1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu will Flourish as the #1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Or wrong. My opinion is that JuJu takes the league by storm (companies will be lining up to sell their brand with him). Nothing against AB but JuJu will be smarter on the field given time. He has to be because he is a bit less gifted than AB at WR.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    When was the last time the Steelers developed the best receiver in the game? Seriously, because that's what Brown was for at least three years.

I'm not losing sleep about any of it. I'm pointing out that the team hurt itself in many ways by caving to Brown. You can ramble on about butthurt all you want, but Brown whined his way into getting exactly what he wanted and the Steelers hurt the talent level, they got a pathetic return on an elite player who is still taking up a huge part of their salary cap this season and they showed future players that they will cave far too easily if a player doesn't like his contract.

3. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    AB was going all in to create mayhem for the Steelers. Any respectable owner or leader would have done the same thing the Steelers did. They gave him a chance to regroup but he decided to hang with out C. Johnson. A good move for him as he will mimic Chad's career.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

When last time the best WR won the super bowl?

The steelers have had several very good wide receivers in the last 20 years .... Buress, Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Brown, JuJu, etc....If other WRs are good in this team, the steelers will be fine at this position, even if the steelers have not the best WR in the NFL.

We need to focus what we have, not on the players that steelers do not have.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Juju will be very good, possibly won’t hit the numbers he hit last year but that’s fine. If he is double covered then somebody else is one v one. If one of Moncrief or Washington has a good season the offence will score points, they will figure it out. I think Moncrief will surprise people, don’t be surprised to see near 1000 yards and 8-9 touchdowns. He has never had a steady QB throwing to him from behind a good Oline. Vance is there too and they will run the ball more than they did last year when they were near bottom of the league in rushing attempts. When Conner was healthy last year he was awesome. I like the running back group a lot.

Big question is how much has the defence improved. I think that potentially they have improved a lot in terms of personnel, safety group is average to poor with a lot of upside potential but I think the Steelers are solid everywhere else. It’s down to the coaches after that.

JuJu is the least of the Steelers worries, we all know how good he is but he needs help around him.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    tenor (4).gif

• Like Like x 2
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Jerry Rice won a few Super Bowls. Are you actually suggesting that having the best receiver in the game was a bad thing? That makes no sense. This idea that Brown is nothing special, just a product of the system and Roethlisberger, is just ridiculous.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Then your own post must have you sneezing your head off.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So the next time a star player on the Steelers wants a new contract, he can just throw a tantrum and the team will cave again. That's what you seem to want.

10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm waiting for your detailed post describing just how the correct way to handle the Brown situation should have went.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    So the last time the best NFL receiver won a super bowl was in 1994.

Brown is a great player, but my point is that a team can win a super bowl without having the best WR in the NFL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I've said it before. Tell him to shut up or there will be no trade. The moment he killed the trade with the Bills, they should have stopped trying to trade him. At that point, his choices are to play for the Steelers or sit. The guy is 30 years old. He can't afford to take a year off like Bell did last year and that wouldn't get him to free agency anyway.

If he doesn't show, they don't have to pay him. If he does, but keeps acting like an ass, suspend him. It's not like they aren't counting him against the cap this year, anyway. Keep in mind that Brown did make noises about holding out and fighting for more money once before only to back down. I don't think he was ready to tank his career. Call his bluff. The worst-case scenario is you get nothing out of him, but the cap hit was about the same anyway, and you show that the team isn't willing to cave. Of course, I don't think it would come to that. In the end, I think he would have played.

The next argument you and others will throw at me is the bad locker room. Sorry to spoil your fantasies, but that locker room is not fixed. I don't think it will be fixed as long as Tomlin is still the coach and Roethlisberger is still the quarterback. You think the distraction is really gone? Wait until the Steelers lose a game because the offense sputters while Brown has a big game for the Raiders.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

Time to move on about the trade and about AB.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Tell it to thorn. He asked the question.

15. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    And for the lockerroom ... Tomlin deserves blame for that, but I'm going to give him another chance, since when the steelers had leaders like Hines Ward and James Farrior in that locker room, that was not a problem

If the locker room is still toxic, it deserves to be fired but it is possible with the departure of Brown and Bell that his problems are things of the past .... We will see but the steelers had too many ME player in the locker room for several years, which was a major problem .... We were not even able to beat the jaguars in the playoffs.:facepalm:

16. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Even James Washington thought the locker room was awful last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Tomlin now has full control of a team oriented locker room. The decks have been cleared of the "blemishes" Let us see what he can accomplish with it. Should he fail yet again, he is going to "kick rocks".

