1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bucky Brooks:Steelers better off without Le'Veon, AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 24, 2019.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Even if they somehow suck this year without them it just feels like a storm cloud has finally passed.. Especially seeing the way bell and brown have acted since joining there new teams.. The sickness has passed

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Sadly I see a lot of NFL players acting out in the near future. I hope your right about the sickness part.

4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 2
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell and AB neither one of cared about the team, they only cared about their money, addition by subtraction :thumbs up:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Completely. Ben makes the team go, always has been that way always will for as long as he in under center. Bells production was replaced without skipping a beat and so will AB. Its a wonder how we won any games before AB came along by listening to some people.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Well, Bell and Brown had some of that blue-collar attitude. They were fierce competitors and hard workers, on the field and off. (Or in Bell's case, used to be.) Understandable why the team stood behind them as long as they did, in the hopes their emotional problems would get better. (Ben post-suspension is very different from where he started.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben post marriage is very different.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben learned from some of his mistakes (wife probably being his biggest mentor)

Yet to see if Brown does

Bell has not imo.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This organization pushed Chuck Noll out the door because his approach wasn't working any more. Noll was one of the best coaches in the history of the game, probably among the top five, but to think the organization can win the way it did in the '70s is ridiculous.

Of course, those teams had their share of headcases, too. Joe Greene tried to walk out on the team once. Ernie Holmes once had a complete mental breakdown. Franco Harris's time with the team ended due to a holdout. It's funny how we forget these things.

11. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Unfortunately the Steelers way of playing football is over forever. Steelers staple was always defense and good coaching. NFL has ruined defense as long as Roger Goodell is in charge. And Mike Tomlin is a terrible coach.

Hall of Fame Qb is whats kept the Steelers where they are and at one point they had the best RB and WR in the league at the same time. No clue where this can go.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Scribe forgot that Bradshaw wanted to be traded in his early years.
    We do need to get back to having a top defense. It still wins championships.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't forget so much as I stopped after three examples. That was just part of Bradshaw's messy relationship with Noll. I also could have mentioned that Joe Gilliam was also part of the mess there, but he had substance abuse issues.

If you really want to dig into all the issues from the '70s, we could talk about the rampant steroid use on the team. That eventually led to Steve Courson testifying before Congress. That and blows to the head that caused brain damage led Mike Webster to the path that eventually turned his life into a tragedy.

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't really want to revamp all the drama of the '70s scribe. I was trying to tie into OX's post. My last sentence was trying to remember the glory of the 70s, looking for some positive responses.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Brown has mental problems, he needs to be talking to someone. Only way he avoids a serious meltdown this year is if the Raiders are a top team in the league and he is putting up monster stats.

I don't see either of those happening.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Porter, Burnett, Bostic, AB, Bell all fell out of favor in one way or another and they are no longer with the team.... that is good.

Ben's leadership is in question by everyone except the current team members who may or may not toe the company line to the media..... that is undetermined

Mike Munchak left the team to be closer to his family.....how much time is he going to spend with his daughter and grandkids during the season and he is in a position financially to have an offseason home there if that's his true ambitions. The damn kid fired out of his daughter with his hands in a good position to pick up the cross blitz between the doctor and nurse so really what was the deal? I don't care about AB, LB26 and all those other fools, when a stand up guy like Munchak wants to leave the team for a Lateral position...that tells you something about the direction and culture of the team the past season or two. Sarrett doesn't have anything to do with it. Do you honestly feel the Steelers FO would prefer Sarrett over Munchak?

There's more to the locker room story than is being revealed imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought the whole problem with Brown is that he didn't like to practice; and Ben called him out when he was slacking off in practice.

On the practice-field I don't think Brown was a good example for anyone.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    uhh.... what? :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I do. Ben on the other hand....

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    As much as I don’t like AB anymore, one thing I won’t take away from him is his work ethic, he practices his ass off.

The incident you are referring to is he ran the wrong route in practice or a sloppy route, don’t recall exactly but Ben then called him out for it.

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Brown does need to be talking to someone, we all do really. That someone should be someone looking out for what's best for you, not a 'yes' man or snake-oil salesman (Rousenhaus). Someone like Ben.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think he said Brown needed to run his route flatter on the red zone interception and then added the real problem part about targeting Juju four times. It was a low percentage play with high risk down at the 2 yard line, things really clogged up and Ben attempts an over the middle throw that is deflected and picked. In order for it to work Ben would have had to take the snap, pivot his hips and hit Brown as he started to break towards the goaline. Basically a bang bang play, not hold the ball wait for him to get free in the end zone then find him and throw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    There WAS a time Bell and Brown were good guys until fame and fortune ruined them. It could turn out to be addition by subtraction. Bell may be on the verge of diminishing skills and it turns out huge for us not paying him. I think Brown has a few good years left, but at least we don`t have to pay him again. All in all, maybe we did good.

24. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Not even close.

"(Roethlisberger is asked) ... what about Brown stands out, the first thing he says is, 'his work ethic is unbelievable.' " - 2016 NFL.com article

Edit: The article outlines all the stuff Brown did that impressed all his teammates. No one questioned his effort. Before the craziness took over: "His teammates just voted him their season MVP for a third time. This week, Tomlin said he wouldn't trade him for any receiver in the game."

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree, but I think it was an rpo from shotgun, a bad snap and Conner tried to grab the ball when Ben faked it to him. I don't remember the ball being tipped before it was picked. Ben's options were limited by the time he looked up to make the pass. He said himself, what else could he do in that situation, fall on the ball to kill the play?...