1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu will Flourish as the #1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That was pre salary cap. I can’t think of a team in recent history that has been lead to the SB by their receiver(s)

It’s more important to pay your QB, O-Line and defence. Yes you need capable receivers to move the ball but I don’t think you ‘need’ superstars out wide to be successful.

Steelers should be solid all over the field next year but will be less explosive on offence. I’m not saying that’s a guarantee of success but give them 5-6 games next year and they’ll have figured out how to move the ball and win games imo.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There was a good team around rice in SF too. Roger Craig was a huge part of that offense and a very good defense. It still takes a team effort. It works both ways, a good receiver takes pressure off other guys but other guys having success take pressure off a number one receiver too.:cool:

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nice try, but that's a good bit of dishonesty on your part. You challenged me to provide that information so I did. I could have chosen a more precise word, but unlike you, there was no lie. You brought it up. Therefore, that part of the discussion is on you. My point was honest. Your lame joke was not.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They didn't have to let him go, but they caved.

There is a history of players forcing their way out of Pittsburgh. Blount did it. Harrison did it. Brown is just the latest. It's a history of the team caving and it includes all sorts of situations from a reserve running back to a former All-Pro on his last legs to the best receiver in the game. In every case, the Steelers gave away a player that had value, helping and opponent and hurting their own roster. Remember, Blount played a huge role for the Patriots that year and eventually won a Super Bowl with them after the stunt he pulled to get out of Pittsburgh. (They should have suspended and/or benched him rather than cut him and risk helping another contender.)

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He was under contract. They didn't have to give in to his demands.

The Steelers absolutely lost. They traded an elite player for pennies on the dollar. Brown got everything he wanted.

7. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I will give you that they lost the compensation battle. I'm not so sure Brown got everything he wanted just yet. We are all in anticipation of how he reacts to not being on a perennial playoff team. I can easily see more mayhem from him to get to where he wanted to go, now that he has his last big contract.
    My take on the fiasco is that he knew that he would not get another top-receiver contract if he waited to the end of his Steelers contract.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry again but I should know my intentions and calling them into question and representing them in this way is on you which again is dishonest. I stated I was waiting for your post on the correct way the Brown situation should have been handled. No where in that sentence is there an expression of conditions to that post. You claimed I asked the question. Wrong I asked no question in that post. Now after being called out for your dishonest representation of my statement as you have done to others you have back pedaled and attempted to shift from the dishonest representation of me asking a question to me challenging you. Wrong again and dishonest. I made a statement of waiting to read your post, you ran 200mph into that wall due to your obsessive fanboy love of Antonio Brown and need to be right all on your own. My reputation within this community has been well established and your attempts at misrepresenting them is offensive.

10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    so what would you have had the Steelers do instead? They likely couldn't trade him for better return. So the choices were trade him for poor return or keep him and try to improve/manage the sh**storm that ensues. I don't think there were other choices. And neither of the ones I see were great options.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Brown wanted out of his contract with the Steelers. He wanted more money, specifically more guaranteed money. He wanted at least some control over where he went. He showed no real interest in making sure he went to a contender. So yes, he got exactly what he wanted.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I already explained what I wanted to do in answer to thorn's challenge. Scroll up and read.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you really think this act is funny? The joke wasn't that good the first time. It's even more tiresome now.

You challenged me to post what the team should have done. Clearly, based on this post to which I am responding, you expected that challenge to lead to me posting an answer. Now you are saying you didn't intend for that to happen? That's a blatant lie on your part.

You know I didn't post dishonestly. Using the word question instead of challenge was an honest mistake. Anybody who thinks I'm an Antonio Brown fanboy is an idiot in need of a clue. I don't think you're an idiot, so that just mean's you are posting more dishonest crap because you think it is somehow entertaining.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    AB was a cancer, he had to be removed. That whole call his bluff thing wasn't going to work, just another distraction the team would have to talk about every week. Organizations shouldn't cater to diva receivers, when was the last time a diva WR won a Super Bowl? Just like the Giants got rid of OBJ, and that wasn't about money, they were just tired of his BS, as were the Steelers with AB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You have no idea if it would have worked. Again, the Steelers called his bluff once before and it did work.

You really think the distractions are gone? Again, that is wishful thinking and we haven't seen the evidence yet.

The way to win the Super Bowl is to have better players. The Steelers went in the wrong direction on that one with the Brown trade.

Are you really putting up the Giants as en example to be followed? They are an absolute disaster right now, a team that has been rightfully bashed for a disastrous offseason that included the loss of several key players and wasting the sixth overall pick on a quarterback who probably belonged in the second or third round.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well the Steelers had AB for 9 nine years, and didn't win a SB :shrug:. There will be no distraction on the team going forward on AB level, you see leaders of the team speaking up Heyward, Foster, and Pouncey they aren't going to put up that BS.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Those same leaders let it happen last year. The coach who let it happen last year is still there. The quarterback who contributed to it last year is still there.

18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Enough is enough

If the steelers have a bad season, it will not be because of JuJu is the number 1 WR ..... I mean, in the last 6 super bowl champions, he would have been the best WR of his team or at least in the discussion in each of his teams .... You can win a championship with JuJu as number 1 and that's what's important for me

Same thing for James Conner .... In the last 14 super bowl champions (since 2005) Conner would have been the best running back of his team in at least 12 of his teams ... only the Ravens in 2012 and seahawks in 2013 that Conner would not have been the best RB of his teams

The Steelers have problems, but Conner and JuJu are not one of the problems.

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    You always claim your assumptions as facts. No you don't "say" it's a fact but your writing style probably contributes to why you are a "Former" scribe. Not a fact but an assumption on my part.

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    People change :shrug:, we won't see a repeat of last season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

Very possible, especially in the case of JuJu ... Another great season by him, he'll have at least 15 millions per year

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not even sure English is his first language? He gets very confused on what some people post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The way not to win SB's is by having players like Brown on the team.

According to Mark Schlereth and he knows a thing or two about winning SB's.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Wow. That's quite the personal cheap shot there. You just suggested that I lost my career in journalism due to my writing style. Of course, you are also clueless to think I use the same writing style here that I used as a journalist. Perhaps the concept of adapting one's writing style for the situation is beyond you.

I state my opinions strongly and present evidence to back them up. You resort to cheap shots when you don't like the way a discussion is going. I don't have to say that is an assumption. You just did it right there in the post I'm quoting.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This narrative that Brown was somehow holding the Steelers back is ludicrous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.