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    [QUOTE="Formerscribe, post: 678612, member: 2299]This idea that Brown is nothing special, just a product of the system and Roethlisberger, is just ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Is it? Grab your popcorn because we are about to see who is the special one. My money's on Big Ben.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry professor this is called a statement hence the period instead of a question mark.
    In my statement I said I was waiting for your detailed post describing how the team should have handled the situation. I didn't say I wanted to read it in this thread, simply that I was waiting for it. To represent that I asked a question when clearly I did not and to suggest I wanted it answered in this thread is dishonest and I would appreciate it if you would not misrepresent me in such a dishonest way.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I can agree with this and the same thing can be said about any position on the team. The best QB doesn’t win all the time either. It’s a team effort in the ultimate team sport. All this bickering about who made who and what this dip in production means is just another example of how stats can say whatever you want them to say. The only thing that matters is rings. The whole idea that well this guy didn’t win a SB is lame IMO . Does that mean all the quality players we have and others throughout the league aren’t any good unless they win a SB? I don’t think it works that way. Great players give you a greater chance most times,that’s it.

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think the Steelers made the right choice. Most likely not ABs first tantrum or his last. Reviewing ABs career as a Steeler which Rooney most probably did, AB wasn't worth his demands. Happens all the time in the business world. What exactly did AB do that is so special? I'll answer this one for you, He DESTROYED his character & reputation for everyone to see (except maybe our football analysis). And you still think the Steelers lost?

Take away what compensation the Steelers got for him for a minute. Yeah it sucked but who would want him as a teammate? The teams in dire straights which Pittsburgh has not been in decades. Pittsburgh has worn the crown without AB & will again.

22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It's one of those chicken vs the egg type conversations where until there is some evidence to back up the claims of both sides we won't know. I can tell you this as my opinion that although you win the Super Bowl as a team I don't always consider the talent and coaching as all being SB caliber. Remember the how can you let BA a super bowl winning OC go discussions? It really is just a circular discussion.

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree not every coach or player has to be bonafide SB caliber but for that one season enough people came together as a group to overcome the deficiencies of others. Just because there’s a long list of great players that never or may never win a SB shouldn’t take away from the talent they displayed as individuals. I just hate the argument that we never won with this guy and we’ve won in the past without this guy. If someone like Pouncey or Decastro never wins a SB does that mean we shouldn’t be happy to have had them on our team? I realize it gives us something to talk about but to me it’s relevance is way at the bottom of the important things that will make or break this team.

Like I’ve said before ,I’m glad this team seems to have found some motivation. I just have serious questions on whether or not they can sustain it. I look at how they played with the LB chip on their shoulders and how that focus seemed to fall off a cliff when his fate was decided. They can talk all they want about motivation and focus but it will take a special effort to put their money where their mouths are for a entire season. I for one am also not convinced that this locker room is healed by the removal of AB and LB. A lot of guys like to point out the subtraction of AB as a absolute positive because he was a bad teammate. The only problem with that theory is that seemingly there are guys that are still in ABs corner even after all the drama. I’m not so sure he’s the bad teammate to most that he is being portrayed as. Right now they are all saying the right things and talking a good game but I see a fragile situation that can still turn sour in a hurry if things start to not go their way. It’s gonna be a amazing season either way. Strap yourself in and enjoy the ride....

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the AB thing is very multifaceted. I'm sure the whole team felt they he was a good teammate that they all shared team goals but at the same time I think a big portion looked at that last week with him, and then at all their interactions with him aND felt that he really was in the wrong but wanted him with them. Then you have former teammates like Ryan Clark who I'm sure felt at times Brown is a good teammate but that he was headed for divahood, Then his strong response to his scorched earth campaign. So do I think they added by subtracting well yes somewhat but you can't deny it was a very big subtraction. Then you are right we need to see if this changed Tomlin and his coaching. I think Cam and Ramon aren't going to put up with anything stuff this season aND more than likely TJ will be some muscle behind them as well.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with formerscribe (yes I said it), in that, AB did throw a tantrum to get his way. I also believed the whole thing happened pretty rapidly. It seems that Brown used the circumstances to his advantage and caught his teammates off guard. This is why some players still seem to stand by him and others wrote him off. I think at some point after AB made up his mind to go, Ben could have said AB's mom wears combat boots, and it would have had the same impact. AB wanted to chase money and put the Steelers in a position where they had to release him. I'm not as concerned as some about other players trying the same tactic or this setting a precedence. How can you argue that Brown is the best receiver in the NFL and then worry everyone else on the team is going to try the same thing. They wouldn't be in the same position as the "best" receiver in the NFL. Sometimes you gots to do what you gots to do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.