepresentation of them is the issue.

Regarding Dobbs, he turned the ball over twice in four possessions. And that was with relatively careful play-calling because the coaches clearly knew he wasn't ready. They couldn't run that day. If they had Jones to turn to, they could have stuck to their offense and attacked the weaker part of the Oakland defense. They went conservative because it was Dobbs, not Jones.

The discussion is about last season. The one time the Steelers needed their backup for an extended time, Dobbs failed miserably. That is the relevant fact.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Dobb's had a bad day in Oakland. Many, many Steelers have had a bad day in Oakland. No it wasn't about pennies on the dollar, Pittsburgh proved that with their handling of the malcontents. It was about Dobb's being more viable then Jones. Hence Dobbs is our #2.

3. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yes Landry was picked up & cut because of too much mustard for him. Never stated that Dobb's would be picked up, stated that it was a possibility.
    If Jones was a viable #2 then he would be a #2 for some team. That is logical. He has proven that he isn't a good enough backup QB to be a viable #2. 32 teams seem to agree with this.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So the one time he was needed for any amount of time he failed, but you want to dismiss that? You're funny.

I've explained why Jones was far more valuable to the Steelers than he would be to any other team. Your willful ignorance does not change the fact that he knew the offense better and had put it far more work with the veterans on offense. The coaches has shown in the past that they were willing to run the regular offense with Jones. They weren't willing to do that with Dobbs.

Dobbs was kept over Jones because the Steelers decided to focus on 2019 and beyond rather than keep the backup quarterback who gave them the best shot in 2018. They gambled that Roethlisberger would stay healthy. That gamble cost them in Oakland.

5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Dobb's was needed more than one time. False statement on your part. With all that experience with the organization & offense, Jones failed to convince a team, any team, that he is a viable #2. Case closed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he had proven for a while that he was a viable No. 2 quarterback, but he was only under contract for one more season. The Steelers had cheap control of Dobbs for at least two more seasons. I notice you keep avoiding that part because you can't refute it. I'm right and you know it.

Please note how I worded my comment about Dobbs. I know you and others love to hang your hat on one throw and ignore four ugly possessions against the Raiders. I was specifically talking about the one game in which they needed their quarterback for more than a play or two. That was when Dobbs failed miserably, in part because he clearly had a limited playbook, something that wouldn't have been in play with Jones in the game.

But hey, at least you have Blast Furnace's support. Of course, I think he'll support anybody who disagrees with me about anything at this point, but enjoy it.

Saying case closed at the end of a bad argument doesn't make it better.

7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    It felt like a good finishing touch scribe. I was giddy for a moment.
    I thought it was a very clear argument, supported by facts, not my view on Landry's having proved anything other than beating a very bad Browns team from time to time. Yeah

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Imagine thinking the Steelers are so dumb they'd keep an inferior QB just because he is cheaper.

Good news for me, Dobbs contract is almost up, think I'll try out!

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think your avatar expresses it better Heinz.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Blast's post on page 6 pretty much covered all the bases imo.
    So it's more like I support his conclusion. Very solid argument on his part.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    On the depth chart, you will be listed behind Glemm. Hope you don’t have an ego. :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Landry Jones turned out to be A LOT more inferior than most of us posters thought he was. I actually was on the keep Jones bandwagon last preseason (knows the playbook, better mentor for Rudolph). Stating Dobbs is inferior to LOL is stretching the truth & he knows it.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Pains me to say it too because I like Jones.

Nathan Peterman is able to make an NFL roster, Nathan Peterman. Let that sink in.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Yeah Peterman has 3 TDs and 12 interceptions with a 32.5 passer rating for his 2 year pro career with the bills, his potential isnt what anyone could call worthy of a contract.....So two teams sign landry and cut him before he even gets to compete for a job in camp, makes you wonder whats going on, is he just being black balled by all the hate shown by steeler fans when he was here????

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Is Landry pulling an AB after he is signed? Just kidding, I liked Landry also.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Jones had played in other games. He had shown that he actually could run the full playbook. It sure didn't seem like they were willing to do that with Dobbs.

Next time, be sure you are actually right before you get giddy. You weren't.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    For the 2018 season, he was inferior. He showed it against the Raiders. The Steelers gambled so they could keep the guy they had cheap control of for a longer period of time and it did not pay off last season.

19. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    IMO ...DJ's college highlights is more impressive than AB's highlights in college. But AB is much faster than DJ. If DJ can replicate what AB gave us in terms of WR, PR, & KR ...there's no reason to keep both Switzer & Rogers on the same roster. If we keep 6 WRs on the roster, I'm really hoping a tall speedster like Johnny Holton can beat out Rogers...

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont know about much faster AB ran a 4.57 and DJ ran a 4.53 at the combine......

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Switzer, coming off shoulder surgery, eli, with a larger contract but has been faith, Jones worked out with Ben and was close to making the team last year, holten, has experience though limited, griffey did ok in preseason last year,Spencer is small but a returner burner . This should be interesting to watch.:cool:

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Get used to that. Clearly going to be our number 2 and going to benefit from the attention JuJu attracts. The safety broke in on JuJu and couldn't recover in time.

DJ also has a team best 3.7 seconds of separation. In comparison, JuJu is at 2.4.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1